Shure SRH1540 Review
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #1,156 of 2,681

The main reason is the strong US dollar. The US dollar has been rising very rapidly against the Euro, Canadian dollar, Australian dollar, and several other currencies. Commodity prices have fallen, which is why the CAD and AUD are weaker (at least in part), and the European economy is in deep recession due to the policies that they've chosen.

Unfortunately for us living outside the US, that means that the cost of audio equipment too has gone up. Shure is an American company. The other concern is your nation's currency against those of Japanese Yen and Chinese Yuan (remember a lot of cans are made in China nowadays, including many audiophile ones).

My advice is to see what you can buy used these days.

I thought shure was a japanese company?

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,158 of 2,681
Now that I've sold my last set of alcantara pads I came out even at $500 with the alpha pads. And I've mentioned over and over how much better the quality of it is, sounding like it fits its price range and maybe higher. I tried to go back to the stock pads, but it leaves me feeling like it is much less refined and overpriced.

I was wondering, how much of the comfort is lost with the pad swap, and if it they super stretched the headphones (meaning going back to old pads is not possible any more).  Also were they hard to fit on? sorry if you have repeated this a thousand times.  I thank you in advance.  I am seriously considering getting these pads but I want to make sure the price is justified and all

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,159 of 2,681
Comfort is all subjective. That said, the alpha pads are some of the most comfortable non-velour-ish pads I have ever tried. One can go back to stock, if preferred, as the alcantara pads easily go on and off. It's the alpha pads that are somewhat challenging in getting on and getting a proper fit. If done right, it sounds like a much better headphone.

All subjective, again, of course...

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,160 of 2,681
Now that I've sold my last set of alcantara pads I came out even at $500 with the alpha pads. And I've mentioned over and over how much better the quality of it is, sounding like it fits its price range and maybe higher. I tried to go back to the stock pads, but it leaves me feeling like it is much less refined and overpriced.

The alpha pads definitely got me raising eyebrows. Can you tell me about the differences more in-depth?

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,161 of 2,681
Comfort is all subjective. That said, the alpha pads are some of the most comfortable non-velour-ish pads I have ever tried. One can go back to stock, if preferred, as the alcantara pads easily go on and off. It's the alpha pads that are somewhat challenging in getting on and getting a proper fit. If done right, it sounds like a much better headphone.

Awesome thanks for your input, I am considering pulling the  trigger, if the dont work I suppose I can see if the fit my DT990? that would be interesting.  If only they were not so damn expensive, awe well.  As of now I am thinking I will pull the trigger and see what I think.  I will reprt my findings here!

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,163 of 2,681
  Hello,

I'm looking for a comfortable headphone for outdoor ( bus, school, etc.) and while this is a bit over my budget it seems really nice.

Do some of you take these outside ?

They are relatively durable, although I would be worried about scratching the ear cups though. One thing I wish they would do is fold, but on the upside, they are very light and durable because they were designed with as few moving parts as possible. Mostly cosmetic - would not affect noise though. They are also exceedingly comfortable (for long listening sessions) and the stock cable is not very long.

One advantage that they do have is that they are easy to drive, although you will need a good amp (on that note, I'm not sure what's the best portable amp) to bring out the full potential.

They are viable as a mobile headphone, although not without flaws.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,164 of 2,681

What are the actual sound differences? Problem with changing pads is that the comfort for me is 100% perfect with the alcantera pads... But what are the sound differences with the alpha pads?

Apr 2, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,165 of 2,681
Thanks WholsThis,

I have to find a place were I can try them (which won't be easy in Geneva City) because I find that it's a bit too much for a portable pair. I've also to find a place where I can try other concurrent such as the sony MDR-1A which was recommended to me by some members here for the comfort side.

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,166 of 2,681
  Hello,

I'm looking for a comfortable headphone for outdoor ( bus, school, etc.) and while this is a bit over my budget it seems really nice.

Do some of you take these outside ?

I wouldn't really take these out, they are rather large and not very portable imo, the provided carry case is huge! At the moment my portable of choice is the oppo pm-3, they're bit on the expensive side but they sound great, they're very comfortable and well built. The b&o h6 or the new sennheiser momentum 2 are also very good for portable cans. If you want something smaller like an on-ear then the beyerdynamic t51p or kef m500 both sound pretty good and are quite comfortable.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,168 of 2,681
I'm considering these having just returned a pair of momentum 2 wireless phones.

I have a pair of Grado RS1i that I use at home, mostly when playing guitar through an Axe Fx 2 but also with my iPhone 6. I really like the Grados though they can be slightly peaky. I like their bass response. Drums sound like drums. Duffs bass on Nightrain sounds spanky like a bass should rather than round and dull like the party next door which is how the Momentums present it.

I'm torn between the Shure 1540 and the Oppo PM3. Both are about same price in UK. I can probably audition the Shure. Not so the Oppo.

Tastes: 80s Hard Rock and Metal, Rock, Vocals like Norah Jones, occasional current pop and modern Metal - getting into Periphery.

I hated the Momentum. Their bass was so amped, round, dull, and overpowered the rest of the spectrum. Guitars lost their treble, edge, rawness, Bass and Drums sounded off. I'm worried the 1540 will have similar issues? Their lightness and Alcantara cups are appealing. The more portable PM3 is appealing too, and from reviews I think it's sound might be more appealing.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #1,170 of 2,681
Hm, after looking around a bit and talking to an audiophile friend he reccomended these babys to me. Have faith they will easily go toe to toe with my XB700's without trying. The bass is my only concern but if it has a bit of a kick to it I wont mind much. Good review though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back