Shure SRH440 Impression
May 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #346 of 427

[...] As I said, since then I had 44-45 SRH440 Models, some new, some used. More than half of them were the neutral version, which i really don't like. No Bass, very harsh highs. The rest of them were the bassy ones. Besides of these, I haven't heard other versions. I think, there are only these 2 Versions. I don't believe its because of Burn in . . . because new...old...i burned them all in. The neutral ones stay neutral and the bassy ones stay bassy. Its really a matter of good or bad luck. I even opened them, to compare the serial numbers, because i thought that maybe the numbers can give me a hint why they sound so different. Nothing unusual found. So buy and sell, buy and sell until you have the bassy ones xD Its not hard i mean every second or third one i bought was the bassy version :-/

I start to believe, that they made the neutral versions for the US market and the Bassy Versions for europe? That could be.

Thank you for reporting your experience, especially regarding their serial numbers. Otherwise, I would have wondered if they had more that one factory making it.

I'm pretty sure mine is the sometimes bright version. I'll return it and try something else.

May 5, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #347 of 427
Good lord, that explains why so many people comment on how their Shure SRH440s are bassy. I did not have that experience at all, and the highs are quite harsh, pads swapped or not. While some songs really made the most of their sound signature, a lot of the time, I was in shock. As much as I want to like them, they almost don't feel like $100 headphones that I paid for. I hope to modify them and get back what I've lost.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I could probably just remedy the issue with a portable amp. It actually sounded significantly different when I plugged these headphones into my PC to test whether or not they needed more power to be driven than my phone was delivering. I've been thinking about buying a Sansa Clip+. Would that have enough juice to drive these headphones?

May 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #348 of 427
I drive them right out of my sansa clip and ipod 5 Video 5G and even Galaxy S3, without a portable amp ;D Because the 440 (imo) gets enough Juice from them, hell its even too loud for me XD

For of the Bassy-Neutral Topic:   The diffference is really big. Not as small as like AKG K501 (bassless) vs K712 (good bass) . The difference iss so hard that the bassy 440 Version has more bass then a ATH-M50, SRH840, Soundmagic H100 , DT990, DT880 ~ its almost on par with the DT770. Kinda like a mix of Superlux 681-B & DT770. But the 440s Bass has much better texture and quality than all the Headphones i listed above. I would even pay 200€ for them because up to this day I haven't found a closed headphone better than the bassy 440s ~ except for the Denon D2000 and Fostex TH900, and i really tried almost everything out . . . desperately. The TH900 is overall much better than the 440, for sure. But the Denon D2000 . . . the Bassy 440 is veeeery close behind.

So what I'M saying is: Its worth it to try different 440s until you have the good one. Once you have it, there aren't much other cans who can rival it and the ones who can cost 3-6 times as much.

Some might say, i'm hyping now. Look into my inventory / profile . . . I have / had so much cans on my search, there is no need to hype. But there has to be ar reason, why i landed up keeping the 440s as a closed for mobile after having all the others.  I should write SHURE and ask them whats going on xD

May 5, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #350 of 427
+1 explains the different observations. Whenever someone told me that me 440 should be bass shy I just shook my head. I have the bass version.

May 5, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #351 of 427
  Some might say, i'm hyping now. Look into my inventory / profile . . . I have / had so much cans on my search, there is no need to hype. But there has to be ar reason, why i landed up keeping the 440s as a closed for mobile after having all the others.  I should write SHURE and ask them whats going on xD

I sent an email to Shure support to see what they could tell me. I want your SRH440s.

May 6, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #352 of 427
Interesting stuff, i find two reviews about the srh440 on youtube, the first one saying it's very harsh and bright with almost no bass while the second one saying it's a bit boomy and dark, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEAaoTV3Mm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-BkyStfZw

I'm pretty sure mine is the bass-light version. Now i'm wondering with the supposed "bass heavy" version doesn't have the plug foam in that hole near the driver. Can someone please open it and take photos, i want to know if that's the case.

May 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #353 of 427
  Now i'm wondering with the supposed "bass heavy" version doesn't have the plug foam in that hole near the driver. Can someone please open it and take photos, i want to know if that's the case.

My impression is that Natsukawa already checked, "I tried all the bassmods out of curiosity and I didn't like it, it was too much bass. Its perfect out of the box, sometimes even boomy when necessary [. . .] If I wouldn't know the 440s and I would listen to them the first time with electronica stuff, I swear I would think it's a basshead can." (post 283)

May 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #354 of 427
Ok, I got my not-bass-shy 440 out of my drawer. Didn't listen to it in a long time. 

However, even if you have the bass-shy version, there is hope.

change the pads to 840 pads AND do the following:

remove the pads, use electrical tape and close some of the hole openings (look up the bass mods, they work well if you do it moderately and not go overboard).

cheers,
K

May 6, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #355 of 427
  Interesting stuff, i find two reviews about the srh440 on youtube, the first one saying it's very harsh and bright with almost no bass while the second one saying it's a bit boomy and dark, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEAaoTV3Mm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH-BkyStfZw

I'm pretty sure mine is the bass-light version. Now i'm wondering with the supposed "bass heavy" version doesn't have the plug foam in that hole near the driver. Can someone please open it and take photos, i want to know if that's the case.

I have my 440 in front of me. Screwdrivers ready, let me know what you want to see.

cheers,
K

May 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #356 of 427

I have my 440 in front of me. Screwdrivers ready, let me know what you want to see.

cheers,
K

Take off the screws, open it up and see if there's a yellow foam inside the hole in the middle and also if there's another hole without any foam near it. It would help if u could take that foam out and take a picture of it, i'm pretty curious if the foam is smaller or have different density or whatever. Thanks.

May 6, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #358 of 427

Take off the screws, open it up and see if there's a yellow foam inside the hole in the middle and also if there's another hole without any foam near it. It would help if u could take that foam out and take a picture of it, i'm pretty curious if the foam is smaller or have different density or whatever. Thanks.

here you go:

more detail:

Is that what you want to see?
hope it helps,
K

May 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #359 of 427
Yup. Thanks!

So it's stock and it's still bass heavy.

How basshead is the bass heavy version? What's it like?

May 6, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #360 of 427
Wow thanks, looks like the foam is all the way inside the hole, i'm surprised it didn't fall inside. I will try to replace that foam if something else, the srh440 is very picky when it comes to mods, even with u don't put the screws back, it will sound a little different.

So it's stock and it's still bass heavy.

How basshead is the bass heavy version? What's it like?

According to @Natsukawa
"the bassy 440 Version has more bass then a ATH-M50, SRH840, Soundmagic H100 , DT990, DT880 ~ its almost on par with the DT770"

Wow, can't believe the same headphone can sound that different! =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back