Shure SRH1540 Review
Jun 8, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #541 of 2,680
Do you only read the bits that look bad to you. I like them as much as the 770 but feel they are overpriced. I obviously like things about them, I think they make a good traveling headphone for long journeys. Stop taking everything as negative and man up and accept that not everyone has to give 100% praise. Again, good headphones but with flaws.

Deleted

Jun 8, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #542 of 2,680
Interested to read the fit/comfort issues, I have absolutely zero issues with either, using the halfway point of the extensions. I had an issue wit the 940 never feeling like it closed over my left ear properly, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Don't feel like I have to do any modding or replacements to fix comfort.

If you have a large head you would notice it. It's not that bad though as I have a large head and still find them very enjoyable comfort-wise

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #543 of 2,680

As requested, dressed in her new pads :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #544 of 2,680
Just gotta say,the 1540 out of Geek Out 1k is HEAVENLY!

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #545 of 2,680
Hi guys

New owner here. Not an avid headphone listener up to recently (small baby arrived). Have had a pair of HD650s running mainly off the headphone output of a either a Classe CP-800 or a old Audible Illusions L-1. Never really warmed up to them as I found them uncomfortable to wear and didn't really like the sound.

With small baby arriving and not being able to listen to main hifi an night time (main listening time) I decided to try and find a pair of headphones that I actually liked the sound of. On a recent trip overseas I stumbled upon the 1540s in a shop and really liked the sound with music coming off my Nexus 5! Tried several other pairs and ended up deciding that the 1540s were the pair for me. Returned home and ordered them...arrived yesterday afternoon and are currently burning in until the weekend (when I will have a bit of time to sit and listen). Very excited...I initially thought that I would need to spend a bit more (HD800/w1000 money) to get the sound I wanted.

I've read the whole thread and glad that there are a lot of you that like these phones. I've read only a handful of people talking about different cables and amps to use. I do not have a headphone amp (and never owned one) and with spending less than I thought on the actual headphones I have some money left over for an amp and possibly an upgraded cable. I am wondering a couple things and would like people's opinion:

1. Having access to a second set of balanced outputs on my preamp would something balanced like the Schiit Mjonlir (which costs more than the 1540s) be just a big overkill? If so would you go for solid state or valve? I don't plan in using these outside the house so portability is not an issue for me.

2. Has anyone found the sound to improve with a different cable?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #546 of 2,680

1. Having access to a second set of balanced outputs on my preamp would something balanced like the Schiit Mjonlir (which costs more than the 1540s) be just a big overkill? If so would you go for solid state or valve? I don't plan in using these outside the house so portability is not an issue for me.

Thanks

You'd have to get a balanced cable for them because the Mjolnir will mute the output when using a adapter, so you'll have to add that to your cost as well.

The 1540s actually sound best when played at lower volume. As you increase it, the bass loses some texture and the highs are a little strident.  So, the extra power of the Mjolnir may not be an advantage. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #547 of 2,680
  Hi guys

New owner here. Not an avid headphone listener up to recently (small baby arrived). Have had a pair of HD650s running mainly off the headphone output of a either a Classe CP-800 or a old Audible Illusions L-1. Never really warmed up to them as I found them uncomfortable to wear and didn't really like the sound.

With small baby arriving and not being able to listen to main hifi an night time (main listening time) I decided to try and find a pair of headphones that I actually liked the sound of. On a recent trip overseas I stumbled upon the 1540s in a shop and really liked the sound with music coming off my Nexus 5! Tried several other pairs and ended up deciding that the 1540s were the pair for me. Returned home and ordered them...arrived yesterday afternoon and are currently burning in until the weekend (when I will have a bit of time to sit and listen). Very excited...I initially thought that I would need to spend a bit more (HD800/w1000 money) to get the sound I wanted.

I've read the whole thread and glad that there are a lot of you that like these phones. I've read only a handful of people talking about different cables and amps to use. I do not have a headphone amp (and never owned one) and with spending less than I thought on the actual headphones I have some money left over for an amp and possibly an upgraded cable. I am wondering a couple things and would like people's opinion:

Thanks

I think you'll be fine with a Schiit Asgard 2.  I have that pairing and really enjoy it.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #548 of 2,680
Just received my 1540's in the mail today. These are phenomenal headphones. I know there has been some debate on this point, but in my opinion they are comparable to the HD650 in sound signature, with a little more treble (the graphs confirm this, I believe?). I am most impressed with the soundstage - you can hardly tell these are closed back headphones. Great separation, very detailed and articulate. 

I listened to the NAD VISO HP50 the other week and to me it's not even close, the 1540 is a better headphone. 

If I had to find a fault in them so far, it's the leakage/isolation. Could be better for closed headphones, but then again I think there might be a tradeoff here with the soundstage. In the end it might actually be a perfect balance. 

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #550 of 2,680
Do you think the Valhalla 2 will be ok? Reason I'm asking is that I've been offered one locally for a very good price that's only a couple of weeks old (buyer remorse) by a colleague (I've looked at invoices etc)?

Jun 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #551 of 2,680
Do you think the Valhalla 2 will be ok? Reason I'm asking is that I've been offered one locally for a very good price that's only a couple of weeks old (buyer remorse) by a colleague (I've looked at invoices etc)?

Won't be the greatest match.  Low gain might be acceptable, but the Asgard, Magni, or Vali would be better, and those are cheaper than a fair used price of Valhalla. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #552 of 2,680

i'm not sure about valhalla 2 but i paired my 1540 with vali, it's a great pair thought

Jun 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #553 of 2,680
Had been listening to these out of my profire 610, while plenty powerful enough it really did bloat the bass and obscure the highs. Changing to Aune T1 made a huge difference. Really brought out the crisp highs.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #554 of 2,680
I'm looking for a pair of Shure SRH1540 ear pads.
If you want to sell them to me, please send a PM.
Thanks.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #555 of 2,680
So...update my fellow headfiers...

I brought home a Valhalla 2 and tried it out. It was fairly new with under 10 hours of use. First impressions, compared to coming off straight from a MacBook were good. Clearer sound, more power, bigger soundstage. Listened to with the Shures a bit, but unfortunately the pair did not work well. Bass was bloated, mids were weird (can't describe them any other way) and highs were just a bit brittle. Tried the HD650s as well and these really sang with the Valhalla 2 but as I'm not keeping them, there was no point so I returned this Schiit. It seems that the way to go would be with something else (I'm very new to headphone listening) and the Bifrost/Asgard 2 combo is looking increasingly tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back