Signature vs Sound Quality ?!
Aug 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

stoneshadow

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just interested....what wolud most of u prefer ?!

A headphone with the signature that match your music tastes...or something with a little better SQ/soundstage but lacking the colorotion needed for your kind of music/balanced headphones  ?!

popcorn.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 33

Quote:

A headphone with the signature that match your music tastes...or something with a little better SQ/soundstage but lacking the colorotion needed for your kind of music ?!

popcorn.gif

Hmmmmm I will really put sound signature(basic EQ and soundstage of headphone and etc) as a sub category of sound quality though. 

I think you should rephrased your question "Headphone with sig that match music taste vs balanced headphones"

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 33
I think this is the driving force behind all the numerous upgrades and sidegrades that most head-fiers go through: that is, trying to find that one pair of headphones that has both the ideal signature and perfect sound quality.

Personally, I think I have found my ideal pair in the hD650s. It has a signature that I enjoy, and the SQ, while not the very best, is plenty good for me.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 33
Signature refers to the flavor of presentation. Manufacturers tend to have a house sound that runs through their product line and helps distinguish their ca.s from those of other makers. SQ refers to how well a headphone does what it does. For example, Grasps tend to be bright while beyerdynamics tend to be darker. Grasps te.d to be intimate and in your face while Sennheisers to be more laid back and polite. These are differences in signature between brands. They have nothing to do with SQ. In the Grado lineup, the RS1 has a higher SQ than an SR225, which has a higher SQ than an iGrado.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
I think this is the driving force behind all the numerous upgrades and sidegrades that most head-fiers go through: that is, trying to find that one pair of headphones that has both the ideal signature and perfect sound quality.

Personally, I think I have found my ideal pair in the hD650s. It has a signature that I enjoy, and the SQ, while not the very best, is plenty good for me.

I am not at that class yet, but for me the m50 does it for me at current level. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 33

Quote:
Signature refers to the flavor of presentation. Manufacturers tend to have a house sound that runs through their product line and helps distinguish their ca.s from those of other makers. SQ refers to how well a headphone does what it does. For example, Grasps tend to be bright while beyerdynamics tend to be darker. Grasps te.d to be intimate and in your face while Sennheisers to be more laid back and polite. These are differences in signature between brands. They have nothing to do with SQ. In the Grado lineup, the RS1 has a higher SQ than an SR225, which has a higher SQ than an iGrado.

I see, I always have the misconception that they are almost category or sub category of each other though.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 33
yes, i think you're right...glad for u and yuor senns )))
Quote:

edited :wink:
Quote:

Hmmmmm I will really put sound signature(basic EQ and soundstage of headphone and etc) as a sub category of sound quality though. 

I think you should rephrased your question "Headphone with sig that match music taste vs balanced headphones"

yes but that falvours are preferinces...most of the time about how well that flavour match the music u like...becouse i think that's all about here...the most of the people that like the same signature like the same kind of music...i think )
so my question was wolud u prefer a flavour over how well the headphone does what it does overall :p
Quote:

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 33
It's funny because I based my purchase of the HD-600 on it's frequency charts (and not just reviews). I compared the HD-600 side by side to the chart of the HD-650. Based on this I determined that'd I'd prefer the HD-600 because of how it has a bit less bass and highs that are not as rolled off as on the HD-650.

I think it's safe to say that most of my favorite headphones might have similar sound signatures.

Overall, I don't think they always matter. On PAPER the Sony MDR-V6 sounded perfect, but it's not a headphone I like. It seemed completely different then what the chart says.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 33

Quote:

A headphone with the signature that match your music tastes...or something with a little better SQ/soundstage but lacking the colorotion needed for your kind of music/balanced headphones  ?!

i think u r saying the sme thing 2x. isnt the sq/imaging prt of the sound sgnture? i thot it was.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 33

maybe i didn't express myself quite clearly...what i meant to say...let's say u love the signature/house sound/flavour of the grado...would u prefer a sr60 vs a higher end headphone but without that signature...
a ex :...sr60 and sr225 has the same signature...BUT sr225 has a better overall sound quality...agree?...would u prefer the sr60 over say a k701 that is in the same price range and league like the sr225...?!...just becouse of the signature?!

Quote:
i think u r saying the sme thing 2x. isnt the sq/imaging prt of the sound sgnture? i thot it was.

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #14 of 33
I think this is why its advisable to own more than 1 pair of headphones. Switch headphones as you please. Being forced to choose between sounds is no fun: I have only rough guesses about how speaker guys do it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back