Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,231 of 2,683
Thanks, that gives me a better idea of what the shures bass is like.

I used to own the Vibro. While it has gorgeous mids, I ended up selling it because the bass didnt do it for me. Subbass was too rolled off, though not terrible in all fairness. Only heard the blackwood a few times.

I agree about the vibros, their sub bass was a bit weak, but the bass boost on the cayin c5 helped quite a bit, and so did the fact that the mids are gorgeous. In this hobby I started as a treble head, loving akgs and beyers, then I became a bass head loving denons, and now I love mids, and if a headphone has recessed mids it won't make the cut. Despite this, I really enjoyed the shure midrange presentation, quite similar to my mdr z7 actually.

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,232 of 2,683
http://headphone.guru/shure-srh1540-a-sure-bet/

Here's my review.

I know people are gonna bitch about me calling them v-shaped, mid recessed, and that's tough luck, but that is how I hear it. You don't have to agree. But I have heard plenty of neutral to NOT mid recessed headphones. The 1540 isn't one of them.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,233 of 2,683

Here's my review.

I know people are gonna bitch about me calling them v-shaped, mid recessed, and that's tough luck, but that is how I hear it. You don't have to agree. But I have heard plenty of neutral to NOT mid recessed headphones. The 1540 isn't one of them.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #1,234 of 2,683
Oooh, so looking forward to getting it after reading your review!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,235 of 2,683
Its a great headphone. I think most people would be pleased with the 1540.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #1,236 of 2,683
Good review...  I still think these are closer to "harman response curve" than "V" shaped, but yes they are "V" shaped as in the bass and treble are forward (a bit) compared to the upper mid range. These are great for electronic music and gaming, and very good / good for anything else.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #1,238 of 2,683

Here's my review.

You mentioned the bass distortion, and I wanted to mention that it is greatly reduced when paired with a dedicated amp.  I use the fiio e17k--->e09k combo and I don't get any noticeable distortion.  Bass finds its place.  It is still very punchy and energetic, but is not as bloated.  The sound stage also gains a little more air.  The mids get a little more separation which attributes to the increase sound stage.  It seems the 1540 is more power hungry then indicated!

P.S. I agree, they are V-shaped! (which I like about them ha)

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,239 of 2,683
  You mentioned the bass distortion, and I wanted to mention that it is greatly reduced when paired with a dedicated amp.  I use the fiio e17k--->e09k combo and I don't get any noticeable distortion.  Bass finds its place.  It is still very punchy and energetic, but is not as bloated.  The sound stage also gains a little more air.  The mids get a little more separation which attributes to the increase sound stage.  It seems the 1540 is more power hungry then indicated!

P.S. I agree, they are V-shaped! (which I like about them ha)

Agreed. It was greatly reduced with Magni 2 Uber, and even more so with Asgard 2. Vee smee, don't care, they sound good to me, make me smile. I would like a different headband, and the cable is so gumby, the bends will not relax, my only complaints.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,240 of 2,683

Agreed. It was greatly reduced with Magni 2 Uber, and even more so with Asgard 2. Vee smee, don't care, they sound good to me, make me smile. I would like a different headband, and the cable is so gumby, the bends will not relax, my only complaints.

You might think about adding padding to the headband.  I did this and now there are no pressure points, making it the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned.  There should be an image later in the thread that I posted.

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,241 of 2,683
  You might think about adding padding to the headband.  I did this and now there are no pressure points, making it the most comfortable headphone I have ever owned.  There should be an image later in the thread that I posted.

I'm wondering what you did for padding.

I'm thinking about cutting out a piece of my foam mattress topper and wrapping it onto the band with a leather tennis grip. Cost should be like $5-10.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,243 of 2,683
Just adjust the headbands so it is not tight on top of your head and you won't have any problems...
Actually, I wear them fully extended so they sort of rest on my ears as well. Problem is that I barely have any hair so this split headband thing puts an indent in my head since it doesn't have much cushion at all. They're light but the become too noticeable after like 30 mins for me simply because of the band.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,244 of 2,683
  I'm wondering what you did for padding.

I'm thinking about cutting out a piece of my foam mattress topper and wrapping it onto the band with a leather tennis grip. Cost should be like $5-10.

This is what I did for padding.  I ordered it off Amazon.  It is a universal knit sleeve.  Works very well as it removes pressure points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back