Shure SRH440 Impression
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #301 of 427
  And what about the sound of 440 with amplification? Much of improvement?

Yep, they have a max input power of 500mW so, they do scale, not massively so, but they do.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #302 of 427

Yep, they have a max input power of 500mW so, they do scale, not massively so, but they do.

Koolpep,

So when amplified, happens to the lack of bass, that dakanao has mentioned?
Also, aren't they tiring? Are they comortable to wear for more than a couple of hours?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #303 of 427
  And what about the sound of 440 with amplification? Much of improvement?

It's all relative to what you're coming from. My SRH440 sounds nothing alike when used from my phone, my computer and my Audio-gd NFB-12. Respectively, they are mushy, noisy and OMGMOAR.

What's more, the extra-bass mod is only an improvement if you're powering them from a power house with virtually no output impedance. Else you're gonna hate it.

I once tried a FiiO E11 between my phone and my SRH440, and it was worse than straight out of my phone.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #304 of 427
Thats so ********. Both of my 440s have more bass than my soundmagic hp100. Maybe you guys got the bassless-version of the 440? My second 440 was like that, i sent them back and got another one, with good bass like my first one. So that happens. Hell, my 440s have even more bass than my 840. I wouldn't like to have more bass, that would definetly be bassheavy. They wouldn't be alrounders anymore. I love the 440s, they can handle every genre and thats really rare. K540 is good with electronica, hip hop, rock....what about ethereal, darkwave, instrumental, jazz or classical? Very bad with the k540. Thats why i ended up with the shures, they can handle every genre well. Only my 2 cents though.

EDIT:

just wanted to mention, that i use them only outside without an amp, straight out of my ipod, sansa & galaxy s3.

Mar 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #305 of 427
Thats so ********. Both of my 440s have more bass than my soundmagic hp100. Maybe you guys got the bassless-version of the 440? My second 440 was like that, i sent them back and got another one, with good bass like my first one. So that happens. Hell, my 440s have even more bass than my 840. I wouldn't like to have more bass, that would definetly be bassheavy. They wouldn't be alrounders anymore. I love the 440s, they can handle every genre and thats really rare. K540 is good with electronica, hip hop, rock....what about ethereal, darkwave, instrumental, jazz or classical? Very bad with the k540. Thats why i ended up with the shures, they can handle every genre well. Only my 2 cents though.

EDIT:

just wanted to mention, that i use them only outside without an amp, straight out of my ipod, sansa & galaxy s3.

I find it quite surprising that you found them to have more bass than the 840's. Because I thought the exact opposite when I listened to both. But yeah, maybe I listened to the basslight version like you said.

Well, my K540 excels with Jazz, and is good with hiphop, classical, and also excels at EDM.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #306 of 427
Humm . . . maybe my K540s were bassheavy-version or broken then. I have to check them out again then, you made me curious.

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #308 of 427
I'm coming from AKG K240 Sextett and Sennheiser PX-200 II. I listen to music on PC and on Realtek ALC 883 onboard souncard and use Pioneer SA-940 amplifier's headphone output. The amplifier has like 0,3 Ohm output for speakers, I am not sure if it the same for the headphone output though.

I just bought SRH 440 upon the reviews after spending some time reading them.

I can certainly say that SRH 440 have much more bass than both of the headphones I used to own by quantity. And I really don't like it. It sounds like Logitech 5+1 subwoofer or Sony MDR EX50LP when playing songs with a lot of bass for the bass notes
I don' know how I can really describe it but it is like there is so much reverberation for bass notes. It is like a humming inside my head. 
I used to read so many reviews telling these lack bass on amazon before buying. Now I believe that people really hear very very differently. And I also used to read M50 comparisons and they say M50 has more bass. I can certainly tell that M50 is not listeneble for me according to the comparisons.

And I want to add that if you increase the volume about a certain level, the drivers start to shake on your head and it creates a strange feeling. )) It was the first time I experimented this and it was funny to feel it. 

I can say that I hear more details with these headphones and I want to claim that when the instruments are not playing in sync in an orchestra where they have to , I can sense it much more easier with these rather than with sextetts and PX-200 II.

I wish I can like these more by time. =)

That is what I can only tell for now. I wonder if there are people sharing the similar ideas with me. It has only been half an hour since I wore them for the first time.
Are there anyone who also can compare these with AKG K240 Sextetts ? 
I wonder if there are similar ideas or not.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #310 of 427
  Strange, i have srh440 and the k240 mkii is definitely bassier.

I don't really know why it is so but I can say that SRH 440 is bassier from the amplifier lights too.
When I adjust the volume so that I will hear the mid frequencies and vocals at same levels for both 440 and Sextetts in a music with a lot of bass, I can see the peak is 500 mW for Sextetts and it reaches 1W with 440s where bass notes are pronounced.

I have sinusitis now, maybe I can reevaluate and compare them after recovering. 

By the way I don't know if K240 MK II is much more bass heavy than K240 Sextett.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #311 of 427
I have to add that when I listen to records from Sheffield Labs with SRH 440, I can't hear anything wrong except a littler harshness for the saxophone. Maybe good recordings are necessary for the these headphones to shine. )
I really enjoy the drums and especially kick drum with these. =)

Mar 26, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #312 of 427
I totally forgot to post my modded 440 xD Please click on the pictures to enlarge them.

SHURE SRH440 with Beyerdynamic T90 Headband

Modded (left) & Original (right):

Same thing again:

Close-Up of both headbands:

Side:

Front:

Close-Up again:

Whats left:

Looks kinda Knight Rider like xD . . . much lighter and more comfortable now. I can wear them all day long now, that were the best invested 15 euros ever. Only thing left to do is the thin leatherpiece with the SHURE-Logo on it. I wanna stitch it on the T90 Headband, because i like the look of it ;D

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #314 of 427
Pictures of my SHR440 with Brainwavs HM5 pads.

I've also changed the cable

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310790201288?var=610218446333&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Not only are my Shure a desktop workhorse for utube and music they're still one of the best budget headphones I picked up.

I'm yet to hear another headphone for $100 AUD that can push out as much detail as SHR440.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #315 of 427
Did it sound any good with hm5 pads? The SRH440 is very picky with pads, i tried the srh840 pads and it sounded worse than the stock pads (mid bass hump, bad extension, shrill mids and highs). Does it have a thick foam like the srh840 pads or it's thin like the stock ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back