Shure Sucks
Nov 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #31 of 51
lol 425 vs 535 build quality
ph34r.gif

However, the 215 and 425/535 is slightly different

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #32 of 51

Quote:
Thoughtfully ignorant assumptions you have there. I purchased them online and the box is not see through, also none of the pictures i had seen of them online showed them extended.  i had no idea the adjusters were plastic until they were out of the box and extended. Also even if i had known ahead of time they were plastic, there is no way i could have known it would be such low grade plastic.

Anyways, I didn't abuse them and they still broke so that's all that really matters.

P.S I don't hate the product outright, the sound is great for the cost and they are very comfortable IMO, but something definitely needs to be done about the materials/quality of the adjusters on their future products, and i am not the only one that feels that way. a simple thin piece of sheet aluminum is all it takes. For $250 CAD i don't think that is much to expect.

Sorry, not buying it.  Before I purchased my Ad900 I read every article I could find, looked up what materials it was made of, specifically looked for negative reviews/problems etc.  You could just as easily done a suitable amount of research.  Don't try and use online shopping as a cop-out.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #33 of 51

Quote:
Actually no. Plastic extender means it will snap like the srh840s. The only good thing about the srh940 is that it no longer has wires jutting out the side. But that isn't where most people have issues. The extender is made of plastic, PLASTIC. Thats the most stressful part of a headphone. It should be reinforced with metal. Hell even beats have metal extenders.

Incidentally, the Shure SRJ750 DJ (which is built like the SRH940) also has palstic extenders. And though it sounded awesome, I did actually see one snap right before my eyes during a meet.

Plastic extenders, I hope they fire the genius at Shure who came up with that design idea.

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #34 of 51
BTW metal adjusters aren't a guarantee of durability.

I had the Phiaton MS300, which had metal adjusters -- but they adjusters were connected to the gymbals and headband with cheap plastic. The metal adjusters were fine but the plastic that bound them to the headband broke... resulting in the same thing.  This was apparently due to the plastic being hollow to allow for the wire to pass inside (it's a single-ended headphone). This is incidentally the only headphone I ever had build issues with (aside from the Monster Turbines whose wiring is suspect).

Nov 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #35 of 51
Well, they're not even suppose to cost 250CAD.

Rofl.  

Nov 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #36 of 51
OP, sorry you had such a bad experience with your purchase but you:

A: Overpaid and got a lemon. In which case you should have done your research and returned it.
B: Overpaid and got scammed by a less than scrupulous seller. In which case you should have done your research.
C: Overpaid and did not take good care of your headphones. In which case you should step up your care for headphones.

I leave you to spot the commonality between the three choices.

I have a pair of Shure IEMs and they're sturdy as could be with a kevlar reinforced modular cable (reason why I chose them over Westone 4s) that can withstand quite a few heavy tugs (I have tugged the cable quite heavily in commuting with them) and even when they do break, I can get a replace cablement with or without a three button control. I have auditioned both the SRH840 and SRH940 and found the former to be fairly well built and fairly comfortable and the latter to be fairly well built and extremely comfortable.

Overall my experience with Shure has been largely positive (I'm not a fanboy of their headphones or IEMs but I still like them) and I'm sure that is the opinion of most people who encounter the Shure brand. Maybe not when it comes to sound, but at least when it comes to build quality.

Even assuming ALL SRH840s weren't well built, it still does not mean that Shure "sucks", it just means the SRH840 sucked. Shure does not build bad headphones for the express purpose of ruining the buyer's experience otherwise they wouldn't be one of the most well-respected names in the audio equipment industry.

Lastly, did you think it was a good idea, as someone whose fairly new to posting on this forum, that your first post should be one that denounces the quality of an ENTIRE company without having read up on that company's reputation or that you would receive a positive response from said post? I think not.

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #38 of 51
SE530s.... odear plastic!
oh and Shure North America is good
Shure South East Asia is BAD BAD BAD

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #39 of 51
I'm pretty sure the warranty and company policies are the same throughout the world.

Why do you say Shure SEA sucks? 

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #40 of 51
Called Shure SEA once to try and get my SE530 repaired, they said they wont do it but Shure NA does allow repairs outside of warranty period. 
No trade ins too (which I guess is normal) and from what I have heard from a few retailers here, they make them sit on returned faulty stock for long periods of time. 
But yeah, I was totally disappointed when I made the phone call and decided to not buy another pair of Shure here in HK (Hello Sennheiser IE8 + HD600!)
Back in Canada, I've had my E500 replaced with a new SE530 for warranty also a new pair of E2cs when mine broke. It was only due to these experiences that I went to buy the E4cs + E500s after the E2c.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #42 of 51

Quote:
When holding SE425 and SE535 in my hand, I thought the SE425 felt more solid and well-made.

I originally had the 425's and then upgraded to the 535's and the only difference is the amount of drivers. They are built the same as the 500's and 530's except they added the rotating connectors and added memory
to the part that goes around the top of your ears. The 535's have slightly more bass than my E500's.

As far as warranty issues with Shure NA, I know that in 2006 when a lot of people started having a lot of problems with the wire breaking at the earpiece, they started charging people for repairs, which was wrong because it was a known problem, then they came out with the E530's to replace them.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #43 of 51
horrid company, never again. they tried to offer me replacement upgrade for cable break problem at nearly the same price as a brand new unit and wouldnt honour the warranty. NEVER AGAIN will I buy their products.

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #44 of 51
I loved the SRH840's for the year or so I had them: good isolation, middle of the road type, sort of neutral sound with the mid centric tone I've come to appreciate from Shures of just about all stripes. But mine broke at the ear cup too, sort of like the op ... but that was my fault ... drinking while listening and what not, and my girlfriend was over ... and well, they got crushed. I still am planning on getting a replacement pair but I think I'm going with the 940's this time.

The 535's (since every one seems to be throwing them in to the mix here) can do no wrong to my ear: build quality, longevity, sound signature, the whole thing. I love them. They sound great out of my S:flo 2 and hardly need amping at all in my estimation. Limitless volume ceiling with nary a hint of distortion. And should I amp them with various options such as an Arrow w/ bass boost, or should I decide to experiment with EQ settings of some kind otherwise, they can be tweaked in to some of the most fun and involving IEM's I've ever heard. I'm on my second pair (had the 530's before and find the 535's to be an improvement in certain subtle ways). Combine all that with a bullet proof warranty/service policy and one of the best cables on the scene and they are no brainers for me.

I'd also like to try the 425's as I've heard nothing but good things about them (and oft times more positive than the 535's) ...

Rock..

.joel

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:
horrid company, never again. they tried to offer me replacement upgrade for cable break problem at nearly the same price as a brand new unit and wouldnt honour the warranty. NEVER AGAIN will I buy their products.

That's odd. 

Four years ago I wrote a letter to their service department asking for new nozzles for my e4c's (cause I had the first version without the notch and one of the ear tips got lodged in my ear) and they sent me a free pair of SE530's *along* with the new nozzles for my e4c's (here's proof).

You must have caught the wrong dude on the wrong day, mate.

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back