Shure SRH440 Vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Vs. Sony MDR-XB700
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Drakokirby

Head-Fier
So I have been scurrying around these forums for a few days and it seems that I have come down to the 3 most popular Headphones that fit the standards that I require:

*Closed so no one will be disturbed by my music since I will most likely be using this in my classes and outside on campus

*The Everything Headphone who are all solid with Bass, Mids, and that stuff

*Under $100ish, looking through sites like Amazon, Ebay, and Newegg

So I think I would be satisfied with any 3 of these Headphones but I would really like a current or past user of any of these headphones or better yet, someone who has own 2 or all 3 of these Headphones. They will be used with a Sansa Clip+ most likely unless I decide not to sell my Nokia Xpressmusic 5310. I listen to a wide range of music that is usually R&B and Rock 

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Don't even consider the XB700's if you're looking for a balanced headphone. While it's definitely a fun, crazy bass headphone, it's far from balanced.

The M50's are pretty rounded though, and they will not leak sound as much as the XB700's, since the XB700's are actually semi-open. They're also a lot less silly looking than the XB700's.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

For your uses, you'll want closed headphones that do not leak sound. That should eliminate the Sony. The M50 is a popular choice. I haven't used it. Your choice: the M50 with the shorter coiled cable, or the M50s with the long straight cable. I own the SRH750DJ. It holds the sound in well. I'm guessing most would find it more fun to listen to than the M50 with rock music, but then it sells new for more $. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 5
The SRH440 and M50 are quite similar in FR from 250 Hz to 10 KHz.

However, the M50 have stronger bass than the SRH440 from 20 Hz to 200 Hz.

So, if you listen to music that is inherently bass-involving (like hip-hop, techno) then the M50 would be the better choice.

For rock, classical, jazz, there is little difference, and you might take advantage of the lower selling price of the Shure SRH440 (around $100 USD).  The current selling price of the M50 is at least $120 USD, for those that even have it in stock.

Furthermore the SRH440 have a sensitivity of 105 dB compared to the 99 dB of the M50, which means the 440's are a little louder given the same volume setting on your playback device.

Both headphones take about the same amount of effort to drive them, since 44 Ohms vs. 38 Ohms impedance isn't all that different.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 5
Shure 440's - well balanced, not a lot of bass
XB 700's - they are for bassheads

The M50 meets your requirements, pretty much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back