Shure SRH840a
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #16 of 178
Aaafgghhh I'm so torn. I really like the new build but I like the sound of the 840 better. The difference is slight but the 840 just sounds smoother to me. I think there's a little more mid bass. The 840a sounds great but it's missing that mid bass. Midrange makes things sound forward which is great but sometimes it doesn't sound as balanced/smooth to me compared to the 840. I want to keep one (840/840a) for headphone work... like editing, because these aren't that fatiguing to me. I'll use the dt700x for vocal tracking and different perspective cause they're scooped in the middle and people love that sound. I have a pair 1840 as overall perspective along with my monitors. Both 840(a)s are very similar but the slight difference is killing my decision making right now.

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 178
Aaafgghhh I'm so torn. I really like the new build but I like the sound of the 840 better. The difference is slight but the 840 just sounds smoother to me. I think there's a little more mid bass. The 840a sounds great but it's missing that mid bass. Midrange makes things sound forward which is great but sometimes it doesn't sound as balanced/smooth to me compared to the 840. I want to keep one (840/840a) for headphone work... like editing, because these aren't that fatiguing to me. I'll use the dt700x for vocal tracking and different perspective cause they're scooped in the middle and people love that sound. I have a pair 1840 as overall perspective along with my monitors. Both 840(a)s are very similar but the slight difference is killing my decision making right now.
Is the depth of the ear pads the same? Are the inner width and inner height the same?

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 178
I thought srh840a would be a good company in terms of bass along with srh1540. I think your first imression implied that srh840a is bassier, then srh840a has less midbass, I confused which one has strong bass?
Also I did not like more forward midrange if it's so.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #20 of 178
I thought srh840a would be a good company in terms of bass along with srh1540. I think your first imression was srh840a bassier then srh840a lacks midbass, I confused which one has strong bass?
Also I did not like more forward midrange if it's so.
Yeah that was my first impression. I can't really tell now. I have to give me ears a break (been working on a song). But I was doing some listening tests and I think the 840a has a little more sub base where as the 840 has that midbass that makes it sound smoother to me.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 178
Yeah that was my first impression. I can't really tell now. I have to give me ears a break (been working on a song). But I was doing some listening tests and I think the 840a has a little more sub base where as the 840 has that midbass that makes it sound smoother to me.
I could'nt trust first impressions too. When you have time could you please compare some metal and jazz tracks for concrete comparison?
Thanks for answers.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #25 of 178
It looks like the 840A. This is a fix for the shortcomings of the 840 version. And there the main drawback is the fragility of the headband. (And shallow ear pads.)

By the way, (my guess) if you press the 840A closer to the ears, the sound will be similar to the 840. Or put ear pads from 840.
From personal experience: usually, ear pads have a very strong effect on sound.

Jan 15, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 178
It looks like the 840A. This is a fix for the shortcomings of the 840 version. And there the main drawback is the fragility of the headband. (And shallow ear pads.)

By the way, (my guess) if you press the 840A closer to the ears, the sound will be similar to the 840. Or put ear pads from 840.
From personal experience: usually, ear pads have a very strong effect on sound.
Any improvment in soundstage wise?

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #27 of 178
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions of them.

What do you think of the comfort? I see the pads a little shallow and I don't know if my ears will contact with the mesh inside (anyway, I will check in some days :relieved: ). The headband seems to be very comfort from the pics... Do the pads produce sweating or hot after extended periods of time?
The pads are deeper than on my K271mk2 (maybe you know them?)
I dont think that your ears will contact the mesh inside.
Cant say much about the breathability or heat, but I guess its average for a closed back HP.
They feel a tad more "closed" than the K371, but so far I had no issue with that.

Jan 15, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #28 of 178
Any improvment in soundstage wise?
Draw your attention. That I don't have an 840A for direct comparison (This conclusion seems obvious when looking at Shure's page for the 840A and the 840. It's essentially the same description. The main difference is in the packaging and the headband. So I think this is just a model update with bug fixes. Most likely at first made a headband and then picked up the speakers under the headband, so that the sound would be similar to the previous model.Otherwise, they would not change the cups and ear pads, but simply change the headband.

I listened and measured 840 and 440, unfortunately at the time of purchase the 840A was not yet known. I would probably look for an opportunity to measure and listen to the 840A, or I would still buy the old version of the 840, because I measured and listened to them. BUT 840A is of interest) What if they are better by an order of magnitude ..

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #29 of 178
Sony MDR-Z1R incoming, my friend? :wink:
Yes, you know I need closed backs because I can't use the open backs at nights (today was a very pleasant day with my HD 800s, but now I need closed backs... Right now is night here).

At the end, I prefer my Sony Z7s over the Denons for most of the genres I like. I know that for EDM (the briefly I tried them with that genre) the 9200s are spectacular, but I prefer the warmth of the Sonys for the genres I use to listen to and wonder how the "big brother" will sound.

At first, I'm going to ask for a trade for the Z1Rs.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #30 of 178
The pads are deeper than on my K271mk2 (maybe you know them?)
I dont think that your ears will contact the mesh inside.
Cant say much about the breathability or heat, but I guess its average for a closed back HP.
They feel a tad more "closed" than the K371, but so far I had no issue with that.
Thanks, I haven't tried that AKG. I have tried only one studio headphones, the Beyer DT 150. What about the clamp pressure of the ear pads?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back