Sick kitty cat...update: Sydney has a tumor
Feb 3, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

beerguy0

Headphoneus Supremus
Our latest adopted cat isn't doing well. She's had tummy troubles since we've had her. Lately, we noticed her breathing was odd, kind of panting. We took her to the vet yesterday, and he drained a lot of fluid from her lungs. (And I mean a *lot* of fluid.) So we now have to administer two medications, one a tiny pill and one an oral liquid. The pills are no problem so far. The liquid is going to be another story altogether. This cat excels at medication avoidance. We usually wind up wearing or wiping up most of whatever we have to give her. We have six 2.5 ml syringes to administer to her.
frown.gif

On the plus side, she seems much more chipper than yesterday. She's way more playful, and her breathing is pretty much normal. Hopefully the meds do the trick, and we can stop calling her by her well-earned nickname, "Stinky".

Sydney, aka Stinky
227655872-L.jpg

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 35
Sorry to hear about "stinky", I've got a sick cat here as well. He's also adopted but didn't start getting sick for a few years after we adopted him. He vomits almost everyday for the last year. Frequent trips to the vet turn up nothing but bills. We think now that he has developed a food allergy which might be something to look into. He eats prescription food and takes steroids daily ( also very adept at avoiding the pills which reminds me...). Good luck with yours it can be difficult.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear about "stinky", I've got a sick cat here as well. He's also adopted but didn't start getting sick for a few years after we adopted him. He vomits almost everyday for the last year. Frequent trips to the vet turn up nothing but bills. We think now that he has developed a food allergy which might be something to look into. He eats prescription food and takes steroids daily ( also very adept at avoiding the pills which reminds me...). Good luck with yours it can be difficult.

For the pills, if they are small enough, ask your vet about Pill Pocket cat treats. Very tasty treats that have a small pocket in them. Tuck the pill in, squeeze shut with your fingers and give to cat. One of ours has needed steroids on and off for some time and this has been the only consistent way to get him to take the pills.

A_Sr.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 35
uh oh, was the stuff they drained from the lungs yellow and sticky? I heard about this rather rare disease that cats can get where their lungs fill up with fluid, and when it is drained, it turns yellow and sticky when exposed to air. There is no cure, and the lungs just keep refilling when they are drained.... I hope this is not what your cat has
frown.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 35
Used to have a kitty who looked just like her.

I hope she gets well soon, and careful with the liquid meds. When one of mine had to take antibiotics, I ended up with a few scars and regularly had pink foam on my face and all over the kitchen afterwards. Good luck and remind yourself that it is worth it.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 35
I had a kitty who passed away due to kidney problems. She looked just like your cat. I wish stinky a long and happy life, and a speedy recovery!

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 35
She looks too happy and content to be thinking of going anywhere! I'm sure she'll be fine.

She's in the best hands after all - yours
smily_headphones1.gif

At least she's taking her medication and acting more lively. If it had been really serious, I'm sure the vet would have said something. It sounds manageable, whatever it is. That's the main thing

Tell her Ollie - my 'cat on the mat' - says 'miaow miaow' from the UK
smily_headphones1.gif

olliemat.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back