shure srh440 or denon ah-d1100 or others?
May 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

azkaazkaazka

New Head-Fier
Currently, I own shure srh4400, and want to upgrade. is it denon ah-d1100 a decent upgrade? how would you compare these 2 headphones? 

my budget is around $150-$250 maybe any other alternatives? I'm not a basshead, listening to some alternative, jazz, blues, and pop-rock (no hip hop and rnb). I need a closed-back headphone.

May 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 9
I suggest you stick with SRH440, it is a good headphone :)
For under $ 250, you might get different sound characteristic, but not necessary better than SRH 440.  If you like Shure sound, get SRH840, smoother, more refined, with best imaging I heard from closed headphone.  Or Shure SRH750 DJ for fun sounding and excellent bass.  The new SRH550 DJ is warmer, loose bass, less detail than SRH750 DJ.  Overall I prefer SRH750 DJ over SRH550 DJ, more natural tonal balance with better detail and bass.

Or if you want something different, the popular M50 is something nice in that price bracket :)

May 19, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
What are you looking on your next upgrade? more details? soundstage? do they need to be portable?

the srh440 is vey natural sounding cans, but the soundstage isn't that wide (CMIIW). I want a more wide open soundstage headphone, has good high, and enough bass (not overpowering the song). portability would be a bonus.

May 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #5 of 9
Never in a million years would I call the 440 a natural sounding can.  While its a great can, its colored and bass heavy, its placement of sound is very unnatural.  

The D1100 is not great for soundstage, while it responds well, its not much of an improvement if any at all.  All that combined is simply asking too much, I've spent years trying to find exactly what you described that you want with no success.  You will have to make a sacrifice in some areas.  I suggest the Fostex t50rp or the JVC HARX900

May 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Never in a million years would I call the 440 a natural sounding can.  While its a great can, its colored and bass heavy, its placement of sound is very unnatural.  

The D1100 is not great for soundstage, while it responds well, its not much of an improvement if any at all.  All that combined is simply asking too much, I've spent years trying to find exactly what you described that you want with no success.  You will have to make a sacrifice in some areas.  I suggest the Fostex t50rp or the JVC HARX900

Are you confusing it with something else? SRH-440 isn't even remotely bass heavy! I've heard it with my own ears. It's even more neutral than the SRH-840. Here's a graph:

Sure looks bass heavy
tongue_smile.gif

May 20, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:

Are you confusing it with something else? SRH-440 isn't even remotely bass heavy! I've heard it with my own ears. It's even more neutral than the SRH-840. Here's a graph:

Sure looks bass heavy
tongue_smile.gif

nooo, its so far away from bass heavy. this case closed. I've got my new pair of beyerdynamic dt770pro/80, it sounds pretty much the same with shure but will all aspect better. warmer sound than srh440, the mids stronger than srh440, the high possibly as best as the shure. of course I need to burn this dt770pro first before making any further comment :p

thx for the replies everyone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back