Shure SRH940 or Sennheiser HD 380 Pro
Dec 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ImShureAboutIt

New Head-Fier

Which one should I choose?​

Pardon me, but this is my first post. Sorry for any misinterpretaitions or anything else.For several months now, I've been searching the internet for the best closed can. After intense amounts of research, I'm on the fence between the Shure SRH940, yes the 940, not the 840, and the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. My source is 256 KBPS AAC files out of an ipod with an L3 cable and Fiio E11 amplifier.I want a fairly neutral headphone that can handle moderate to no equalizing. I listen to punk rock, classical, and classic rock. If you suggest other headphones, I'll be shure to look at it. 

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Well, all I  can say is that the srh940 has great sound quality, but what prevents me to recommend them is their built quality (lot of user reported cracks).
Sennheiser is better known for it's line of open headphones (people are interested by models that begin with hd555 and upward).
Although they are some exceptions, such like the on ear hd25 II 1 , which I  do not like too much , and the momentum  which was quite hyped recently too.

Quote:
I listen to punk rock, classical, and classic rock.

Well, perhaps the hd25 II  1,  but  you might find more "audiophile" alternatives.

The srh840 is more popular than srh940, it has a slight mid bass hump that everyone seems to enjoy, and  doesn't have the reputation to break as easily.

Have you considered IEMs too ? It seems you are looking for portable use , I  think it's easier to find satisfaction with iems.

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 14
       I do use my headphones in portable and home use, so I'd prefer closed-sets due to isolation and sound leakage. At first, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD598, but the open design of it kept me off of it. While I don't need best-of-the-best isolation or noise cancellation, it still would be an important aspect of the headphones.
      No, I have not tried IEM's. The Apple Earbuds (Which I don't use.) I find very uncomfortable (In addition to terrible SQ), and I don't want to take risks paying $100 or more on an IEM like the Shure SE215 and find myself having unembarable pain in my ears. However, if IEM's are much differant in comfort than traditional earbuds, please let me know, and if so, I may try the Shure SE315. Thanks for your feedback to an audiophile-to-be (In several years, of course!)
     P.S. My price limit is $200 USD, although I will jump up to $250 USD.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 14
       Can anyone help me? I really want to know which one, or other headphones to get. Also, don't forget to vote in my poll.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 14
IEMs are much different than earbuds. (Someone had to say it :p). That said, there are different kinds of IEMs and different kinds of "tips" (the part that goes in your ear), which will influence comfort and isolation. Unfortunately my overall experience with IEMs is pretty limited (maybe five pairs in my lifetime - I just keep a decent set for mobile use and don't worry about it; truck over to the IEM board and find the guys who get really into IEMs for good advice (there are literally hundreds of options!)).

On the headphones you've mentioned, I've only tried the HD 380Pro, and didn't find them all that spectacular. They're not bad, but they aren't anything that got me really excited either. Fit is average, sound is average, soundstage is the only thing that stands out at their price point (The only other cans at that price point which compete there are the Bose AE2, which are more comfortable but more colored (so likely more hit or miss on preference - I'd wager they'd do you very well for classical, but not as much for punk rock)).

Personally I'd steer you towards the Koss TBSE/DJ100 - they'll handle classical just fine, but they will do better with guitar riffs and cymbal crashes imo. The Sennheiser HD 280 should also be considered.

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
IEMs are much different than earbuds. (Someone had to say it
tongue.gif
).

Obobskivich, thank you for the information. I'll try out the Shure SE215's in April or May when it's summer and closed headphones I hear get really hot. If I really love them to death, I will get the Shure SE315/425 or the upgraded versions of those after either of the two headphones above kick their buckets.

Qoute by Obobskivich:
      "Personally I'd steer you toward the Koss TBSE/DJ100"
      They are signifigantly cheaper in price than the Senns or Shure mentioned, but if the are an absolute steal and underpriced, I may consider it. Just remember, my price is $200 USD, though I may go up to $250 USD. I was able to find some new discounted SRH940's, I forgot to say it earlier, but I'll also use the headphones for gaming line out of a PS Vita with a L5 on games like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Madden NFL 13.

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
      Obobskivich, thank you for the information. I'll try out the Shure SE215's in April or May when it's summer and closed headphones I hear get really hot. If I really love them to death, I will get the Shure SE315/425 or the upgraded versions of those after either of the two headphones above kick their buckets.

Well I  got positive experiences with regular dynamic driver (vs balanced armature) , and was impressed by the bass  & soundstage especially:
the discontinued senn IE7, and the more recent yamaha eph-100. I've never tried BA.

Quote:
    They are signifigantly cheaper in price than the Senns or Shure mentioned, but if the are an absolute steal and underpriced, I may consider it.

The dj100 was hyped/ praised by tdockweiller , and describe them as "budget king". One problem is that he recommends to replace the default pads to get the best sound.
The cheap koss ksc75 is impressive for the price, so perhaps  the dj100 too.

Otherwise there are countless closed  headphone probably interesting:
beyer dt 770
vmoda 100
ultrasone 780
brainwavz hm5
krk kns8400
german maestro GMP 8.35
ath-m50
etc ....

