Shure's International Warranty: A Big Hoax?
Oct 5, 2009 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jaibautista

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings everyone!

It's been quite some time since I last posted here. I'd just like to ask for everyone's comment, hopefully the moderators and the experienced posters here would also pitch in, regarding Shure's International Warranty claims.

Back in January this year, I bought a pair of SCL2s here in Manila in a reputable Apple Mac reselling store (it's only one of the few stores here in the country that carry original Shure products, despite charging quite a steep price). Since I previously knew that Shure products are carrying a 2-year, no hassle international warranty, I was really sold to Shure's lineup even though there are better alternatives out there in the market (I hope Shure fanatics won't stone me to death for this statement...Haha. Tongue). So even though I really didn't have that enough money to spend, I plunked down PhP4000 (or around US$83) worth of my savings for a pair of Shure SCL2s.

My Shure 'phones were really a sight (and sound) to behold. Not only was it very lightweight and discreet-looking (when I was sporting a long hair look, the 'phones just disappeared from everyone's view), it was also a great bang for the buck. Even though it was certainly lacking hi-fi definition, it's a good pair relative to the money I've paid for it. In fact, it made me store my UE Metro.Fis somewhere else despite its better sound signature.

Then come late August, I got the shock of my life.

One late afternoon, as I was about to wear them on my way home, I noticed that the wiring near the left 'phone was greasy than to my liking. Upon closer inspection, I found out that the wiring was cut into fine pieces (3-7?) that portions have begun separating from the main wiring itself as if cut by fine razor. Though the separated wirings weren't entirely cut off from the cables (they were still hanging there) the copper wire that is used to be protected by the rubber/plastic covering was now exposed to the elements. I didn't think twice in sending the unit to the retailer where I bought the product. After two weeks, they told me that the Shure authorized service center here in the Philippines had some revisions and changed hands to another company; they advised me to bring my unit to one of their retail outlets so they can administer the warranty servicing (talk about great customer service).

So I did bring the unit to the retail outlet. Initially, they were hesitant in accepting my unit (one of the guys who received my unit told me that they only provide a three-month warranty to Shure units bought in the country, as opposed to the much-advertised two-year Shure international warranty). They were also, initially, trying to lay their hands off the warranty servicing issue since I bought the unit from a reseller that is not part of their supply chain. But after some talk, they agreed to accept the unit and have it serviced.

Fast forward two weeks (which is today) and the retail outlet rep sent me an SMS telling me that Shure's product manager here in the Philippines (who, I suppose, is responsible for warranty claims) wouldn't replace my unit because it's only the wiring that was was affected and not the unit itself. He was saying that I apply a DIY solution to the cut wirings by melting some rubber to close the opening.

Understandably, I was furious with his claims and explanations. I think it's only reasonable to expect a certain uniform standard of warranty service from Shure across all countries that are included in the international warranty agreement, knowing that for such cases, what Shure immediately does is to offer a replacement unit for such damages. I bought the SCL2 over the e2c here fully knowing the supposed improvement in the cabling they're using for the 'phones. And yet they can't do it here in Manila for reasons they only know. Another thing, I think it's unwarranted for them to suggest a DIY solution to the 'phones problem since the person who would be doing the fix (i.., yours truly) doesn't have any idea how on earth to fix such damage. The reason why I brought the unit to their attention is I am not trained to do such fiddling and I may add further damage to the unit. I don't want to fix the unit myself precisely because I might only give them another reason not to fix my damaged unit for tampering.

I am still awaiting their reply after I asked them to ask the product manager to reconsider my plea. But for those who have experienced servicing their damaged Shure units, do you think their recommendation of not offering to replace the damaged unit is unwarranted for knowing Shure's no-hassle warranty policy? Should they remain adamant in not replacing or at least repairing the unit, is there another recourse regarding my dilemma?

I hope to receive comments/suggestions from everyone, most especially from the moderators (and even from people in the forums connected to Shure).

Thanks a lot and all the best to everyone! Cheesy

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 31
Contact Shure Hong Kong office and tell them all about it. It is the HQ for Shure Asia operation.

