Shure SRH440 Impression
May 4, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #331 of 427
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help with my question. I've had the srh440s for 3 years now and 6 months ago I decided to attempt to improve the comfort of my phones. I added the head band padding from the hd650s as recommended (essential upgrade I've found) and replaced the stock pads with the 840 pads. Now I'm no audiophile but to me the sound quality of the phones was seriously compromised. I'd read so many comments saying how this was a must upgrade and in terms of comfort it's a huge improvement but the quality of sound is terrible compared to stock. I stuck with the 840 pads hoping I'd warm to the sound. Recently I'd been thinking about buying some new headphones (940s or momentums) but thought I'd switch the pads on my 440s back to stock. I instantly remembered why I loved the 440s. Now my question is are the 940 pads going to be any better than the 840 pads were? If the sound signature degrades as much as with the 840s pads I'll live with the less comfortable stock pads. If it's close to the stock I'm willing to give them a try.

Can't comment on the 940 pads but are you sure you got "real" 840 pads? I really like my 440 with the 840 pads so much more. It really removed all the things I didn't like about the 440 stock. But on the other hand, if you are happy with the stoke pads, why change? Just enjoy your music. No need to tinker if you love the sound. :)

May 4, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #332 of 427
Yeah I'm pretty sure they are legit. I can see how someone wanting more bass would enjoy the change as there's certainly more bass presence but the highs and vocals really grate to my ears. Detail I find is also lost. All down to the individual I know. I'm listening mainly through my ipod 5.5 and the fiio e12. The fiio is great and adds a decent bass boost when I need it without distorting the highs. I'm happy to stick with stock but the 840s are unquestionably more comfortable. I was hoping 940 pads would be as comfortable but with a very similar sound signature.

May 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #333 of 427
Yeah I'm pretty sure they are legit. I can see how someone wanting more bass would enjoy the change as there's certainly more bass presence but the highs and vocals really grate to my ears. Detail I find is also lost. All down to the individual I know. I'm listening mainly through my ipod 5.5 and the fiio e12. The fiio is great and adds a decent bass boost when I need it without distorting the highs. I'm happy to stick with stock but the 840s are unquestionably more comfortable. I was hoping 940 pads would be as comfortable but with a very similar sound signature.

Finally someone who agrees with me, yep the srh840 pads are alot more comfortable, too bad the sound is very harsh.

I remember back in 2011 when i got the srh440 and people keep recommending the srh840 pads. I was using it for like 2 years straight, but i was a noob back then so i didn't realized it actually sounded worse. I always thought the srh440 was very harsh in the vocals, then i was curious and swapped back to the original pads and i was very surprised to hear the difference, vocals indeed sounded quite a bit better.

This review is very good and  tells the true story about the pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-440-professional-studio-headphones/reviews/8086

I'm curious about the srh940 pads too, i ordered the hm3 and hm5 pads, but i will take a while to arrive.

May 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #334 of 427
Glad you agree rhiga. I was thinking my hearing must be damaged or something judging by all the pro 840 pad comments. Again I'm no expert and although I enjoy listening to my music and wanting to hear it in its best light I don't own lots of high end headphones. I did hear a big quality drop with the 840 pads however. It's a personal preference but I found it a big drop. I experienced exactly what the reviewer in the above link found (although his description is far better than my novice vocab could describe).
I was all for spending on a new set of cans but once I switched to stock I have to say I'm very happy with the sound. Strange how you forget just how good they were.
Rhiga you must let me know how you get on with the h5 pads. I've read they're good but one persons good is another's terrible when it comes to head phones it appears. Sounds like you have a similar sound preference to me so I'd be interested in your opinion.

May 4, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #335 of 427
Frankly, the change in sound meant so little to me if I couldn't even wear the headphones with the stock pads for very long. Considering commutes of about two hours each, and the fact that I'd be using these when out of class doing homework, the stock pads were a big "no." That said, I think I'm beginning to understand what people meant by the harsh sound.

May 4, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #336 of 427
I'm lucky in that my ears are smaller than the average so the cups never caused a real discomfort with rubbing. The 840 pads just made the wearing a more pleasurable experience (if not the listening). Having said that before I modded it the head band was torture after an hour.

May 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #337 of 427
I'm lucky in that my ears are smaller than the average so the cups never caused a real discomfort with rubbing. The 840 pads just made the wearing a more pleasurable experience (if not the listening). Having said that before I modded it the head band was torture after an hour.

I was interested in doing the same mod Natsukawa did in this thread (took a T90 headband to replace the SRH440 headband), but I couldn't find such headbands anywhere. I was just thinking of adhering an HD 600 headband cushion on the inside.

May 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #338 of 427
That's exactly what I did. Some super sticky double sided tape and the 650 cushion almost looks made for the shures. Near perfect fit. Plus without hacking the headband to pieces it's reversible if it didn't work out. As it happens I'm very happy with the result.