But don't ask me how they sound, I  just noticed them because of interesting reviews.
The ath-50 is popular, but some hate it.
You could also just look at the top listing of head-gear at head-fi:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear
It's not a  reliable way to find a headphone that match your taste, but it's not worse than getting random recommendations from people
that didn't try many headphone.

I  guess you'd prefer over ear, instead of on ear (comfort).

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 14

Qoute by Obobskivich:
      "Personally I'd steer you toward the Koss TBSE/DJ100"
      They are signifigantly cheaper in price than the Senns or Shure mentioned, but if the are an absolute steal and underpriced, I may consider it. Just remember, my price is $200 USD, though I may go up to $250 USD. I was able to find some new discounted SRH940's I forgot to say it earlier, but I'll also use the headphones for gaming line out of a PS Vita with a L5 on games like Uncharted Golden Abyss and Madden NFL 13.

Price isn't a good indicator of performance or quality, and spending as much money as you can rarely is the best course. The DJ100 are a really good closed headphone, and consistently liked by owners for a reason. If Tuesday Morning exists near you, they might still have the TBSE (it's the same headphone) in stock - $50. And they have a two month return policy (Amazon will do extended returns for xmas right now as well). I'd say try them out. Koss has a knack for forcing a re-evaluation of what things should cost in any segment they get into. :)

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Otherwise there are countless closed  headphone probably interesting:
beyer dt 770
vmoda 100
ultrasone 780
brainwavz hm5
krk kns8400
german maestro GMP 8.35
ath-m50
etc ....

I  guess you'd prefer over ear, instead of on ear (comfort).

What about the Beyerdynamic CUSTOM One Pro's? Reveiws praise their abilaty to switch between closed, semi-open, and open with switch of a button. They have interchangable earpads, headbands, and earcup covers. They are made in Germany and have lots of metal built in. Closed means better bass responce and isolation. Open means clearer sound and larger soundstage.
      Quote:
Price isn't a good indicator of performance or quality, and spending as much money as you can rarely is the best course. The DJ100 are a really good closed headphone, and consistently liked by owners for a reason. If Tuesday Morning exists near you, they might still have the TBSE (it's the same headphone) in stock - $50. And they have a two month return policy.

I never heard of a store called,"Tuesday Morning." I live in Middletown Ohio. At Best Buy, they had the Koss DJ100 on display. I know high price doesn't necessarely mean a better product (Beats by Dre come to mind.) but you can infer that a Sennheiser HD800 will sound more neutral than a HD595 from the price and product line.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
         What about the Beyerdynamic CUSTOM One Pro's? Reveiws praise their abilaty to switch between closed, semi-open, and open with switch of a button. They have interchangable earpads, headbands, and earcup covers. They are made in Germany and have lots of metal built in. Closed means better bass responce and isolation. Open means clearer sound and larger soundstage.

Seems a good idea, I'd like to try them too.
Quote:
but you can infer that a Sennheiser HD800 will sound more neutral than a HD595 from the price and product line.

Having both, the hd595 & hd800, I  disagree.
First , neutrality is not the only quality wanted ( you might want detailed, bass impact, soundstage etc ...).
Otherwise the hd595 is a bit mid centered, while the hd800 has a treble emphasis (very smooth, i.e no edgy peaks in frequency response which explain it doesn't bother too much). I  know some would defend the hd800, arguing that it would sound neutral with the right source (I  presume with a dark one).
The most neutral of Sennheiser line seems the hd600 .

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #11 of 14
          By the way, these will be my first real headphones. The only headphones I use right now are the Turtle Beach M5 headphones which I got for $50. I got them 4 months before hearing about companies like Audio-Technica,AKG, and the Head-Fi website. So even if you experienced audiophiles say that a certain product is excellant. I will have something like a warped sense of what good for the price being way too strict. I'll be happy with whatever I'm getting. Just so you know, I'm actually a 7th Grader that knows a LOT more than my peers. None of them understand why Beats are terrible and think any company like Beyerdynamic sucks just because they never heard of it.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
          By the way, these will be my first real headphones.

Well each time I  try a different headphone, it's a different experience; I'm not sure there's a "real" or "wrong" headphone, just is it enjoyable ?
My first "audiophile" headphone  was the hd595, and I  found them a bit boring (even if I  noticed its qualities ).
Quote:
None of them understand why Beats are terrible

Well, it's only the "beats solo" that are unanimously considered rubbish , while  the general consensus for the beats line is that they are overpriced.

Quote:
I'll be happy with whatever I'm getting

Great, so no need to endlessly ask where your money would be the best spent, because there's no definitive answer (and only your ears  know).

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 14
Tuesday Morning is kind of hard to describe - but their website indicates they still have the TBSE: http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp (they do have physical retail locations - I've never bought anything from them online actually, in other threads people have reported their shipping is DOG slow fwiw).

For $50, I'd say try'em out. They come with a free album and carry case too. I like them better than the HD 380. But i tend not to like "monitor" style headphones - if you were going to step up to spending more, I'm likely to suggest more colored or "fun" headphones, like the ESW9A.

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 14
       I got the Sennheiser 380 Pro's for Christmas today. I have not yet done a "burn-in" yet for those that believe (I'm do not know if it is or not real) but it sounds absolutely amazing plugged into my home stereo playing Assasin's Creed III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back