Shure SRH840 a good first set?
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

renniche

New Head-Fier
Up to this point in my life I've used crappy Apple iPod and iPhone earbuds and crappy computer speakers to listen to my music.

But I'm a music critic, so I figure I'm obligated to have a good set of headphones (and I also just want a good pair now).

Are the Shure SRH840 a good entry point? I won't be looking to upgrade anytime soon, this set will have to last for five years or so.

I want over-ear, closed, with good bass as I listen to a lot of hip-hop and electronic music.

I can't tell, but it doesn't look like these are noise-cancelling. I'm primarily going to be using these at home, so maybe that's not a dealbreaker for me. My budget is $300, and it looks like I can find these online for about the $200 mark.

Anything I should know?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 17
Either thoes or the Ath m50s would be perfect for you. With the extra cash i would try and buy a relatively cheap amp too.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 17
The Shures are indeed an excellent choice!  You'll enjoy their deep well extended bass, excellent midrange and well extended smooth highs. You will literally rediscover your music and they are driven easily without need for an amplifier.  So go ahead and buy with confidence!  I have feeling you won't be disappointed.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
The Shures are indeed an excellent choice!  You'll enjoy their deep well extended bass, excellent midrange and well extended smooth highs. You will literally rediscover your music and they are driven easily without need for an amplifier.  So go ahead and buy with confidence!  I have feeling you won't be disappointed.

Thanks! I will probably want an amp and DAC as well for desktop use. What's a good pair to use with the Shures?

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 17
The shure's are well balanced and analytical, are you looking for a portable amp/dac? 

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Hmmm ... I don't think the 840's have enough bass.  Very nice mids though, but not enough bass.  For me there's a tilt from not enough bass to very nice mids to a hair too much treble.

And I am not a basshead, and I like Grados in spite of their rep for pushed mids and treble.

smily_headphones1.gif

I would seriously suggest you try to audition these before you pull the trigger.  The M50's might better meet your needs.  You might also want to look into the Beyer DT770's.

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
Hmmm ... I don't think the 840's have enough bass.  Very nice mids though, but not enough bass.  For me there's a tilt from not enough bass to very nice mids to a hair too much treble.

And I am not a basshead, and I like Grados in spite of their rep for pushed mids and treble.

smily_headphones1.gif

I would seriously suggest you try to audition these before you pull the trigger.  The M50's might better meet your needs.  You might also want to look into the Beyer DT770's.

What's the difference between the DT770s and the 770 Pro-80s?

And yeah, maybe I should test out the SRH840s... I'll just have to find a place in Edmonton that carries them.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

And yeah, maybe I should test out the SRH840s... I'll just have to find a place in Edmonton that carries them.

I have seen Shure headphones at a few music/guitar stores here.

770 Pros have more bass than the regular 770's (32 ohm, 250 ohm, or 600 ohm).  The regular 770's have more bass than the 840's, but the Pro model might have too much.  :)

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Quote:

I have seen Shure headphones at a few music/guitar stores here.

770 Pros have more bass than the regular 770's (32 ohm, 250 ohm, or 600 ohm).  The regular 770's have more bass than the 840's, but the Pro model might have too much.  :)

I'm going to go out and see if I can find a pair of the Shures to test tonight. I'm not worried about bass that causes whiplash — and if I'm not mistaken, I can't expect subwoofer rumble from headphones (nor do I want that kind of bass, either) — I just don't want to get a bassier set at the expensive of the overall sound, if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back