*Sigh* maybe computer audio just can't cut it
Sep 20, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 84

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
I was bored and decided to change my setup slightly for fun. My normal setup is Laptop -> Creative X-Fi Extreme Soundcard (optical out) -> Stock PS Audio DLIII DAC -> Head-Direct EF1 amp -> Headphones. I decided to try listening to a CD, and hooked up my DVD player's coax out to the DLIII, and A/Bed the same song from my CD and my computer. Lo and behold, the CD had a noticeably blacker background, better detail retrieval, and better dynamics. And this is through a cheap DVD player as a transport.

Am I doomed to having to listen to CDs instead of my laptop to maximize my experience?

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 84
Try skipping the X-Fi. If your DAC has USB input, try that.

ASIO helps as well, to some degree. Ultimately, there shouldn't be too much difference...

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 84
Are you playing the cd from the cd drive or did you rip it to the hard drive.? That can make a difference. Also what program did you use to play the cd on your computer? Also, what os are you using?

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 84
I was playing the CD from the DVD drive versus the same tracks ripped to my hard drive with Exact Audio Copy. Maybe I should try listening to the CD played from my laptop vs. the ripped file and take the DVD out of the equation.

I'll try the DAC via USB, but I remember early on thinking that it didn't sound as good as the optical.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 84
You mean "straight from laptop sound card just can't cut it." Try Squeezebox as transport. USB->SPDIF doesn't quite do it either, from what people tell me. A good USB DAC should do the trick; I've heard good things about the Ayre. Of course, for that kind of cash, one can simply build a silent desktop server and transport to a nice vintage DAC. So yeah, Squeezebox it.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 84
Yeah, unfortunately there just aren't that many good USB DACs out there - most DACs that have USB just do USB -> SPDIF (with a few exceptions, of course, but there aren't many options).

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 84
Is the X-Fi soundcard the limiting factor? Would this experience be different going straight out from, say, a Macbook's optical out?

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 84
It may be different if one is worse than the other; as for which is better, I have no idea. It's clearly a transport/jitter issue, though.

BTW does your Mac have Firewire? There's actually some pretty decent Firewire DACs available, mostly pro stuff.

Sep 20, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 84
Lol! Posted in the wrong thread.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the X-Fi soundcard the limiting factor? Would this experience be different going straight out from, say, a Macbook's optical out?

It could be. I compared the coax out of a 0404PCI card on my pc running Foobar with WAV to AIFF on my Macbook running optical out. Pretty darn close with the advantage going to the mac. So I think it may be in your interest to get a better soundcard or if you want real easy and great sounding, do what I did, switch to a MAC. And you can choose from lots of very good DACs that have optical inputs and not have to rely on a perhaps poorly executed USB implementation.

Sep 20, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 84
I doubt the optical out is the problem. Maybe the OP is using lossy with a low bitrate, or his computer is re-sampling at 48 KHz. Try using lossless and find out if you are outputting 44.1 KHz. An optical out from a computer sounds as good as any optical out. Digital data is digital data, if your software is not messing out with the data.

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt the optical out is the problem. Maybe the OP is using lossy with a low bitrate, or his computer is re-sampling at 48 KHz. Try using lossless and find out if you are outputting 44.1 KHz. An optical out from a computer sounds as good as any optical out. Digital data is digital data, if your software is not messing out with the data.

So is 44.1 preferred over 48?

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

I was playing the CD from the DVD drive versus the same tracks ripped to my hard drive with Exact Audio Copy. Maybe I should try listening to the CD played from my laptop vs. the ripped file and take the DVD out of the equation.

I'll try the DAC via USB, but I remember early on thinking that it didn't sound as good as the optical.

The best method I have found for ripping is dbpoweramp and Accurate-Rip. Beats EAC. Bit-perfect is not the whole story. the Offset must be dead-on.

More details here:
dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping

Player S/W is critical too. iTunes with Amarra on a Mac is the best current playback S/W IMO.

Finally, your hardware: converter, cables and DAC must be up to snuff.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sep 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

I was bored and decided to change my setup slightly for fun. My normal setup is Laptop -> Creative X-Fi Extreme Soundcard (optical out) -> Stock PS Audio DLIII DAC -> Head-Direct EF1 amp -> Headphones. I decided to try listening to a CD, and hooked up my DVD player's coax out to the DLIII, and A/Bed the same song from my CD and my computer. Lo and behold, the CD had a noticeably blacker background, better detail retrieval, and better dynamics. And this is through a cheap DVD player as a transport.

Am I doomed to having to listen to CDs instead of my laptop to maximize my experience?

On the contrary, when I tried to use a DVD player to replace my computer source, the output was hazy and a tad muddy. Maybe time to upgrade your computer as source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back