Shure SRH1540 Review
Sep 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,561 of 2,681
Fortunately I have been listening to my z7 but I have not auditioned 1540. Coming from HD600, I noticed the bass has more quantity, but sometimes lacking that punchy feeling depending on the album. I happen to like the mid from z7 a lot, female vocal is excellent on Z7. The high is better than my HD600. Overall HD600 doesn't sound as lively as my Z7, and Z7 has an amazing build quality with all metal earcup and all. I always have a soft spot for Sony tbh, and I think getting a flagship model that is made in Japan is really nice for a $450 headphone. Z7 also has a lot of room to growth, If you are interested you can find a lot of damping mod on this forum and that suppose to transform z7 into a better headphone

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,563 of 2,681
I love my 1540's so much. I wonder if Shure will make a lightning cable for their headphones.

Frankly, I hope they don't make a lightening cable. I hope they make a lightening variant of the headphones. The lightening cables have such small space for a DAC(unless they choose to build in a huge dongle in the cable), and hence are limited. Placing a DAC/amp into the headphones seem more feasible. 

They have a lot of options they can take with the new iPhones.
1. Release a cheaper version of their DAC/amp for use with iPhones. A smaller version would be likely.
2. Light bluetooth dongle to turn their headphones/iems wireless.
3. As you mentioned, lightening cables.
4. Lightening headphones with DAC/amp built in.
5. Or simply ignore the demand from the iPhone users.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,564 of 2,681
Frankly, I hope they don't make a lightening cable. I hope they make a lightening variant of the headphones. The lightening cables have such small space for a DAC(unless they choose to build in a huge dongle in the cable), and hence are limited. Placing a DAC/amp into the headphones seem more feasible. 

They have a lot of options they can take with the new iPhones.
1. Release a cheaper version of their DAC/amp for use with iPhones. A smaller version would be likely.
2. Light bluetooth dongle to turn their headphones/iems wireless.
3. As you mentioned, lightening cables.
4. Lightening headphones with DAC/amp built in.
5. Or simply ignore the demand from the iPhone users.

I just don't want to use that stupid dongle. So whatever they do that allows me to bypass it will be fine for me.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,565 of 2,681
I had been considering the iPhone, switch from Android, the headphone issue pushed me to an HTC 10 (though I understand Samsung is considering ditching the headphone jack as well).

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,566 of 2,681
I had been considering the iPhone, switch from Android, the headphone issue pushed me to an HTC 10 (though I understand Samsung is considering ditching the headphone jack as well).

All signs seem to point to that being true. If these companies start making headphones with their own DAC's, it's going to be a marvelous future for audiophiles.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,567 of 2,681
Hello,

Looking for recommendations for a good desktop amp and DAC (either a combo or separates is fine) to pair with these headphones for use with an iMac. Something that can handle DSD and 192 files would be desirable. Trying to keep the cost low.

Thanks.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #1,568 of 2,681
I use lé Mojo. If your budget is less, though, my previous DAC/amp was the Meridian Explorer 2 (which has since taken up DAC duties for the PC speakers). I liked it a lot! But like the Mojo more.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,569 of 2,681
  I use lé Mojo. If your budget is less, though, my previous DAC/amp was the Meridian Explorer 2 (which has since taken up DAC duties for the PC speakers). I liked it a lot! But like the Mojo more.

I like both those DACs. However, I would like to spend less than the Mojo, and ME2 doesn't do DSD.

For best bang for the buck shouldn't I be looking at a mains powered amp/DAC anyway? I don't need either to be portable or have a battery, and I'll only be connecting via the computer's USB port.

Nov 21, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #1,574 of 2,681

How do you like the Mojo together with the SRH1540? I've got that combo on its way to me.

I like both those DACs. However, I would like to spend less than the Mojo, and ME2 doesn't do DSD.

For best bang for the buck shouldn't I be looking at a mains powered amp/DAC anyway? I don't need either to be portable or have a battery, and I'll only be connecting via the computer's USB port.

Late answer, but a Fiio X3II? It can be used as a standalone DAC/HP-amplifier and does DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back