Shure will not honour my warranty!!
Sep 28, 2010 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Earphonen00b

New Head-Fier
I bought some Shure SE420 earphones back in April 2009. I bought them via amazon market place, but the order was fulfilled by Amazon themselves.

In less than a year the rubber around the earphones had broken, and the extension lead broke - when you move it around the sond goes from one ear to the other.

Now when I got my earphones I registered them , and understood that I had a 2 year warranty with them. I contacted Shure but they say because I've bought it from an amazon markeplace sellerthey won't honour the warranty. Now this doesn't seem right to me. This is the first I've heard about it. It never said anything about amazon marketplace sellers when I registered them.

I was advised to go back to amazon, but they say they only cover things for a year. Fair enough but I'm angry that I wasn't made fully aware that I wouldn't have a 2 year warranty with Shure. Surely an order fulfilled by Amazon should come under the warranty?

I paid a lot for these earphones. It must be a design fault if the rubber breaks away that easily. I can cope with the extension lead as that is easily replaceable, but the rubber isn't. They look rubbish.

The only thing I can think of doing is writing a letter to complain. Perhaps find links to show how many other people have been affected with my issue. I should have acted sooner but I genuinely had no idea that my warranty wouldn't be accepted.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice, or if people had experienced similar problems with Shure. I uderstand you can pay to have them fixed, but I don't want to go forking out for that because I bet it won't be cheap.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 10
I had the same experience very recently with a set of SE530s.  

My item was sealed and genuine but because it was purchased from a ebay seller - not on the authorised Shure suppliers list.

They did not honour the warranty.

They quoted terms and conditions:

[size=10pt]This is what is stated on the Shure website;[/size]

[size=10pt]“The warranty is Shure's guarantee that the product will meet our standards of quality and performance. In order for this warranty to be valid, the consumer must, at the time the product is returned, provide proof of purchase in the form of the original purchase receipt directly from Shure or from a Shure authorized reseller. Shure strives to form relationships with resellers who will provide the best service and value to customers who buy our products. Authorized Dealers receive only inventory that is new, in factory-sealed packaging, with all accessories, documentation, and full factory warranty. Authorized Dealers receive extensive factory support, and they are the first to receive shipments when new products are introduced. Non-authorized resellers do not have any direct business relationship with Shure. Shure cannot guarantee the authenticity or condition of the items they stock, and we have no ability to intervene on the customer's behalf if necessary.”[/size]

I have no respect for Shure Honouring Warranties, their products are good in terms of sound but they control the price through only supplying to Authorised sellers.

So they can manage the supply and demand. 

What does it say about build quality when their new range 425, 535 has detachable cables, does this indicate that previous models are prone to cable breaking?

I Think the older range E5C had much better build of cables

http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/Shure_E5cnew.jpg

All statements are a personal opinion.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 10
There's a reason for companies to do things this way. It saves from fake hassles and gives the consumer that same protection and somewhere to go for service. An authorized retailer (maybe gray market) buying lots and reselling to amazon at a low profit for a quick fix doesn't do anyone any good. Save a few bucks but you takes your chances. These were bought second hand as far as shure is concerned and that's because it's actually the case. I suspect Shure may not be unhappy that you guys are posting here.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
There's a reason for companies to do things this way. It saves from fake hassles and gives the consumer that same protection and somewhere to go for service. An authorized retailer (maybe gray market) buying lots and reselling to amazon at a low profit for a quick fix doesn't do anyone any good. Save a few bucks but you takes your chances. These were bought second hand as far as shure is concerned and that's because it's actually the case. I suspect Shure may not be unhappy that you guys are posting here.

x2. Rule of thumb: if it's not an authorized reseller, automatically assume that warranty may not be available.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 10
That's the risk you have when you don't buy from an authorized dealer. So you saved a couple bucks by buying off ebay and you expect Shure to honor a warranty? Shure is not the only company that has this kind of policy.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 10
How do you validate that a seller is authorised by shure?

As the info on their site doesn't have an up to date list?

http://www.shure.co.uk/meta_en/where_to_buy/dealer_locator

They are many UK trusted sellers that are not on there?

Advancedmp3player.com
play.com

ect.

Or am I missing something? is there another list i'm not aware of?

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 10
If you're ever in doubt about a seller's authorization, you can email the headphone maker.  You may not get a reply ASAP, but they typically will respond within 48 hours.  That's my experience at least.  

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the replies.

I still think it should have been made clearer when I registered the earphones. Also if a order is fulfilled by an authorised seller it should be honoured. I can't remember it saying anywhere about authorised resellers. I'm sure i would have noticed it. I shall certainly be more careful in future!!

I'm going to send a letter to them anyway. I'll probably get the same response, but it will at least made me feel I have done all I can.

I can replace the extension lead, and I suppose i could remove the rubber, but they look a bit weird without them. Not sure there's any other way i can fix them myself. I suppose i should be grateful they still function.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
 Also if a order is fulfilled by an authorised seller it should be honoured. I can't remember it saying anywhere about authorised resellers. I'm sure i would have noticed it. I shall certainly be more careful in future!!

Actually you have mistaken the 'Fulfillment by Amazon' program to be something more than it ever has. The program is for seller to leave the stock in Amazon warehouse and when something is ordered from the seller's Amazon account, Amazon can ship the item out to the buyer automatically. In short, Amazon is the packaging / shipping agent for the seller, not the seller him/herself nor bears responsibility as a seller. Just like UPS, USPS, FedEx, or DHL have nothing to do with your warranty claim. It is between you, the seller, and manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back