Shure SRH840a
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #61 of 178
I agree! What are the other headphones you compared it too?
Mainly the old 840, the M50x, M40x, and DT770. The quality of the timbre/tonality blows away the M50x/M40x (it's most obvious competitors). But I have all the HP's in my signature, and can reference those, anytime. I was recently using just the DT770 for studio monitoring (comfort), and occasionally, the 6xx & Sundara. For casual listening, I use the 1000XM4, Airpods Pro, and sometimes Koss PortaPro (I use the Koss with my portables/non-bluetooth).

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #62 of 178
Mainly the old 840, the M50x, M40x, and DT770. The quality of the timbre/tonality blows away the M50x/M40x (it's most obvious competitors). But I have all the HP's in my signature, and can reference those, anytime. I was recently using just the DT770 for studio monitoring (comfort), and occasionally, the 6xx & Sundara. For casual listening, I use the 1000XM4, Airpods Pro, and sometimes Koss PortaPro (I use the Koss with my portables/non-bluetooth).

I have the 840 and have been considering the 770 or upgrading to the 840A when my old ones inevitably crack. You'd choose the 840A over the 770? I'm using them for personal, no professional use. I've liked the 840 sound signature.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #63 of 178
I have the 840 and have been considering the 770 or upgrading to the 840A when my old ones inevitably crack. You'd choose the 840A over the 770? I'm using them for personal, no professional use. I've liked the 840 sound signature.
Def the 840a. The only area where 770 wins, is comfort. If you like a scooped/smiley EQ, and listen at quiet levels (the bass distorts a bit early), you may really like the 770. The 840a has better tonal balance, and goes louder.

Feb 24, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #64 of 178
I've been away for a bit. Got the covid. It wasn't horrible. Apologies to the person I was supposed to measure the ears for. Was gonna borrow a friend's caliper but kept forgetting to pick it up.
I've been missing the old 840s. I really like their sound. The 840a... I don't know, I don't love them. The headband made a quiet little snap noise the other day when I was putting them on. They don't appear to be broken but I feel like Shure is still cutting corners with this build and that's ultimately why I wanted the 840a because it looked like it was built better. And it is in most respect but I keep thinking about the sound of the old 840s.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #65 of 178
Hey guys,
any chance for comparison with Focal Listen/Listen Wireless?

Oh, by the way, how good are the plastics? As far as I remember, old line was pretty cheap - noisy/screaky with every head movement.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #66 of 178
Hey guys,
any chance for comparison with Focal Listen/Listen Wireless?

Oh, by the way, how good are the plastics? As far as I remember, old line was pretty cheap - noisy/screaky with every head movement.
I cant comment on the Focal comparison, but the plastic is lighter (and cheaper?), and is a better design than the old 840. The swivel points of the cups are not in an easily breakable position. Its way more comfortable, and though its early, It's a practical and utilitarian design, that I'm confident will hold up. The light weight of the 840a's is a very welcome attribute, and a highlight. My old 840's that I've had for 4-5 years, never broke, but they are generally uncomfortable compared to most other closed-backs, due to the pressing angle of the cup joints (i have a small-medium size adult head).

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #67 of 178
Got my second unit just last week after sending my first one back in January... I liked it back then, but did not want to add another headphone to my collection. Yet I somehow could not get it out of my head, and here I am... I really like its sound signature, comfort is OK (though I'd prefer deeper pads). The 3m cable is driving me nuts though... I don't want a fixed coil somewhere that's heavy and tends to get caught somewhere, and its just much too long: I use the 840A with my iPhone, which sits near me. I even bought the coiled cable for the 840, just to realize that they changed the locking mechanism and that cable won't fit the 840A. Making a cable incompatible with an A revision, that's beyond me... Why not make the locking mechanism the same as with the older models (which is even shared across several models) and offer a shorter cable for all of them?

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #68 of 178
Got my second unit just last week after sending my first one back in January... I liked it back then, but did not want to add another headphone to my collection. Yet I somehow could not get it out of my head, and here I am... I really like its sound signature, comfort is OK (though I'd prefer deeper pads). The 3m cable is driving me nuts though... I don't want a fixed coil somewhere that's heavy and tends to get caught somewhere, and its just much too long: I use the 840A with my iPhone, which sits near me. I even bought the coiled cable for the 840, just to realize that they changed the locking mechanism and that cable won't fit the 840A. Making a cable incompatible with an A revision, that's beyond me... Why not make the locking mechanism the same as with the older models (which is even shared across several models) and offer a shorter cable for all of them?
What was wrong with first pair?
Yeah, cable thing seems a bit weird, don't get that aproach with changing locking mechanism and that's for first. Second thing, SRH840A aren't cheap, these are in price range of K371, M50X, Focal Listen and many other cans and yet, Shure doesn't bother to add second cable for mobile use...

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #69 of 178
I cant comment on the Focal comparison, but the plastic is lighter (and cheaper?), and is a better design than the old 840. The swivel points of the cups are not in an easily breakable position. Its way more comfortable, and though its early, It's a practical and utilitarian design, that I'm confident will hold up. The light weight of the 840a's is a very welcome attribute, and a highlight. My old 840's that I've had for 4-5 years, never broke, but they are generally uncomfortable compared to most other closed-backs, due to the pressing angle of the cup joints (i have a small-medium size adult head).
Thanks for the info. Seems like 840A are quite good in terms of materials and comfort. Still hesitating though, as Focal's are pretty darn good cans, probably my favourite closed back headphones in this price range - sometimes I try new cans and after shorter or a bit longer time, I'm coming back to Listen( don't even know which pair I currently own).

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #70 of 178
What was wrong with first pair?
Yeah, cable thing seems a bit weird, don't get that aproach with changing locking mechanism and that's for first. Second thing, SRH840A aren't cheap, these are in price range of K371, M50X, Focal Listen and many other cans and yet, Shure doesn't bother to add second cable for mobile use...
There was nothing wrong, I just want to keep my headcount down — and failed :wink:
In my spectrum they are quite cheap actually, so I wouldn’t of expect Shure to include two cables. What bothers me is that change to the locking mechanism and the generally missing short cable. I’m thinking about cutting that coiled cable into shape… but I guess I’d loose the locking ability for that cable.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #71 of 178
Shure customer service was extremely unhelpful tracking down a replacement cable for the 840a. First, they replied with a screenshot of a Google search for a replacement cable. Only after they elevated it to their parts department did they even acknowledge that the cable is different (and currently out of stock).

May 10, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #75 of 178
I received SRH840A and I'm really enjoying it.
It's really hard to relate SRH840 and SRH840A. from design to sound, almost everything has changed. It might should have called SRH850 or something.

Swivel-able earcups and new headband design makes this headphone really comfortable to use.
significantly lighter as well. according to what shure says, it's 25% lighter.

sound-wise, 840's DF-ish flat became 'Harman Target'-ish flat with a slight bass boost.
clean, detailed sound makes 840A still great for monitoring purposes, but if you are really looking into such purpose you might wanna check out less bassier SRH440A as well.
bass is adequate, clear and it does not cover up other frequencies, but it's still quite bassier than other conventional 'Monitoring Headphones' including 840.
depending on what you're listening, sibilance and female vocals might sound harsh to your ears. but it was just below 'annoyance level' to me.

oh, and if your head is quite bigger than average, you might wanna try it out before you buy one.
quite a lot of people in Korean audiophile community are suffering from 840A's short headband length.

Who is the built on these ?Are the hinges plastic or metal ?
Mainly plastic, but hinges, inner-headband are made with metal parts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back