Shure Sucks
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #16 of 51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When holding SE425 and SE535 in my hand, I thought the SE425 felt more solid and well-made.

That's funny.  I felt both in my hand and noticed no difference.

Weird... maybe the SE535 was a fake?

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #17 of 51
idk but i treat my 840s like trash.
throw them around.  drop them on the floor, sleep on top of them.  you name it.  stuff em in a bookbag without a case, and lug em around with books and stuff.
no issues.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 51

Quote:
idk but i treat my 840s like trash.
throw them around.  drop them on the floor, sleep on top of them.  you name it.  stuff em in a bookbag without a case, and lug em around with books and stuff.
no issues.

They are decently well built. I think the op isn't being entirely honest with how he treats his headphones.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #19 of 51
I've had my Shure SRH440s for over a year and haven't had a single issue. I don't throw them around or anything crazy like that, but I have put a bit of weight on them a couple of times without realizing it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #20 of 51

Quote:
They are decently well built. I think the op isn't being entirely honest with how he treats his headphones.

I actually treat all my stuff very well. i have had them for about 14 months and the adjusters have always been loose and flimsy. when they broke all i had done was pulled the 2 earpieces away from each other to put them on and the right ear cup snapped right off, also looking at the inside of them now, they are about 1/5th" thick on the sides and hollow inside, the plastic also turned white along the break showing that it is very low grade plastic.

Quote:
Not saying you shouldn't get them by why don't you use shures warranty?

At least get them replaced and sell the replacement.

I'll look into it but even if they are willing to replace them (14 months old and physically broken) they will be getting sold. I am not taking anymore risks with Shure products.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #22 of 51
This thread seems a little over-dramatic to me. 

Get them replaced and treat your purchases with a little more care in the future, or make a more well-informed purchase in the first place.  You could clearly see that the size adjusters were plastic when you got them.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 51
Actually I don't want to alarm anyone but I have it on good word that Shure are tightening up their warranty
procedures, especially outside the US for what ever reason.

I have seen a few customers return their headphones only to be told that the unit will not be warranted
due to abuse, only a little while ago, Shure would swap/repair even the most neglected pair.

Looks like someone in the board room is on the war path to recouping warranty losses. 
cool.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
Actually I don't want to alarm anyone but I have it on good word that Shure are tightening up their warranty
procedures, especially outside the US for what ever reason.

I have seen a few customers return their headphones only to be told that the unit will not be warranted
due to abuse, only a little while ago, Shure would swap/repair even the most neglected pair.

Looks like someone in the board room is on the war path to recouping warranty losses. 
cool.gif

Their facebook page is still filled with people praising shures customer support. I wouldn't worry to much.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:
HD600 build quality is better imo, but the color its an other story,lol. Adjuster is metal, like hd650.

SQ is more balanced, better bass, but less details in the midrange, midrange are also less forward in the HD600.

Midrange are the strongest point of the 940.

Two very good headphones, but if i had to keep one, it ll be the HD600, but the HD600 is less engaging.

How about the DT880 ? It has a similar price to the SRH-940, with good sound and build quality (metal headband, velour earpads, it is also lighter than the SRH-840 and SRH-940), but is not well suited for portable use (difficult to drive, no isolation, does not fold, not detachable cable). Some graphs:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880250ohm.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #26 of 51
Very unfair to slam a company based on an individual experience with a single product--and the warranty hasn't even been tested yet.

Shure's got a really decent reputation across its product lines. The 535 is widely praised by critics and consumers, they've been making other universals for quite some time, their first foray into headphones has been well received (the 440 in particular is an excellent first pair of monitor headphones), and perhaps most of all, their microphones are an industry standard for stage use, especially the SM58.

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #27 of 51
 Well that Shure sucks :wink:

And, I've been waiting SO LONG to say that :)

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 51

Quote:
This thread seems a little over-dramatic to me. 

Get them replaced and treat your purchases with a little more care in the future, or make a more well-informed purchase in the first place.  You could clearly see that the size adjusters were plastic when you got them.

Thoughtfully ignorant assumptions you have there. I purchased them online and the box is not see through, also none of the pictures i had seen of them online showed them extended.  i had no idea the adjusters were plastic until they were out of the box and extended. Also even if i had known ahead of time they were plastic, there is no way i could have known it would be such low grade plastic.

Anyways, I didn't abuse them and they still broke so that's all that really matters.

P.S I don't hate the product outright, the sound is great for the cost and they are very comfortable IMO, but something definitely needs to be done about the materials/quality of the adjusters on their future products, and i am not the only one that feels that way. a simple thin piece of sheet aluminum is all it takes. For $250 CAD i don't think that is much to expect.

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #29 of 51
OP - first I'd rethink your post subject.  If your beef is with the SRH840, then maybe "SRH840 Sucks" (not that I agree with that statement) - but "Shure Sucks" .... really ..... because of your one set of headphones.

Secondly - why don't you contact them and use the warranty (2 years if I'm not mistaken) - why drag things out on this forum - or were you just trolling for attention?

For the record, I owned the SRH840 and in my time with them - I thought they were buiilt pretty well.  I had zero problems with either the extenders or the wires.  Mind you - I treated mine with care.  Maybe you just got a bad pair - can happen.  But I haven't heard many people having similar problems, and a lot of head-fiers own them.  Anyway - use the warranty - if it is a genuine manufacturing fault, Shure will replace them.  Until you use the warranty - you will not really know if they suck or not - will you .... 
wink.gif

Also - what were you expecting from the SRH840?  They are a $130-$160 headphone (street price).  Yes - Beyers etc are actually built like tanks - but that's why you're paying well over $200.

Anyway - use the warranty and move on.  If you're put off Shure - fine - let the rest of us enjoy them.  Use the warranty, get a replacement pair and sell them.

Oh and @kiteki (always amused by your posts) SE425 and SE535 have same build quality.  Both use same mold.  In fact all the new SE series are very similar.  Maybe it was you who got the fake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back