Shure SRH750 vs. Audio Technica WS70
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
This is perhaps the golden question for me. I am at the cusp of getting one or the other.

The Shure has the advantage of being one-sided in the cable, I really like that. It's also cheaper than what I can get the WS70 for. Other than that though I don't know which will sound better for me.

Can anyone offer up a comparison of how the two sound? Might be too much to ask since I realize these two are very new and not too many people are making the effort to get them.

But I really want to know how the bass compares on both of them.

May 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 33
750DJ sounds better for me. 

May 31, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 33
These are just my impressions as I do not own the 750 yet. Basically the 750 is a more refined version of the M50. Clearer treble and crystalline mids with sweet lows. Less bloated but deeper extending bass still has a Loy of body and power. I loved it.

Jun 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 33

Quote:
These are just my impressions as I do not own the 750 yet. Basically the 750 is a more refined version of the M50. Clearer treble and crystalline mids with sweet lows. Less bloated but deeper extending bass still has a Loy of body and power. I loved it.

++ I have the same experience having owned the M50 and now playing around with the SRH750 DJ. The Shures are simply better headphones than the M50, period. I can't think of any area where the M50s outperform SRH750.

Jun 24, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 33
^ they don't but aren't really that far off.  I think it has a lot to do with their overall tone and coloring.  The 750djs are just great and well colored to present music in a fun way.  That bass hits deep, but its not powerful like the shure 440 or something similar.  Their stage is not as wide as the m50, i think its actually more  square than rectangle and wide like the m50.

i just posted this in another thread, but if you want a portable mini version of the 750dj, get the JVC HA-s700 lol.   They are very similar.  

I also want to mention that the Ws70 is much more powerful and hard hitting than all of them. They are less clear than even the JVCs, but do things in a different way.  The coloring on the jvcs to 750 to ws70 are three totally unique experiences. 

the 750s are square shaped in stage, provide loads of coloring, the bass is crystal clear and hits immensely deep, not even close to portable and easily driven

the ws70 are tall, like a rectangle standing on its shortest side, very tubed in presence, its coloring is less exaggerated than the 750djs, and its bass is hella powerful and boomy, but not as clear as the 750dj, very portable and you can use the Shure 840 pads over them and TOTALLY CHANGE their sound into a mini love child of the 840 and m50, and are also very easily driven

its a pick your poison type thing.

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 33

Quote:
^ they don't but aren't really that far off.  I think it has a lot to do with their overall tone and coloring.  The 750djs are just great and well colored to present music in a fun way.  That bass hits deep, but its not powerful like the shure 440 or something similar.  Their stage is not as wide as the m50, i think its actually more  square than rectangle and wide like the m50.

i just posted this in another thread, but if you want a portable mini version of the 750dj, get the JVC HA-s700 lol.   They are very similar.  

I also want to mention that the Ws70 is much more powerful and hard hitting than all of them. They are less clear than even the JVCs, but do things in a different way.  The coloring on the jvcs to 750 to ws70 are three totally unique experiences. 

the 750s are square shaped in stage, provide loads of coloring, the bass is crystal clear and hits immensely deep, not even close to portable and easily driven

the ws70 are tall, like a rectangle standing on its shortest side, very tubed in presence, its coloring is less exaggerated than the 750djs, and its bass is hella powerful and boomy, but not as clear as the 750dj, very portable and you can use the Shure 840 pads over them and TOTALLY CHANGE their sound into a mini love child of the 840 and m50, and are also very easily driven

its a pick your poison type thing.

Well, the SRH750 is certainly a little colored here and there, but I still think it is fairly accurate overall. I don't consider ATH-M50 to be much more accurate, if at all. SRH750 has emphasis on the bass region, but so does the M50 IMO and with the M50s the bass can actually overpower the lower mids sometimes, which does not happen with the SRH750. The Shures also have much better micro detail than the M50s - they are much better textured and I can hear things in my music which I was never able to pick out with the M50. Moreover, I think the treble is much better represented on the SRH750 - M50 has a somewhat thin, slightly harsh and metallic tone in the treble region, while the highs on the Shures are much more open sounding and also more refined without a hint of that metallic quality that the M50 has.

In regards to soundstage, I the M50 may be a little wider indeed, but I consider the SRH750 DJ to have superior stage and imaging overall. The placement of instruments is more realistic and stable with the Shures IMO, and the soundstage has much better sense of depth and also sounds more open than the M50 stage, which sounds cupped in by comparison.

Honestly, I think that SRH750 is just a more hi-fi headphone overall than the M50 and they are not quite in the same league, but to each their own of course. I find the Shures to offer a more realistic, musically richer and ultimately more immersive listening experience than what the ATH-M50 can muster.

Oh and BTW, I think the bass on the SRH750 DJ is plenty powerful and punchy! I think even most bassheads will be perfectly satisfied with their bass output. For me personally, the bass can become too much at times at high listening levels, but is perfect at low to medium volumes.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 33
I'm closely in agreement with the pianist. I would say the SRH750 DJ is one level higher than the M50. The diff is in the micro details; one of the M50's weaknesses which I felt after upgrading to higher end cans was its lack of resolution. The 750 is not deficient in this account and is just simply a little better than the M50 in just about every aspect. In some there are a few trade offs (like less overall bass output) but the trade off is generally for the better, and definitley better in my book (less overall bass but deeper and more defined). As a basshead I am very happy with the amount of bass the 750 has, and I love how it manages to keep the bass separate from the mids. I used to think the M50 had great separation but I then moved on to stuff like the AD700 and K701 and I felt the M50 was deficient here, whereas the 750 not so (reminds me of the UM3X actually in how the bass is a separate layer beneath the mids and treble). 

As said the soundstaging was much superior overall. I am not sure about the M50 having a wider soundstage. I still remember the M50 having a very closed soundstage, like a box around your head, especially when I compared it to the DT770 when I first got the DT770. The Shure is not particularly large in soundstage either so I'd say it's a wash with the M50, but the imaging and separation are superior.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 33

Quote:

As said the soundstaging was much superior overall. I am not sure about the M50 having a wider soundstage. I still remember the M50 having a very closed soundstage, like a box around your head, especially when I compared it to the DT770 when I first got the DT770. The Shure is not particularly large in soundstage either so I'd say it's a wash with the M50, but the imaging and separation are superior.

Yeah and the soundstage on the Shures also sounds much more open, almost as open as that of a solid mid-fi open backed headphone. M50 clearly sounds like a closed can by comparison.

I also agree that the separation on the SRH750 is much better than on the M50 - I forgot to mention that.

BTW, listening with the Shures right now to some smooth acoustic music and really digging their sound!
biggrin.gif
I am enjoying them WAY more than I ever enjoyed the M50s!

Jun 25, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 33
Yes! Exactly! Gonna have a headphone meet again with my buddies tomorrow. Someone's gonna bring the Shures again, I think it's about time I bought a set for myself, I'll just have one more listening session with them to "convince" myself before I go out and get one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back