Shure SRH1540 Review
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #571 of 2,678
Yeah, I've noticed a little pressure on the crown, but goes away when I push them back a little. Actually I'm pretty sure the pressure is because of my hair part and the general lumpy landscape of my head. :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #572 of 2,678
  Yeah, I've noticed a little pressure on the crown, but goes away when I push them back a little. Actually I'm pretty sure the pressure is because of my hair part and the general lumpy landscape of my head. :)

You can bend the headband quite a bit before listening or even bend the metal toward the a tad.  That helped me get them to fit my head a tad more comfortably (I have a large melon haha).

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #573 of 2,678

I do not have a headphone amp (and never owned one) and with spending less than I thought on the actual headphones I have some money left over for an amp and possibly an upgraded cable. I am wondering a couple things and would like people's opinion:

Well, this is why you didn't like HD650s, they need a good amp. When you listen to them with a good amp, few headphones can touch its musicality.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #574 of 2,678
True, I love the 1540, didn't like my 650s until I heard them through RS HR2 and Geek Out 1k, then, "Wow!"

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #575 of 2,678
Don't suppose anyone here have tried the HD700 as well as SRH1540? Know these are closed, so probably a big difference in soundstage, but i must say the SRH1540 looks interesting, and am curious about maybe buying a pair.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #576 of 2,678
I'm selling mine on the sale forums if anyone is interested.

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #577 of 2,678
Don't suppose anyone here have tried the HD700 as well as SRH1540? Know these are closed, so probably a big difference in soundstage, but i must say the SRH1540 looks interesting, and am curious about maybe buying a pair.

I have tried both.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #579 of 2,678
Don't suppose you got any comparison between the two? =)

I don't think a direct comparison is very fair given how different these headphones are from each other (open vs. closed).  I personally found the HD700 to be a waste of money even at $750 but mind you, I was listening to both via my cellphone with no amp involved.  The HD700 has much more details but the sound didn't sound full something was missed when I listened to them, after I listened to them I looked at the frequency graph and noticed the big dip and figured out that that was part of what I was noticing.  They are both very comfortable though.  I need to go back and listen to the HD700s on an amp and verify if I still dislike the sound signature.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #581 of 2,678
  The more I use these the quicker I seem to get discomfort from the headband... bugger. First week or 2 it wasn't an issue at all.

Yes I agree, the headband could be more comfortable.  The padding is a little hard especially for someone with a shaved head.  But it still isn't bad at all, just a little annoying.  The Fidelio X1 is still the most comfortable headphone I have.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #582 of 2,678
Don't suppose you got any comparison between the two? =)

I did listen to the hd700s again while I was my local Best Buy. I think if you can get them for around $500 then it's worth it but I do find that the 1540s sound better to my ears.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #583 of 2,678
Thanks to a posting on the "Deals" thread, I've got a 'Used - Like New'  pair ($350) on the way to me from Amazon.  I've also got the 940 so I may be doing some pad swapping.

By virtue of this post, I am hereby subscribing to this thread  
dt880smile.png

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #584 of 2,678
  Thanks to a posting on the "Deals" thread, I've got a 'Used - Like New'  pair ($350) on the way to me from Amazon.  I've also got the 940 so I may be doing some pad swapping.

By virtue of this post, I am hereby subscribing to this thread  
dt880smile.png

I got this with the same deal! Personally I prefer it with the 940 pads. I find it reduces the bass presence and brings out the treble a bit more. I'm coming for the HD800 signature with a very tight and quick bass, but not so much of a presence. First impressions, I was turned off by the bass and to me it was too dark and reminded me of the LCD-2. With the 940 pads though, my opinion on them changed dramatically. For the price, these are some of the best sounding headphones both open and closed. The spaciousness and detailing is truly superb.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #585 of 2,678
I got this with the same deal! Personally I prefer it with the 940 pads. I find it reduces the bass presence and brings out the treble a bit more. I'm coming for the HD800 signature with a very tight and quick bass, but not so much of a presence. First impressions, I was turned off by the bass and to me it was too dark and reminded me of the LCD-2. With the 940 pads though, my opinion on them changed dramatically. For the price, these are some of the best sounding headphones both open and closed. The spaciousness and detailing is truly superb.
I really don't find the 1540 spacious. It has very upfront presentation. I feel like I'm on stage with the band...which I like but I don't understand people saying the 1540 has a wide soundstage. Maybe the bass is making it sound less wide to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back