Shure SRH840a
Jan 16, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #31 of 178
I have no direct comparison with the 840s, so I can’t comment about it. What I found on the 840a is a fairly flat response. For now they seem not to tire prolonged listening. Today I‘ll use for some vocal tracking, I’ll report back a deeply impression.

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #33 of 178
Yes, you know I need closed backs because I can't use the open backs at nights (today was a very pleasant day with my HD 800s, but now I need closed backs... Right now is night here).

At the end, I prefer my Sony Z7s over the Denons for most of the genres I like. I know that for EDM (the briefly I tried them with that genre) the 9200s are spectacular, but I prefer the warmth of the Sonys for the genres I use to listen to and wonder how the "big brother" will sound.

At first, I'm going to ask for a trade for the Z1Rs.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The AH-D9200 isn't the warmest of cans; that prominence in the treble region doesn't help matters, IMO. It's more parts bright and energetic than lush and full-bodied.

The MDR-Z1R is very much a big brother to the MDR-Z7M2. In a manner of speaking, they are like peas in a pod. Sadly, I don't have the MDR-Z7 available for comparison; otherwise, I'd be happy to put all 3 headphones in a direct shootout.

Jan 16, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #34 of 178
Ok, after a couple of hours of vocal tracking session, here’s my thought: I feel really comfortable with his clamping pressure, for me is the right amount. I confirm the early impression of a flat frequency response, maybe some low mids are missing as the OP said, in fact some voices slightly lose their body, however there’s no over hyped frequency at both ends of the spectrum, and the results is a non fatigue in a long tracking session.

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #35 of 178
Ok, after a couple of hours of vocal tracking session, here’s my thought: I feel really comfortable with his clamping pressure, for me is the right amount. I confirm the early impression of a flat frequency response, maybe some low mids are missing as the OP said, in fact some voices slightly lose their body, however there’s no over hyped frequency at both ends of the spectrum, and the results is a non fatigue in a long tracking session.
can confirm your impressions - from my guitar recordings.
But I dont think that some low mids are missing.
In fact I think that vocals sound close and "full" on the 840A.

Im coming from the K271mk2 and I guess any newer HP sounds "fat" compared to them :D
But voices are also more distant and somewhat "thinner" on the K371 and the DT700ProX - which I compared with the 840A.
So I wonder what you compared them to?

Jan 16, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #36 of 178
can confirm your impressions - from my guitar recordings.
But I dont think that some low mids are missing.
In fact I think that vocals sound close and "full" on the 840A.

Im coming from the K271mk2 and I guess any newer HP sounds "fat" compared to them :D
But voices are also more distant and somewhat "thinner" on the K371 and the DT700ProX - which I compared with the 840A.
So I wonder what you compared them to?
I compared with the ath m50x which generally have an emphasis on the low frequencies, but in this case my impression could be influenced by the key of the song, so take my thought not entirely reliable, ’cause I’m still in the early impressions. Yeah, I’ve used the k271 for years, I can confirm that any newer headset sounds fat compared to those cans😀.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #38 of 178
How do you find the bass of them? Do they manage well all the bass frequencies or have an emphasis in mid-bass, for example?
As I previous said, they’re extremely balanced throughout the frequencies, that's just what I expect from a studio headset. I found no emphasis in the mid bass section. Can be a little boring for casual listening, ‘cause there’s no pumped basses and sparkling highs, but again, after all it‘s a studio headset, so balance is the goal he wants to achieve.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #39 of 178
Shure 840 finally arrived yesterday. I listened and looked. I will not change to version 840A. I'll buy a headband in reserve and that's it)

ps I hope Shure doesn't ruin their model with the letter A. The old 840s are very popular for their sound and price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back