Shure SRH1540 Review
Jun 3, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,491 of 2,678
Pull these off the wall after letting them collect dust for about a year or so. My newfound love.
20220603_161340.jpg

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #2,492 of 2,678
I feel guilty using these exclusively as an office headset! lol

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #2,493 of 2,678
I feel guilty using these exclusively as an office headset! lol
At least they were being used. I feel guilty neglecting these for such a long time. lol

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,494 of 2,678
At least they were being used. I feel guilty neglecting these for such a long time. lol
Mine have thousands of hours on them.20220604_105438.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #2,496 of 2,678
I've only just this week really gotten the time to give these a listen. Absolutely loving the bass extension and the detail in the mids. Vocals sound extremely natural and right up front in a way that reminds me of my HD6XX. The only comparable headphone I have at the moment is the Beyer DT150 which, while I do love that headphone, the 1540 totally wipes the floor with it in many regards. As well it should for over double the price. But hey, you pay more and you get more. Nothing wrong with that.

I do have some criticisms, though, but it's hard to tell if it's a headphone problem or an amp problem. With my Singxer SA-1, I've noticed time after time that the SE output is really pretty underwhelming and unspectacular compared to its balanced output. And I only have a SE cable at the moment, so I've only been listening to this headphone out of the comparatively underwhelming SE output of my Singxer.

That being said, it's hard to tell if it's my amp or it's just the 1540's tonality, but the highs seem really recessed and veiled. I'm still getting the open and wide sound stage everyone talks about, but trying to detect any fine detail in the highs is like walking through a fog. And I typically prefer a little bit of sparkle and shimmer in the highs, but boy the highs here are like matte steel. Not even a hint of shimmer, just this machined dullness. Going back to my T50 Argon after a while of listening only to the 1540 is like putting my glasses on in the morning. Suddenly all that detail in the highs I've been missing just appears again and confirms that yup, something really is missing with the 1540.

But again, at the moment I can't tell if it's my amp or if it's the headphone, because my Argon's on the balanced output and the Shure's on the SE output. I've got some of the unique MMCX connectors in the mail so I can make my own balanced cable and give these a proper listen. I also get some hot spots from the headband, so I've got an HD280 pad incoming like I've seen others in this thread use.

I'd love to know what others think regarding the highs, to get an idea of whether it is the headphone or if it's my amp. It wouldn't be the first time the SE output on my Singxer has disappointed me. It just sucks that the unusual connectors make affordable balanced cables basically nonexistent.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,497 of 2,678
I've only just this week really gotten the time to give these a listen. Absolutely loving the bass extension and the detail in the mids. Vocals sound extremely natural and right up front in a way that reminds me of my HD6XX. The only comparable headphone I have at the moment is the Beyer DT150 which, while I do love that headphone, the 1540 totally wipes the floor with it in many regards. As well it should for over double the price. But hey, you pay more and you get more. Nothing wrong with that.

I do have some criticisms, though, but it's hard to tell if it's a headphone problem or an amp problem. With my Singxer SA-1, I've noticed time after time that the SE output is really pretty underwhelming and unspectacular compared to its balanced output. And I only have a SE cable at the moment, so I've only been listening to this headphone out of the comparatively underwhelming SE output of my Singxer.

That being said, it's hard to tell if it's my amp or it's just the 1540's tonality, but the highs seem really recessed and veiled. I'm still getting the open and wide sound stage everyone talks about, but trying to detect any fine detail in the highs is like walking through a fog. And I typically prefer a little bit of sparkle and shimmer in the highs, but boy the highs here are like matte steel. Not even a hint of shimmer, just this machined dullness. Going back to my T50 Argon after a while of listening only to the 1540 is like putting my glasses on in the morning. Suddenly all that detail in the highs I've been missing just appears again and confirms that yup, something really is missing with the 1540.

But again, at the moment I can't tell if it's my amp or if it's the headphone, because my Argon's on the balanced output and the Shure's on the SE output. I've got some of the unique MMCX connectors in the mail so I can make my own balanced cable and give these a proper listen. I also get some hot spots from the headband, so I've got an HD280 pad incoming like I've seen others in this thread use.

I'd love to know what others think regarding the highs, to get an idea of whether it is the headphone or if it's my amp. It wouldn't be the first time the SE output on my Singxer has disappointed me. It just sucks that the unusual connectors make affordable balanced cables basically nonexistent.

