Shure SRH1540 Review
May 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #526 of 2,679
Yea I didn't notice much difference either after burn-in with the 1540s.  I did however notice alot of change in the Denon D600s though.  Well crap, I was hoping I resolved your problem too lol.  I have no idea what's going on then, beyond the conclusions you already made.

May 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #527 of 2,679
  Yea I didn't notice much difference either after burn-in with the 1540s.  I did however notice alot of change in the Denon D600s though.  Well crap, I was hoping I resolved your problem too lol.  I have no idea what's going on then, beyond the conclusions you already made.

Yeah, I had the D600's too. They were almost keepers but the bass, although abundant, was not as "good" as the 1540's (to my ear). I'm wanting a good headphone for jazz that doesn't panic when confronted with funk, and the 1540's seem to be the in that sweet spot - if not a great all-arounder anyway.

May 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #528 of 2,679

Yeah, I had the D600's too. They were almost keepers but the bass, although abundant, was not as "good" as the 1540's (to my ear). I'm wanting a good headphone for jazz that doesn't panic when confronted with funk, and the 1540's seem to be the in that sweet spot - if not a great all-arounder anyway.

I really liked them (so comfortable) but when I was watching movies sometimes (unless I turned the volume up) and there was a quieter discussion going on, I had a tough time hearing the whole discussion.

May 31, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #529 of 2,679
Just got these, enjoying so far!

Really like the fit, much more so than the 940 which never quite felt the same to me on both sides. These are very light and have just enough pressure to not move about on my head. Never does it feel like it's clamping too hard. Haven't felt any discomfort with the headband yet. Not hearing any channel imbalance.

Compared to the 940 that I used to own they do sound bassier, and not quite as bright up top. Nice compliment to my ad1000x.

May 31, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #530 of 2,679
Just got these, enjoying so far!

Really like the fit, much more so than the 940 which never quite felt the same to me on both sides. These are very light and have just enough pressure to not move about on my head. Never does it feel like it's clamping too hard. Haven't felt any discomfort with the headband yet. Not hearing any channel imbalance.

Compared to the 940 that I used to own they do sound bassier, and not quite as bright up top. Nice compliment to my ad1000x.

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #531 of 2,679
Any comparisons between the 1540 and TH600? 

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #533 of 2,679
I bought the Shure SRH1540 to replace my old Denon AHD5000 that a co-worker begged to buy from me.

Given what I have read, I was surprised out how recessed the bass seemed straight out of the box.  I have been driving them with a Schiit Uber Bifrost DAC and the first gen Asgard amp.  After about 30 hours, the bass has really opened up and strengthened.  However, I have also noted that fit and positioning of these headphones has a huge impact on the bass, much more so than on other headphones I have owned.  The combination of gently warping the leather-wrapped headband and the burn-in has revealed the warm character that other folks have written about.  While not as lush as the Denon, the bass on the Shure is much more detailed.

I also can hear why some reviewers have compared the sound to Sennheiser.  My other headphones are a Senn HD590 at home and a HD598 for the office (when it's quiet) and the profile seems similar to me.  However, the soundstage on the Senn is broader and more laid back whereas the Shure is very upfront and present.  Still, the separation and resolving ability is very good.

The ergonomics are very good and out of box the earpads are just as soft and conforming as the DH590's which have had 15 years to soften up.  Fitwise, the Shure's are a bit on the small side.  At the greatest extension, the Shures ride about 3/4" higher than the Senns at their full extension.

As others have commented, the shape of the band tends to put more pressure on the bottom portion of the pads than on the top (at least for my head).  This also lessens the isolation and the bass.  However, I manipulated the steel headband and was able to adjust the fit.  As in Tyll's video, I grasped the headband at the plastic ends of the band (where the earcup risers slide) and twisted a bit.  I wanted to raise the arc of the band while also lessening the pressure at the bottom of the pads, so with the headband held in my hands in front of me I slighted rotated my hands in while simultaneously bring my hands closer together.  The deformation looked a bit like an omega sign or a rounded hill.  The band is quite springy so it obviously does not keep this shape, but it did warp the metal enough to flatten the earpad fit and increase the height.  It also had the effect of improving the isolation and the bass.

Another thing I have noticed, the cable length at 6 ft is pretty good for desktop/office use, but could be a bit short for home "living room" use.  Including two identical cables is great for longevity, but I think I would have preferred two cable lengths in the package.  Are there many options out there?  I have found Moon Audio's Silver and Black Dragon cables, but I haven't found any forum posts yet discussing them on the Shure 1540.