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Contact Shure Hong Kong office and tell them all about it. It is the HQ for Shure Asia operation.

ClieOS,

Does that mean that what the Shure guys here in the Philippines are doing are short of not fulfilling the company's International Warranty agreement?

Thanks for the reply!

P.S. What do you think can Shure HK do about this? I've read in Shure's website that all warranty claims SHOULD only be directed to the nearest country of stay (which, in my case, is the Philippines).

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 31
Don't keep your hopes up for warranty in the Philippines. You know how people can get over here when it comes to replacements. You've directed your warranty concerns to our local service center but they turned you down so next best option is to move up the food chain. Contact HK, tell them your story, and be sure to tell them what the product manager advised you to do.

The advise the product manager seems pretty stupid tbh. That alone should give you some leverage with Shure HK.

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by migsev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The advise the product manager seems pretty stupid tbh. That alone should give you some leverage with Shure HK.

What he said^. If the new company that handles repair and service is trying to bully Shure old customer out of a warranty claim, Shure should know about it. The new company probably think since they didn't make money on the sale, they don't want to carry the burden.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 31
I thought the fixed thier cable problems in early 2008?

Same BS different year.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by migsev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't keep your hopes up for warranty in the Philippines. You know how people can get over here when it comes to replacements. You've directed your warranty concerns to our local service center but they turned you down so next best option is to move up the food chain. Contact HK, tell them your story, and be sure to tell them what the product manager advised you to do.

Yeah, it's really frustrating to service units here for warranty claims. For instance, I bought a ThinkPad in Singapore almost 2 years ago thinking that it has international coverage for three years. Yet whenever I press for warranty claims, I'm severely limited with the items I'll have them repaired. Good thing they handle the servicing quite fast.

THe main reason I bought Shures is the expectation of a uniform standard of warranty servicing. If I were to upgrade my 'phones, given such thinking, I am hard-pressed to get the Shures over UEs or Westones simply for the warranty coverage (I don't see Westone or UE repairing the 'phones here in the Philippines; I'll have to send them to the US through courier to have them repaired). But the BS the authorized Shure warranty people here are doing creates a bad precedent not only for me but for other Shure owners here in the Philippines.

Thanks for the reply!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 31
Shures cables are crap and they know it. I wouldn't touch any of thier underperforming, overpriced phones.

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same BS different year.

I was also thinking along those lines when I bought the SCL2s this year, knowing that the latest iteration E2Cs are better than its predecessors.

Well, I think I got the shorter end of the stick.
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same BS different year.

Cracking cable is mainly a SE530 issue. SCL2 is the same as E2c, which predated SE530 by several years - so don't jump to conclusion if you don't know the whole story.

Oct 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's why i prefer westone.. woohoo!

If only Westones are available in this part of the globe...
angry_face.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 31
hey jaibautista,

There was a guy who also had problems with his cable on a pair of shure e500s. I think he ended up getting a pair of se530s in exchange. Maybe its worthwhile having a look through the thread and seeing what you can use to further your own claim?

The thread is here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...9/index10.html

Man, all this cable and refusing to honour warranty business has really brought shure's name into the mud recently. Unfortunately companies will always put onerous terms into the fineprint of their sales contracts which means people literally have to read a 3 page document in size 0 font to find out how they are actually covered. I know in Australia i would definately be taking the matter up with the ACCC (government body that deals with consumer complaints) or at least threatening to do so. Usually this results in a retailer doing backflips to make sure you don't actually complain. Not sure if this is possible in the Phillipines.

Goodluck mate.

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by maultar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hThere was a guy who also had problems with his cable on a pair of shure e500s. I think he ended up getting a pair of se530s in exchange. Maybe its worthwhile having a look through the thread and seeing what you can use to further your own claim?

Two different stories.

The previous incident involves a pair of SE530 purchased from unauthorized dealer with parallel import. It isn't totally a Shure's fault. If the SE530 in question was bought from an authorized dealer locally, there won't be a problem.

This case, it is a SCL2 purchased from authorized dealer but the local distributor refuses to provide service. Note, local distributor has contract with Shure to provide customer service, but they are not Shure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back