I think it is the single ended connections. I am running my 1540 balanced from my Singxer, and am not hearing any recessed treble.

FYI, you can open up the plastic around mmcx connectors with a drill bit or dremel grinding bit - but it is safest to do it by hand so that the plastic doesn't melt. It will only take a few minutes of effort since the plastic around the 1540's mmcx connectors are only maybe a millimeter or so smaller than normal.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #2,498 of 2,678
I did some cable experimenting, and I'll talk about it here for anyone who Googles this in the future:

When searching for Shure 1540 cables/connectors, my search results for "shure mmcx" would always include what are called A2DC connectors/cables, which are used by some Audio-Technica and Sony headphones. They look extremely similar to the 1540 connectors and I couldn't find anyone else on the internet that tested A2DC connectors for compatibility before me. Then I found this cheap balanced A2DC cable on Amazon, shipped in two days versus the two months for an AliExpress order, so I gave it a shot.

Even in my hands, the connectors look extremely similar, but I guess the very tip of the connector is just half a millimeter or so too big, because it'll fit in the headphone cup tunnel just fine, but it won't actually plug in to the cup's MMCX connector. So, oh well. A2DC cables don't work with Shure/MMCX headphones. Lesson learned.

I do have some proper 1540 connectors in the mail, should receive them later this month. I'm just going to remove the A2DC connectors off this cable and solder on the 1540 connectors and have a nice, inexpensive balanced cable. It's just a shame that if you want a balanced cable for your 1540, it either requires a lot of effort or a lot of money.

Re: Drilling out the headphone cup tunnels, I have seen that solution around, but if I'm going to mod this headphone, I'd rather do a dual 3.5mm mod.

Jun 14, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #2,499 of 2,678
I think it is the single ended connections. I am running my 1540 balanced from my Singxer, and am not hearing any recessed treble.

FYI, you can open up the plastic around mmcx connectors with a drill bit or dremel grinding bit - but it is safest to do it by hand so that the plastic doesn't melt. It will only take a few minutes of effort since the plastic around the 1540's mmcx connectors are only maybe a millimeter or so smaller than normal.
I listen with Lqi Cables balanced cables from NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and the treble is GORGEOUS. Same for mids and bass! Personally, I prefer SRH1540 over Meze Empyrean.

Jun 14, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #2,500 of 2,678
I listen with Lqi Cables balanced cables from NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and the treble is GORGEOUS. Same for mids and bass! Personally, I prefer SRH1540 over Meze Empyrean.
Same here. Great cable that's actually reasonably priced.

Jun 27, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #2,501 of 2,678
are there replacement headband pads for these phones? otherwise I'm thinking of using "generic/replacement" headband pads from aliexpress. Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #2,502 of 2,678
are there replacement pads for these phones? otherwise I'm thinking of using "generic/replacement" headband pads from aliexpress. Thanks

I use Brainwavez sheepskin pads on mine. They improve the bass and sound isolation without much of a hit to midrange or soundstaging.

Jun 27, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #2,503 of 2,678
I use Brainwavez sheepskin pads on mine. They improve the bass and sound isolation without much of a hit to midrange or soundstaging.
I meant headband pads. Thanks

Edit: i already have brainwaxz angled ear pads as i bought the wrong pads for my Denon D7k.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,504 of 2,678
I meant headband pads. Thanks

Edit: i already have brainwaxz angled ear pads as i bought the wrong pads for my Denon D7k.

I use this:

SCR Headband Compatible with Sennheiser HD280 Earpads and Headband Pad Kit Replacement for HD 280 (PRO) HMD280 Ear Pads Headphones Cushion Padding Black (Headband only) https://a.co/d/jlORkHD

Covered by this:

Geekria Headband Cover Compatible with ATH M50x, M50xBT, M50xBT2, M50xPB, M50xWH, M50xBB Headphones/Headphone Headband Protector Repair Parts/Easy DIY Installation No Tool Needed (Black) https://a.co/d/4obBe9t

Jun 27, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #2,505 of 2,678
are there replacement headband pads for these phones? otherwise I'm thinking of using "generic/replacement" headband pads from aliexpress. Thanks

I use the zippered pad that is for the Sennheiser HD 280. Very comfortable. Someone else in here recommended it a few years ago. It made the Shure comfortable for me. Before I put this on, the headband was painful for me. Aliexpress probably does do generic versions. You can find almost anything now. Depends on how long you want to wait.

20220627_142927-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back