Shure Sucks
Nov 3, 2011 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Dasteru

New Head-Fier
Well thats it, i knew this day was coming and now its here. My shure SRH840's have finally bit the dust, I have been having nothing but problems with these damn things since the day i got them a little over a year ago. the cheap (26awg?) wire sticking out of the headband just asking to snap at any time, Adjusters that dont stay in place, a crushed in frame on the top of the band since they came out of the box, and now the right ear cup has just snapped right off at the base of the adjuster. $250 for these not even a year ago and already screwed. The sound quality is very good but the build quality is bar none the worst i have ever seen in anything. I have had cheap $10 made in china sony headphones that were 10x the quality of these "Things". Please save you're selfs the time, money and hastle and just dont buy anything made by shure.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 51

Quote:
Well thats it, i knew this day was coming and now its here. My shure SRH840's have finally bit the dust, I have been having nothing but problems with these damn things since the day i got them a little over a year ago. the cheap (26awg?) wire sticking out of the headband just asking to snap at any time, Adjusters that dont stay in place, a crushed in frame on the top of the band since they came out of the box, and now the right ear cup has just snapped right off at the base of the adjuster. $250 for these not even a year ago and already screwed. The sound quality is very good but the build quality is bar none the worst i have ever seen in anything. I have had cheap $10 made in china sony headphones that were 10x the quality of these "Things". Please save you're selfs the time, money and hastle and just dont buy anything made by shure.

You paid $250 for srh840s? Sir your crazy. I got mine for $130 in canada. For that price if they last me a year i will be satisfied. Shure has a good warranty. Use it they will replace it for free. IT is not fair to knock a company because you abuse their products. Mine have been good since i bought them. Yes i admit the durability is trash but if you take care of them they will last many years. Shure has a warranty. You might as well use it. $250 for these is way to much damn money.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 51

Quote:

The SRH-840 and SE535 totally suck...

...the SRH-940, and SE425 are a different story!!

better build quality, sound, everything.

Actually no. Plastic extender means it will snap like the srh840s. The only good thing about the srh940 is that it no longer has wires jutting out the side. But that isn't where most people have issues. The extender is made of plastic, PLASTIC. Thats the most stressful part of a headphone. It should be reinforced with metal. Hell even beats have metal extenders.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 51

Sorry, I got carried away... I haven't actually read anything or assessed the build quality of the 840 versus 940, however I did like the design of the 940 quite a lot more.

When holding SE425 and SE535 in my hand, I thought the SE425 felt more solid and well-made.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #6 of 51

Quote:

Sorry, I got carried away... I haven't actually read anything or assessed the build quality of the 840 versus 940, however I did like the design of the 940 quite a lot more.

When holding SE425 and SE535 in my hand, I thought the SE425 felt more solid and well-made.

I haven't held either in my hand but i own the se215. They all look like they have the same build quality to me. The se215 just had some bad batches. Mine has been really good and has proven itself to be very durable. Although the paint has chipped off.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 51

Quote:

A ____ is as strong as its weakest part. This principle never fails. In the case of full-sized headphones, the weakest part tends to be the extenders, doesn't matter how solid the rest of the headphone feels.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 51
To the op. I believe you got a lemon. Most people haven't had any issues. I believe you should send it to shure and explain what happened. They will send you a new pair. Shure has excellent customer support and they should have no issues with replacing your broken headphones. Good like my friend.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 51
the 840 was too hot and heavy on my head lying at the equator-belt..i tot it was built like a tank, uncrushable..hehe.
hmmm...i lov the beefy big sound of the 535, until the slightly leaner W4 won my heart. Either one would make me a happy man actually.
popcorn.gif

Testing out the 940 now, the clarity stands out quite remarkably...catching my attention...
reminded me of the sony z1000. Form factor of cos the sony gets my vote. I wished Shure would have changed
the mould by the time they designed this superb 940....shureckkks.
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[/]
Testing out the 940 now, the clarity stands out quite remarkably...catching my attention...
reminded me of the sony z1000. Form factor of cos the sony gets my vote. I wished Shure would have changed
the mould by the time they designed this superb 940....shureckkks.
tongue.gif

Wow... nice you received it!

Post more Z1000 comparisons, I want to know what the Z1000 is like!

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #11 of 51
Sorry for my bad english.

Yes, i ll even say, that the srh940 is even worse build than the srh 840. Ok, there is not cables spinning in the 940, but otherwise, plastic in the 940 is noisy, seem less robust and there is even less metal than the 840. Indeed, the top of the outer shell, seem to be made of aluminum in the 840 and plastic "?"  in the 940 (even with both before my eyes, i'm not 100% sure of the material) . Yes i know, its really nothing, but when we compare both, yes the 940 seem to be of poorer quality than the 840, strange for an higher headphone.

Maybe i'm crazy, but i also prefer the thick 840 headband with perforated coating to minimize sweating. The 940 headband, like the HD598 headband are good, but can be uncomfortable for long periods.

940 has a better SQ, but build is worse for me.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 51
I am thinking about splurging a little and replacing them with the sennheiser HD 600's, Does anyone know how the build quality is on them compared to the 840's? Is the adjuster metal or more barbie doll plastic? Also how is the SQ compared to the 840's? if anyone has heard both.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 51

Quote:
I am thinking about splurging a little and replacing them with the sennheiser HD 600's, Does anyone know how the build quality is on them compared to the 840's? Is the adjuster metal or more barbie doll plastic? Also how is the SQ compared to the 840's? if anyone has heard both.

Not saying you shouldn't get them by why don't you use shures warranty?

At least get them replaced and sell the replacement.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 51
HD600 build quality is better imo, but the color its an other story,lol. Adjuster is metal, like hd650.

SQ is more balanced, better bass, but less details in the midrange, midrange are also less forward in the HD600.

Midrange are the strongest point of the 940.

Two very good headphones, but if i had to keep one, it ll be the HD600, but the HD600 is less engaging.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's funny.  I felt both in my hand and noticed no difference.  Shure also states that they use the exact same injection molding process for both the SE425 and SE535.  They're even the same size case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back