May 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #339 of 427
  The headband on the Shure SRH440 is bothering me. While I was nearly put off by the fact that my ears touched the baffle plate at first, when I switched to the SRH840 pads that I ordered with it, I don't have that problem anymore. They're vastly more comfortable. However, now, I'd like to address the headband issue and I'm wondering how I can do that. I saw that someone had placed a Sennheiser HD 600 replacement headband cushion on the inside of their SRH440s, but someone replied and said that the headband has to be extended to ten. I keep my headband extended to 2-3, just enough to keep the headband from pressing against the crown of my skull. What do you all think?

This arrived yesterday so I'm still burning it in and I don't want to judge the sound yet (preliminary take: immediate but fatiguing).

The headband is painful, though not the disaster of SRH840. What causes the pain for me is the soft ridge in the middle of the headband that sinks into the two ridges on either side of it, leaving the two outer ridges pressing against the crown of my head.

At first I extended the headband to 5 or so, which improved matters on top but increased the pressure on my ears to bothersome levels.

Then I did a bending trick which has worked on several other pairs:

1. Bend the center of the headband inward. This forms a dimple the shape of the crown of the head.
2. Bend the side arms of the headband nearest the cups upward and out. This relieves pressure on the ears.
3. Play with it steps 1 and 2 till you achieve the desired shape and clamping.

The center now has a slight dimple (somewhat similar to HD650) and whatever weight I feel is farther toward the sides, where it doesn't bother me. The headband is now not uncomfortable to me and I've been wearing it without annoyance for a couple of hours.

May 5, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #340 of 427
Regarding the SRH440s with SRH840 pads, it really depends on the individual SRH440s you get, as there will always be differences. I am going to cut and paste from a previous post:

"Also, I should disclose it is kind of a gamble because not all SRH440s will perform as well mine do, but then again the same can be said for virtually ANY headphones as I own multiple headphones of all kinds and some just do not sound as good as others, but when you get a good one you will know it. I have a several pairs of SRH440s that sound great with SRH840 Pads, and a few that did not improve as well with them. They all had a few things in commons: The ones that sounded good modded with the 840 pads had extremely forward highs/mids in stock form. The ones that did not improve as much, ironically sounded good and were not harsh/forward with the stock pads, go figure =\ they still sounded better than most headphones though... just not as well as the others with the 840 pads. The 840 pads have openings in the back of the ear pads that create more volume for bass. But the 840 pads also have a foam backing, which dampens highs and mids, which works very well for the the 440s with the extreme highs and mids, but dampens/muffles the 440s that already sound good with the stock pads. I have thought about cutting the foam backing and experimenting, but have not yet done so. Maybe in the future..."

The ones that already sound good with the stock pads sounded veiled with the SRH840 pads, so YMMV.

May 5, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #341 of 427
Explains the many varying claims. I'm not doubting it but strange how one model can be so different from unit to unit. Doesn't help with my original question about 940 pads. That's going to be down to the individual unit also if this is the case.

May 5, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #342 of 427
  I am going to cut and paste from a previous post:

"Also, I should disclose it is kind of a gamble because not all SRH440s will perform as well mine do, but then again the same can be said for virtually ANY headphones as I own multiple headphones of all kinds and some just do not sound as good as others, but when you get a good one you will know it. I have a several pairs of SRH440s that sound great with SRH840 Pads, and a few that did not improve as well with them. They all had a few things in commons: The ones that sounded good modded with the 840 pads had extremely forward highs/mids in stock form. The ones that did not improve as much, ironically sounded good and were not harsh/forward with the stock pads, go figure =\ they still sounded better than most headphones though... just not as well as the others with the 840 pads. The 840 pads have openings in the back of the ear pads that create more volume for bass. But the 840 pads also have a foam backing, which dampens highs and mids, which works very well for the the 440s with the extreme highs and mids, but dampens/muffles the 440s that already sound good with the stock pads. I have thought about cutting the foam backing and experimenting, but have not yet done so. Maybe in the future..."

Where's the original post? A link would help. Thanks.

I cut the the dust covers off my 940 pads (used with my T50RP) to make room for my ears and it made the treble a little hot. That can be fixed, however, by putting some transpore tape and stiff adhesive felt on the outside over the driver, where the dust cover was resting.

I just added some adhesive felt to the 440 to see if it helps with the fatiguing sound I heard earlier today. Note: still far from completely burned in.

May 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #343 of 427
Explains the many varying claims. I'm not doubting it but strange how one model can be so different from unit to unit. Doesn't help with my original question about 940 pads. That's going to be down to the individual unit also if this is the case.

