Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 14, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #1,201 of 2,681
Been trying on the 1540 as a mobile headphone - it works better than I thought, but I am debating what's the best mobile amp to use with this setup.

Quote:
Graphs do not show everything.

It was obvious that the mids were recessed relative to the bass and treble. Didn't need graphs to prove this to me. I tend to agree with Tyll's graphs most of the time. This was not one of them. (Just as that infamous D7000 graph that doesn't look remotely close to how the D7000 actually sounds)

Had the 1540 next to the X2 (side by side comparison) which the graphs looked even more recessed, yet anyone who'd say the X2 has recessed mids next to the 1540 is an outright liar.

For people to think the mids on these are neutral... you must have some truly mid deprived headphones by comparison. I don't think they are VERY v-shaped. Just slight v-shaped.

It's definitely a moderate V shape. Not big, but easily noticeable.

Coming from studio monitors, it will be noticeable right away almost.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,202 of 2,681
Yeah the 1540 has a slight "V" but it is pretty subtle.  As a test I EQ'ed the mid-range the sound stage is reduced dramatically giving a thick sluggish sound (not good).  This slight V really opens these cans up which I think makes them exceptional.  I would say if you are looking or want to hear a "V" shaped headphone try the Beyerdynamic DT 990.  Those are very V shaped with a humped low end and sparkly treble.  This extreme V does sometimes produce a thin sound.  I think Shure did it well by just doing a slight V shape.  It makes it a versatile tuning. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,203 of 2,681
V shaped = Closed headphones

Mid forward = Open headphones

I think if these were any less V shaped they would not be as good... I tried EQ'ing the upper mids and it did not sound right. More upper mids would be nice but I can see why they did not do that with closed headphones.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,204 of 2,681
  V shaped = Closed headphones

Mid forward = Open headphones

I think if these were any less V shaped they would not be as good... I tried EQ'ing the upper mids and it did not sound right. More upper mids would be nice but I can see why they did not do that with closed headphones.

Not always the case. There are tons of V-shaped open headphones such as SA5000, Big Grado ones, and in lesser extent HD700.

That said, there aren't many good mid forward sounding closed headphones though indeed.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #1,208 of 2,681
WIth a little luck, I should have a Shure 1540 by month's end or early next month, together with a Denon AH-D7k. Pretty stoked as I know a guy who can make custom cables for me, looking forward to getting these badboys....

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #1,209 of 2,681
Apr 17, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,210 of 2,681
  WIth a little luck, I should have a Shure 1540 by month's end or early next month, together with a Denon AH-D7k. Pretty stoked as I know a guy who can make custom cables for me, looking forward to getting these badboys....

Would be interested to hear how you think they compare to some of the high end headphones in your sig. eg. LCD 2.2, HD800, HiFiman HE500, HiFiMan HE400i, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. With the 1540 and D7000, you pretty much have all the good headphones!

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #1,211 of 2,681
Dunno why'd you get the 1540 when you have the D7K. I'd never touch the 1540 with the D7K's in the vicinity. But I'm usually a one open, one closed, one portable headphone kind of guy...

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #1,212 of 2,681
Dunno why'd you get the 1540 when you have the D7K. I'd never touch the 1540 with the D7K's in the vicinity. But I'm usually a one open, one closed, one portable headphone kind of guy...

I don't have either at the moment, but I should, with some luck, be getting both of them on the same day. I sorta go overboard when I get into something, I have about 30 mechanical keyboards ( from Cherry MX to Topre to buckling spring) when I was into keyboard phase, now it's headphones....I'm not looking for a particular signature sound, rather, I appreciate and enjoy the various cans I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back