Shure's Soft Flex Sleeves - looking to identify specific ones
May 26, 2010 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Tollundmanden

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been reading through the archives but I couldn't find any helpful info.

A couple of years ago I lost a pair of Shure E3C's that were given to me after using them for a theatre show. They were fitted with what I think is Medium soft flex sleeves. These were the best fitting earphones I've ever had so I was very sad to loose them, now I only have one tip left.

Since then I have been on a search to identify and find the same tip again.
I've bought packs of soft flex sleeves from various sources each time hoping that these would be the ones I was looking for but alas, small changes in the tip design has made them close but not perfect.

Here are some pictures of the progression of the soft flex sleeve.

The first tip from the left is by far my favourite of the three tips. It has the softest feel of the three and can be recognized easily  by the three indentations from the moulding on top of the tip. These came with the E3C's as was given to me, so I have no idea whether they originally was made for the E3C's or if they are from another Shure IEM.

The second tip is from a pack of EA410M tips that, as I understand it, replaced the discontinued PA758M. These have the same surface as the first tip, but is more rigid and doesn't have the same soft feel as the first tip. Also the bore is smaller than the other two.

The third tip came with a pair of SCL3 bought. The silicone is a bit thicker than the other two, but feels as rigid as tip number two. The main difference is that the surface is very different, it is not as smooth as the other two which leads to a seal that is less than perfect and a feel that is not as comfortable. The bore is larger than the second tip, but slightly smaller than the first.

Turned inside out we can see more differences in design.

The first tip has a simple marking of "M" to indicate the size. The second tip has more advanced marking of "84 0966 M" in raised letters and the third tip is marked "7283 - 120 M" which looks almost laser engraved.

If anyone can identify the first tip, or give me any info on what I'm looking for it would be greatly appreciated. Even better, if you have one laying around that you would be willing to trade I would be thrilled. I have an abundance of tips to trade, from years of trying to find a match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back