Shure SRH840a
Jan 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #49 of 178
Have anyone tried pad swapping? I remember the Shure 1540 pads being very comfortable for me.
I tried pad swapping since I had Hyperx Cloud Alpha S pads sitting around and were a good size, it brought out even more bass / sub bass and the highs came out more as well. Became V shaped I think some people would actually enjoy it that way, though I do think treble was getting into the slightly fatiguing. The standard pads have foam layer and cloth layer overlap, so any other pads will generally have less dampening and bring out he highs more i think

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #50 of 178
Just got my pair. First impressions are:
- tuning is fine, nothing that immeadiately sounds wrong.
- decent imaging
- soundstage is ok, but could be better
- highs probly could be more prominent, but not bad.
- bass goes low and sounds clear
- clarity is fine, but could be better
- rumble, slam, impact is good enough. But others do it better, still not bad for the price.

Overall, these are decent headphones for the price. They are worth the money ~140 Euro.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #53 of 178
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I got 840a and 440a a week ago, already owning K371 and 58X, just coming from using Hifiman 400i (2020) for a month. Using Apogee Groove.

Sub-bass: 840a>440a>K371>58X (the earpads on 840a & 440a have more "memorial" memory foam and therefore better seal for me than K371).
440A has the best looks:)
I don't consider any of those really canny sounding, but in direct comparison, K371 is the "canniest".
All are great with sibilants, but I do hear the most harshness on the K371, even if on rather few songs.
K371 also always sounds more distant than others.
All lack a bit of air, 840a probably least.
440a is best for pulling vocals out, especially soprano vocals (Kate Bush). On the other side, male vocals are fuller on 840A, lacking a little bit of body on the 440A (Nathan Evans "Wellermann").
Sub-bass and bass are more defined and punchier on 840A than on 440A, but they are both great, for me in the range of Hifiman i400 (2020) with EQ.
Also heights are maybe a bit clearer on 840A.
Sometimes on higher volumes in some songs bass can overwhelm the vocals on the 840A (Amy Winehouse Back to Black), not because of low midrange bleed, but because of sheer power. Well it is maybe because I'm 46 y.o. and starting to need more mids/highs:) On the other side if I want to listen at lower/moderate volumes (which is mostly) I would always prefer the 840A.

All those three closed backs are surprisingly similar to the 58X in the midrange, sibilants and highs. I don't see why I would bother with 58X any more, considering midrange quality, better sub-bass, almost the same lack of air, less/no need for amp and the practical isolation advantages of closed-backs.

So I prefer 840A over all of them, but I would not consider it as a substantial sonical step-up over the 58X, except for the bass.

However, now I need an open-back that really beats the 840A :)

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #55 of 178
Do the 840A with swapped original 840 pads sound more like the original?

I've been in love with my 840's for over 10 years, but I've now broken at least 7 of them. They always crack on the thin plastic that connects the left ear cup to the headband.

Having a redesigned, more durable headband in the new 840A sounds appealing but only if they sound the same.

Feb 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #58 of 178
Do the 840A with swapped original 840 pads sound more like the original?

I've been in love with my 840's for over 10 years, but I've now broken at least 7 of them. They always crack on the thin plastic that connects the left ear cup to the headband.

Having a redesigned, more durable headband in the new 840A sounds appealing but only if they sound the same.
I like 840 too. He can change the headband. Since the wire passes through the air from the cups to the headband, this can be done even without soldering the wires. The old 840 don't have a perfect headband.. it creaks and may break. But the sound is worth it!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #59 of 178
These new 840a's are my favorite headphones. They are great for both casual listening, and studio monitoring. They're well balanced/rounded, and don't do anything wrong. They improve on the old 840, with better/lighter design, more even frequency balance (more bass, and no 9k peak like the old 840), and easy drive ability. I'm going to buy a second pair. I have tons of headphones, and the 840a is the only pair I now want to use. - It's that good.

Feb 23, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #60 of 178
These new 840a's are my favorite headphones. They are great for both casual listening, and studio monitoring. They're well balanced/rounded, and don't do anything wrong. They improve on the old 840, with better/lighter design, more even frequency balance (more bass, and no 9k peak like the old 840), and easy drive ability. I'm going to buy a second pair. I have tons of headphones, and the 840a is the only pair I now want to use. - It's that good.
I agree! What are the other headphones you compared it too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back