Shure SRH1540 Review
Jul 12, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #1,531 of 2,678
I've had these for 7 months now.

I don't view myself as a real audiophile after reading what other people are doing in this sport. I'm just someone who listens to music and likes headphones.

My other headphones are:

Sennheiser HD-650
Sennheiser HD-205
Sennheise PX-100-II
AKG K-702

and the amp I use is the Lake People G109A and source/DAC is the iBasso DX80.

Out of my modest collection the Shure are my favourite. At first I had to get used to the recessed mids. Coming from the K702 it was a bit of a What! moment when I first heard them. But your brain tunes to that rather quickly but I sometimes wish the mids were a bit stronger. The bass is occasionally a bit much, one track come to mind: Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance. But the bass is still probably the reason I love them so much.

Build is great and comfort is perfect. Isolation if rather good and leakage minimal.

I find these headphones absolutely wonderful and will probably use them for a very long time.  I'm considering selling the HD650 and getting the Fostex TH-X00 since they also have a great lower end. 

Just my 2 króna.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,532 of 2,678

I don't view myself as a real audiophile after reading what other people are doing in this sport. I'm just someone who listens to music and likes headphones.

My other headphones are:

Sennheiser HD-650
Sennheiser HD-205
Sennheise PX-100-II
AKG K-702

Out of my modest collection the Shure are my favourite. At first I had to get used to the recessed mids. Coming from the K702 it was a bit of a What! moment when I first heard them. But your brain tunes to that rather quickly but I sometimes wish the mids were a bit stronger. The bass is occasionally a bit much, one track come to mind: Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance. But the bass is still probably the reason I love them so much.

Build is great and comfort is perfect. Isolation if rather good and leakage minimal.

I find these headphones absolutely wonderful and will probably use them for a very long time.  I'm considering selling the HD650 and getting the Fostex TH-X00 since they also have a great lower end. 

Just my 2 króna.

I have SRH 1540 and TH X00, I still like the 1540 they are really nice headphones but ATM the TH X00 are getting a lot more use. Both are good though but the THX00 are very nice. For some types of music I still prefer the 1540.

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #1,533 of 2,678

My other headphones are:

Sennheiser HD-650

Sennheiser HD-205

Sennheise PX-100-II

AKG K-702

Just my 2 króna.

I have SRH 1540 and TH X00, I still like the 1540 they are really nice headphones but ATM the TH X00 are getting a lot more use. Both are good though but the THX00 are very nice. For some types of music I still prefer the 1540.

Which one is better for metal and electronic music?

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #1,534 of 2,678
I ordered the TH-X00 ebony version and sold the HD650 :)

Aug 11, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,536 of 2,678
I ordered the ebony version. It will not arrive till November. I was too late to order the purple heart version. 

I didn't sell the HD650 because I did not like them, I just can't use open headphones at the moment.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,537 of 2,678
I bought these headphones a little while ago, my first trip into more high end stuff, but they sounded amazing and were supremely comfortable :)

Does anyone happen to know of a more portable sized cable preferably with an inline remote/mic - though just something a little more portable would be okay.  Never had these mmxc connectors before and finding a cable a little smaller than the one provided without spending an absolute fortune seems to be tricky. 

Thanks

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,538 of 2,678
  I bought these headphones a little while ago, my first trip into more high end stuff, but they sounded amazing and were supremely comfortable :)

Does anyone happen to know of a more portable sized cable preferably with an inline remote/mic - though just something a little more portable would be okay.  Never had these mmxc connectors before and finding a cable a little smaller than the one provided without spending an absolute fortune seems to be tricky. 

Thanks

I found KEF M500 to be a bit similar(warm sound) to the 1540, but are much more portable. Though they don't exactly sound alike. I had them both at one point, and remember liking both, and preferring the M500 at times.

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #1,539 of 2,678

Thanks

I found the same; the cables that came with it were too long for my needs.

Been using this cable since Jan and haven't touched the others since. Ignore the comments about improved SQ - it sounds exactly the same - but is far shorter and the braiding is nice.

Aug 24, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #1,540 of 2,678

I found the same; the cables that came with it were too long for my needs.

Been using this cable since Jan and haven't touched the others since. Ignore the comments about improved SQ - it sounds exactly the same - but is far shorter and the braiding is nice.

That's a good price for that cable. Wish I had found that sooner.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,542 of 2,678
  When in doubt, ebay.

Do you still have your pair, or have you moved them on in your quest for more portability?

I do still have mine. I have moved to the Ether C. Much more comfortable, more accurate sound, hella more expensive too. The headband on the 1540 digs into my head and quickly begins to hurt. It's my only complaint about the 1540s. Well, the cable is annoying because it never loses the bends in it, but that's minor.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,543 of 2,678
I've seen complaints about the split headband before from other reviewers - although not as often as those that praise their comfort - so it must be a head shape/sensitivity thing, as I've never found them uncomfortable.

The Ethers are interesting. What's their leakage and isolation like? The 1540s are excellent at keeping sound from getting out, and in, no one in the office can hear my music, and I can't hear them.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,544 of 2,678
  I've seen complaints about the split headband before from other reviewers - although not as often as those that praise their comfort - so it must be a head shape/sensitivity thing, as I've never found them uncomfortable.

The Ethers are interesting. What's their leakage and isolation like? The 1540s are excellent at keeping sound from getting out, and in, no one in the office can hear my music, and I can't hear them.

So, you're saying my head is shaped weird or sensitive? haha

I find they offer adequate isolation, on par with the 1540. I've not had complaints about leakage from co-workers in the next cube. If nothing is playing, I can hear them faintly. The most isolating can's I've tried are the PSBs, they are like full on hearing protection with some transducers.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #1,545 of 2,678
I finally picked up a pair of 1540s with black Dragon cable.I couldnt pass them up at $350. I'll stick with my hd800s for quiet listening though. I paired the 1540s with a Sony zx1 for mobile use and use them on a Burson conductor with es 9018 dac at home. I'll review them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back