Shure SRH1540 Review
Apr 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,187 of 2,683
I found that for both the 1540 and 1840, you have to gently rest the top part of the inner pad on your ear to have optimal sound. I felt like that somewhat opened the soundstage and added a tad bit more air. Can someone also test this out? I don't think it's a placebo thing...

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,188 of 2,683
  I found that for both the 1540 and 1840, you have to gently rest the top part of the inner pad on your ear to have optimal sound. I felt like that somewhat opened the soundstage and added a tad bit more air. Can someone also test this out? I don't think it's a placebo thing...

It's definitely not placebo, had the same exact thing with the Philips Fidelio X1...

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,189 of 2,683

Yes if you have it so your ear is touching the rear and top of the pads (or very close) the soundstage is better and overall sound is better...  Also make sure that the 1540 are sealed under your ears.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #1,190 of 2,683
I find it hilarious that people buy headphones known to have recessed mids, and complain that they have recessed mids.

Do your homework before buying something. The 1540 is more of a bass and treble headphone, which some people prefer. If you want better mids, perhaps next time buy headphones known for that.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #1,191 of 2,683
I find it hilarious that people buy headphones known to have recessed mids, and complain that they have recessed mids.

Do your homework before buying something. The 1540 is more of a bass and treble headphone, which some people prefer. If you want better mids, perhaps next time buy headphones known for that.

The mids are not even recessed THAT much. HD650 for example has forward mids, D2000 or HE400 has recessed mids, 1540 is somewhere between.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,193 of 2,683
The 1540 is v shaped. I dont think that can be disputed. By nature, mids are recessed. Its those statements that they are neutral that give others the weird notion that the 1540 isnt v shaped.

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,194 of 2,683
The 1540 is v shaped. I dont think that can be disputed. By nature, mids are recessed. Its those statements that they are neutral that give others the weird notion that the 1540 isnt v shaped.

They aren't really THAT "V" shaped though.... They just have slightly recessed upper midrange and a small treble spike.... Compared to some very "V" shaped headphones for example HE400, D2000, ultrasone etc. they are hardly V shaped at all. If you try using the D2000 or HE400 for example with a youtube video it is almost unlistenable, on the 1540 it is not a problem at all.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,195 of 2,683
His point is that making those type of statements will throw some people off. To people accustomed to headphones like the HD650, 400i, MA900, and such, these WILL seem THAT V-shaped. Your points are correct, nicholars, but must be worded carefully to keep from misguiding those who love their forward mids.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,196 of 2,683
Yup. No matter how you slice it, the 1540 is not a mid neutral or mid centric headphone. You may personally not feel they are that recessed, but they ARE recessed. Those who are buying, need to know what to expect, no matter how minimal you think it may be.

I personally hear them as V-shaped. Just as I expected. The mids are their weakest aspect of sound, just as they are on all v-shaped headphones by design.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,197 of 2,683
Yup. No matter how you slice it, the 1540 is not a mid neutral or mid centric headphone. You may personally not feel they are that recessed, but they ARE recessed. Those who are buying, need to know what to expect, no matter how minimal you think it may be.

I personally hear them as V-shaped. Just as I expected. The mids are their weakest aspect of sound, just as they are on all v-shaped headphones by design.

Sort of yes but compared to a lot of headphones the midrange is still good on these headphones.... Slightly recessed compared to the bass and treble... But the midrange is not quiet or with chunks missing like on some headphones... "V" shaped would be Denon D2000 or HE400, Vmoda etc. super bright treble and quiet midrange... The 1540 are more balanced.

"Harman response curve"

*slightly* recessed midrange and small treble spike!

Innerfidelity review : "I'd call them a neutral headphone with a bit of character."  

I win because my post was longer and has more pictures.

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,198 of 2,683
They are not V shaped. Mids are pretty even with a slight dip in the uppers and a slight spike up top.

They are not mid centric which doesn't work well in closed phones IMO I would say they are pretty well balanced. They can sound a little lean in the centre but calling them V shaped is just exaggerating.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #1,199 of 2,683
Graphs do not show everything.

It was obvious that the mids were recessed relative to the bass and treble. Didn't need graphs to prove this to me. I tend to agree with Tyll's graphs most of the time. This was not one of them. (Just as that infamous D7000 graph that doesn't look remotely close to how the D7000 actually sounds)

Had the 1540 next to the X2 (side by side comparison) which the graphs looked even more recessed, yet anyone who'd say the X2 has recessed mids next to the 1540 is an outright liar.

For people to think the mids on these are neutral... you must have some truly mid deprived headphones by comparison. I don't think they are VERY v-shaped. Just slight v-shaped.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,200 of 2,683
Graphs do not show everything.

It was obvious that the mids were recessed relative to the bass and treble. Didn't need graphs to prove this to me. I tend to agree with Tyll's graphs most of the time. This was not one of them. (Just as that infamous D7000 graph that doesn't look remotely close to how the D7000 actually sounds)

Had the 1540 next to the X2 (side by side comparison) which the graphs looked even more recessed, yet anyone who'd say the X2 has recessed mids next to the 1540 is an outright liar.

For people to think the mids on these are neutral... you must have some truly mid deprived headphones by comparison. I don't think they are VERY v-shaped. Just slight v-shaped.

From what I have tried, mid forward, closed headphones do not work well eg. you would not get the large soundstage and imaging, which are 2 of the best aspects of the 1540, without having a slightly V shaped sound.. If it bothers you that much trying using a 31 band EQ and lowering 10 and 12.5khz by 1-3db, this makes them sound a lot less "V" shaped and not even remotely harsh or sibilant, not that they are very harsh or sibilant without EQ anyway. These are certainly not mid forward though, best thing would be a pair of closed (1540) and a pair of mid forward open headphones as a combo eg. 1540 + HD650 / HE400i (probably, have not heard the HE400i yet). I noticed also these sounded more "V" shaped + sharper treble with the Xonar STX, whereas with the NAD D1050 the mids seem to sound fuller and the treble is smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back