Overall, I am in love with these headphones.

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #534 of 2,679
A just got these again for a,good deal. The pads are amazing. The sound is good but honestly my DT770 sound quite close in terms of quality.

Soundstage and image goes to the DT770

Bass DT770.

Mids similar but the 770 are more spacious but the 1540 have a softer sound to the mids.

Treble 1540 for me it's a tad more detailed.

Other areas the grain and dryness of the 1540 is still an issue, the 770 is more liquidy. Build the 770 is more tested, 1540 feels solid though.

The 770 is a bargain, it's price is obviously due to the 770 being around longer.

The Shure 1540 still has the same issues but I love the comfort and detail on them. I wish they could be more 650 like for vocals!

This is my 2nd pair if I,didn't get them so cheap I probably wouldn't of got them again as they are really overpriced.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #535 of 2,679

Man, we have a lot in common (compare our equipment). :beerchug: Welcome to the club!

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #536 of 2,679
A just got these again for a,good deal. The pads are amazing. The sound is good but honestly my DT770 sound quite close in terms of quality.

Soundstage and image goes to the DT770

Bass DT770.

Mids similar but the 770 are more spacious but the 1540 have a softer sound to the mids.

Treble 1540 for me it's a tad more detailed.

Other areas the grain and dryness of the 1540 is still an issue, the 770 is more liquidy. Build the 770 is more tested, 1540 feels solid though.

The 770 is a bargain, it's price is obviously due to the 770 being around longer.

The Shure 1540 still has the same issues but I love the comfort and detail on them. I wish they could be more 650 like for vocals!

This is my 2nd pair if I,didn't get them so cheap I probably wouldn't of got them again as they are really overpriced.

Why would you headphones, that you dislike, again? That makes no sense at all... Even if it was a good deal why buy them? Why would you post another negative review of the 1540 in the 1540 appreciation thread? We understand you don't like them (from your first review/impressions) so please quit trying to start trouble.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #537 of 2,679
I do find the 1540 has fit issues for me-the seal isn't good out of the box, open behind my ears, poor contact there. I did some of the bending described earlier, helped some, not completely. I did purchase the Mad Dog pads as a replacement, at first didn't like them (the included 1540 pads are SO comfortable), but have gotten used to them, and I find the seal is better, leading to better bass, mids, more open, they sound like I had expected them to sound from what I had read now (this is variable, depending on head size/shape, imo. In face, I think most disagreements between listeners on iems and over ears are due to variations in head/ear shape, fit/seal...it explains why one hears something like the Martin Logan Micros 90 as having the best bass ever, someone else wants to find out how to improve it, sounds bass deficient to them). Anyway, thanks for that tip, rescued these headphones for me!!:beerchug:

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #538 of 2,679
Interested to read the fit/comfort issues, I have absolutely zero issues with either, using the halfway point of the extensions. I had an issue wit the 940 never feeling like it closed over my left ear properly, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. Don't feel like I have to do any modding or replacements to fix comfort.

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #539 of 2,679
I do find the 1540 has fit issues for me-the seal isn't good out of the box, open behind my ears, poor contact there. I did some of the bending described earlier, helped some, not completely. I did purchase the Mad Dog pads as a replacement, at first didn't like them (the included 1540 pads are SO comfortable), but have gotten used to them, and I find the seal is better, leading to better bass, mids, more open, they sound like I had expected them to sound from what I had read now (this is variable, depending on head size/shape, imo. In face, I think most disagreements between listeners on iems and over ears are due to variations in head/ear shape, fit/seal...it explains why one hears something like the Martin Logan Micros 90 as having the best bass ever, someone else wants to find out how to improve it, sounds bass deficient to them). Anyway, thanks for that tip, rescued these headphones for me!!:beerchug:

No problem! Glad you were able to get the Alpha pads to fit correctly! :)

Pics please

Jun 8, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #540 of 2,679
Why would you headphones, that you dislike, again? That makes no sense at all... Even if it was a good deal why buy them? Why would you post another negative review of the 1540 in the 1540 appreciation thread? We understand you don't like them (from your first review/impressions) so please quit trying to start trouble.

Do you only read the bits that look bad to you. I like them as much as the 770 but feel they are overpriced. I obviously like things about them, I think they make a good traveling headphone for long journeys. Stop taking everything as negative and man up and accept that not everyone has to give 100% praise. Again, good headphones but with flaws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back