Shure Stereo Solo Phone SA-1
Feb 16, 2003 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
This may be the oldest dedicated headphone amp I've seen (at a consumer level). Someone has reworked the circuit prior to my receiving it, so it's not original parts values. Still, it's a decent little amp. Note the phono input: mandatory on vintage high fidelity equipment for the youngsters out there
evil_smiley.gif
The veneer is a nice wood-grained plastic
tongue.gif

shure1.jpg

shure2.jpg

Feb 17, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 14
can you give us some insight on how this thing sound?

Thanks,
Purk

Feb 17, 2003 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 14
Fascinating. Where do you find this stuff?

Feb 17, 2003 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Fascinating. Where do you find this stuff?

I found that one on ebay for about $20. Sonically, it's undistinguished, but I've been listening to high-end tube amps, so it may have hit me at the wrong time. It's very source sensitive, and source improvements can make dramatic differences, so I may be premature in characterizing it. As near as I can tell, it appears to have been made in the mid-60's. Early 70's at the latest. The switches are similar to those used in the Fisher 400, which is about the only real clue I have. There's no date on the amp, and I got a schematic from Shure (needed a minor repair) that's also undated.

I've got to check out the phono section. If that's any good, my opinion will rise sharply.

I bought this one primarily for historical value.

Feb 17, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Uuuuhhh, pretty
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I like your interconnects though! OTOH, dual set support, source switch - maybe one could put it in a slick case?
Is that a switch on the back (left side)? What is it for?

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Is that a switch on the back (left side)? What is it for?

It's not a switch. It's a convenience AC outlet. You can plug your tuner or turntable in there
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Uhm Hirsch..

There seems to be only a couple of screws that hold the top on...

Let's See The ****!

ok,
erix

Feb 17, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by erix
Uhm Hirsch..

There seems to be only a couple of screws that hold the top on...

True...and those aren't them
tongue.gif
Those screws hold the circuit board in place. The screws that hold the case on are on the bottom.

I'll open it up and take pics when I get a moment...

Feb 17, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Is it tube?

Another toy eh?
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 14
I have one of these amps as well. I also have the schematic and original one page info/spec sheet if you need a copy. I used it when I first got into headphone amps with some grado SR-60's.
I have it put up but will get the info out to see if anything of interest is in there.

edit: I see you already have the schematic. Please note that on mine (I got a photocopied one from Shure as well) someone noted a mistake in one of the numerical values of a resistor or something in the actual diagram. I'm not familiar with DIY stuff so bear with me, but I though it worth noting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back