Shure SRH1540 Review
Aug 3, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #2,553 of 2,678
I found someone selling a pair of 1540 locally for half the MSRP. The photos they shared look really clean with no physical blemishes, and the seller claims they had it for less than one year. What are things I can check for besides making sure things aren't broken or scratched and making sure the headphones actually play sound?

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #2,555 of 2,678
I found someone selling a pair of 1540 locally for half the MSRP. The photos they shared look really clean with no physical blemishes, and the seller claims they had it for less than one year. What are things I can check for besides making sure things aren't broken or scratched and making sure the headphones actually play sound?

I cannot think of much othrr than to make sure the can connectors aren’t sloppy and/or noisy. You should get 2 cables and extra pads.

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #2,556 of 2,678
I've heard that the stock cable can be pretty fragile. But yeah, give it a listen, so long as you get sound out of both cups, you're good. Cables can be replaced anyway, and honestly, the 1540's stock cable is pretty terrible in a few ways and you may end up replacing it on your own anyway

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #2,557 of 2,678
I've heard that the stock cable can be pretty fragile. But yeah, give it a listen, so long as you get sound out of both cups, you're good. Cables can be replaced anyway, and honestly, the 1540's stock cable is pretty terrible in a few ways and you may end up replacing it on your own anyway
I bought my pair secondhand and it came with a short (4ft-5ft) cable. certainly not fragile in my book.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,558 of 2,678
Love my SHR1540's, but I've gotten to a point where the left earpad will constantly fully extend when placed on a headphone stand.

Is there any way to tighten up the movement in the yokes so that there is more tension? Will simply tightening the two screws in the plastic piece the yokes travel through do the trick? Thanks!

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2,560 of 2,678
Maybe a thin layer of thread tape on the screws to get some grip?

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #2,561 of 2,678
Been getting some hours on this, left side stopped working 😩. Shure wants $277 for out of warranty work since I don’t have original receipt- bought it used.
Time to track down another.
I had ordered two sets of space pads , from Amazon, for the long haul.
Phone is so underrated, shhhh let’s keep it that way, will help keep the price down

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,562 of 2,678
Did everyone who went the HD280 headband pad route remove the two stupid pillow strips from the headband of the SRH1540?

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #2,563 of 2,678
The pillow strips are such garbage, what a terrible design choice. I just ordered a replacement beyerdynamic DT-770 button-up headband to see if that'll work. Or at least a knock-off... the original replacement part seems impossible to get in the states.

My plan is to cut off a quarter of it and sew it shut, but testing with my pre-existing DT-770 pad seems to feel like it'll work. I'll let folks know once I've completed the project (or not).

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #2,564 of 2,678
If you're gentle, the pillow strips pull right off as if they were never there.

The geekria pad I replaced them with is a little loose on the sides, unlike any of the photos here. I am wondering if it's my pad, or if folks kept their pillow strips.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #2,565 of 2,678
Considering picking up a 4' Audiophile Ninja cable to replace the standard cable that comes with the SRH1540.

Should I even bother picking up the balanced cable for such a short cable from my FiiO K3, on such an easy-to-drive set of cans like the SRH1540s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back