You would be suprised at how different the same model headphones can sound. It all comes down to deviations in manufacturing. This applies to practically everything. For example, if you took two new stock cars from the same dealership and raced them at the same track with equal drivers, they would probably get very similar if not the same times. Since the two cars came from the same dealership, they most likely also came off the same production line. However, let's say you take the same model car from two different dealerships from two different locations, and race them at the same track with equal drivers - the times will most likely be more different than the two from the same dealership because they may have came off different producton lines with different crew shifts, engines that came from different batches, etc. Same logic applies to headphones. For example, if you buy multiple headphone from lets say Amazon, at the same time, chances are they are going to sound the same because they are probably from the same batch. But let's say you wait a few months, or even years and purchase the exact same model headphone from a different or even the same vendor, chances are it's going to sound different because it's different stock. Don't misunderstand, they will not sound like a completely different brand headphone, but there will be differences in the sound ranging from the soundstage, to the EQ of the highs, mids, lows, crispness, etc.

Higher model products will have more consistency because of tighter tolerance/QC, but that of course comes at a higher price...  Also, this applies to complex parts. I doubt the consistency would vary too much with simpler items like ear pads. I swap my SRH840 pads frequently and they don't seem to change the sound if they have similar wear (on the same headphones). If the pads are older and have more wear, they are usually softer, then the sound is more forward because the pads are flatter thus my ears sit closer to the drivers.

I know I am probably ranting, but I feel that it's important to realize that not all headphones are created equally, even if they are the same model...

As for your question about the SRH940 pads, I don't have them so I'm not sure how the sound would exactly be affected, but I have used other pads with the 440s and 840s and in my experience the velour/fabric ear pads usually clean and increase the soundstage, but sacrifices bass, sometimes significantly. In contrast, if you put (p)leather ear pads on headphones that come stock with velour/fabric pads, then the bass is increased. As for how the highs and mids will be affected, it will depend on factors like if the 940 pads have a foam backing and if the back of the pads are vented like the 840 pads. If you get the 940 pads, post your experience here for others.

I am going to cut and paste from a previous post:

Where's the original post? A link would help. Thanks.

I cut the the dust covers off my 940 pads (used with my T50RP) to make room for my ears and it made the treble a little hot. That can be fixed, however, by putting some transpore tape and stiff adhesive felt on the outside over the driver, where the dust cover was resting.

I just added some adhesive felt to the 440 to see if it helps with the fatiguing sound I heard earlier today. Note: still far from completely burned in.

Heres a link to the original post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/714246/amazon-used-ultrasone-580-headphones/15#post_10451073

Also a pic of my 440s to backup my claim. They all have different characteristics. None of them sound exactly the same, although some share very similar traits. Obviously, I still like their sound signatures. However, the differences mean that one person's mod may not work as well for another person's headphones. Case in point, ear pads. Please take it for what it's worth for your future modding efforts.

May 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #344 of 427
0ffbeat, thanks much for your response (and photo 
eek.gif
 ). Your explanation makes sense. It's somewhat more production variation than a product should have--there shouldn't be two sorts of 440's--but at least the drivers match.

May 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #345 of 427
@ Dragonzeanse . . . i've send you a PM regarding the T90 headband problem ;D  For anyone else, who wants the T90 headband, purchase them directly from Beyerdynamic, i haven't found them anywhere else. Heres the link to the Headband:

http://www.beyerdynamic.de/shop/hah/ersatzteile/kopfpolster-mikrofaser.html

At the top of the right corner, you can chance the language (click on the flag an choose). They ship to everywhere.

Sooo, regarding the different sound-characteristis of the 440 . . . i have already found out, that there is a neutral version, which is totally bassless and neutral and very harsh in the highs.
Then, there's a very nice Version with a very beatiful sound and perfect (for my taste) bass, much better than 840s. I even sold my 840s because this bassy version of the 440 with 840 pads is godlike and the 840 doesn't stand a chance. Within a year, i have tried almost 45 different SRH440s now, because i wanted to know, why they sound so different. There are only 2 Version. Very neutral harsh and bassles. And very nice balanced with beautiful quality Bass. the Bass Quality & texture iss so good, even better than my T90s.

You can read everything about my impressions here, where it started:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/458545/shure-srh440-impression/255#post_10044443

. . . and here my conclusion:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/458545/shure-srh440-impression/270#post_10081336

As I said, since then I had 44-45 SRH440 MOdels, some new, some used. More than half of them were the neutral version, which i really don't like. No Bass, very harsj highs. The rest of them were the bassy ones. Besides of these, I haven't heard other versions. I think, there are only these 2 Versions. I don't believe its because of Burn in . . . because new...old...i burned them all in. The neutral ones stay neutral and the bassy ones stay bassy. Its really a matter of good or bad luck. I even opened them, to compare the serial numbers, because i thought that maybe the numbers can give me a hint why they sound so different. Nothing unusual found. So buy and sell, buy and sell until you have the bassy ones xD Its not hard i mean every second or third one i bought was the bassy version :-/

I start to believe, that they made the neutral versions for the US market and the Bassy Versions for europe? That could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back