Shure SRH1540 Review
Dec 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #1,594 of 2,681
  is there noticeable improvement after burn-in? i'm also planning to get a fulla 2, curious what other folks are running

I didn't notice much change on mine (which are about to be for sale btw). I'll see if I can snag my buddy's Fulla 2 and give a listen and then try to remember how it did with my previous setups. But, the Fulla 2 performs way over it's price (like most Schiit) I was pleasantly impressed and am seriously considering buying one for work (I'm in an open area and have concerns with shinny Schiit laying around unsecured).

Prior to it's being retired, I listened at first with an iBasso DX90 only, then added a Magni 2 Uber, then Modi 2 Uber, then Asgard 2. The Asgard 2 did very well as it's a bit cold and analytical which I feel pairs well with the 1540's warm signature. This was the most noticeable upgrade, (Magni 2 Uber to Asgard 2). Next upgrade was Bifrost, then I switched cans to Ether C which do not have as much bass but don't dig into the top of my head either. Then Bifrost was upgraded to multibit. Moving to a tube amp then occurred with the MJ2, I've not  listened to the 1540 on the MJ2. My last upgrade was a sigma delta Gungnir (even had to steal the USB 2 card from the Bimby haha).

If the headband doesn't bother you, it's a really fun set of cans. It's warm and bassy, but still has accuracy. Just don't crank it up too much, it sort of gets flabby at high volumes. It comes with a great set of accessories also.

Hope that helps.

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,595 of 2,681

I didn't notice much change on mine (which are about to be for sale btw). I'll see if I can snag my buddy's Fulla 2 and give a listen and then try to remember how it did with my previous setups. But, the Fulla 2 performs way over it's price (like most Schiit) I was pleasantly impressed and am seriously considering buying one for work (I'm in an open area and have concerns with shinny Schiit laying around unsecured).

Prior to it's being retired, I listened at first with an iBasso DX90 only, then added a Magni 2 Uber, then Modi 2 Uber, then Asgard 2. The Asgard 2 did very well as it's a bit cold and analytical which I feel pairs well with the 1540's warm signature. This was the most noticeable upgrade, (Magni 2 Uber to Asgard 2). Next upgrade was Bifrost, then I switched cans to Ether C which do not have as much bass but don't dig into the top of my head either. Then Bifrost was upgraded to multibit. Moving to a tube amp then occurred with the MJ2, I've not  listened to the 1540 on the MJ2. My last upgrade was a sigma delta Gungnir (even had to steal the USB 2 card from the Bimby haha).

If the headband doesn't bother you, it's a really fun set of cans. It's warm and bassy, but still has accuracy. Just don't crank it up too much, it sort of gets flabby at high volumes. It comes with a great set of accessories also.

Hope that helps.

thanks, this was really helpful. I really like them so far and don't find the headband bothersome.

sounds like you definitely went through it all and don't doubt it improving with more money spent on gear but can't bear doing that just yet after dropping 500 on the headphones themselves. I toyed with the idea of spending 200 on a schiit stack and not feel the need to upgrade later on.

please do report back if you're able to try them on the fulla 2. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,597 of 2,681

thanks, this was really helpful. I really like them so far and don't find the headband bothersome.

sounds like you definitely went through it all and don't doubt it improving with more money spent on gear but can't bear doing that just yet after dropping 500 on the headphones themselves. I toyed with the idea of spending 200 on a schiit stack and not feel the need to upgrade later on.

please do report back if you're able to try them on the fulla 2. 

So the 1540's are pretty bassy. Borderline basshead levels. The Fulla 2 is a lot darker than my Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber or Bifrost/Asgard 2 or Gungnir/Mjolnir 2 setups. The combination is very bass oriented bordering on muddy.

Listening to Rush Moving Pictures in 24/192 was great. Very enjoyable session.
Switched to some country, LoCash was bassy, much rumbling going on.
Korn's Greatest Hits, Word Up! really had just too much bass. It's a bassy mix on this album, but the combination drove it to skull rumbling status. It was a bit uncomfortable.
Back to country, Lady Antebellum...more coming.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,599 of 2,681
I don't find them that bassy to be honest, I expected them to have a lot more of that actually but perhaps it's the kind of music I listen to. Sounds great together with my Mojo. I think they're a great closed compliment to my HD800S.

Dec 19, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #1,600 of 2,681
I don't find them that bassy to be honest, I expected them to have a lot more of that actually but perhaps it's the kind of music I listen to. Sounds great together with my Mojo. I think they're a great closed compliment to my HD800S.

I completely agree. People always praise the Nad Viso 50 as being so neutral, but it has more bass than the 1540's. So whatever.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #1,601 of 2,681
  guess I'd want something more neutral then based on what I'm hearing thus far

The combination of the Fulla 2 and 1540 pushes them way south of neutral. A lot also depended on the source material for me.

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #1,602 of 2,681

The combination of the Fulla 2 and 1540 pushes them way south of neutral. A lot also depended on the source material for me.

that being said - what's a better choice for my budget ~$100-200 for a dac/amp? better off with a schiit stack?

most of my library is 320/wav/flac but have recently been using Apple Music which isn't so great but not terrible.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #1,603 of 2,681
  that being said - what's a better choice for my budget ~$100-200 for a dac/amp? better off with a schiit stack?

most of my library is 320/wav/flac but have recently been using Apple Music which isn't so great but not terrible.

Really depends on what you are wanting to do. For example I started with a DAP and then built up a Schiit stack. I started with an iBasso DX90, then added a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, then Modi 2 Uber, then kept going up the chain as funds allowed. The Fulla 2 is really good for $100. You just may want to EQ the bass down, nothing wrong with that. Or look at the Fiio X1 or X3, both are fantastic for the price and will drive the 1540 acceptably.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #1,604 of 2,681
Just got a pair of these yesterday and have to say I'm most pleased, comfort is superb (I have a small head). My wife got the NAD HP50's and even at the smallest fitting are too big for me. The Sound is actually excellent. Listened to Holly Cole's Dark Dear Heart (A favourite album of mine). These make me think they are the person child of LCD-X and HD650.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,605 of 2,681
  Just got a pair of these yesterday and have to say I'm most pleased, comfort is superb (I have a small head). My wife got the NAD HP50's and even at the smallest fitting are too big for me. The Sound is actually excellent. Listened to Holly Cole's Dark Dear Heart (A favourite album of mine). These make me think they are the person child of LCD-X and HD650.

any experience with 440. If so, are you able to share some insight. I had the 440s for a year or two 4 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back