Shure SRH1540 Review
Jul 23, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #586 of 2,679
I really don't find the 1540 spacious. It has very upfront presentation. I feel like I'm on stage with the band...which I like but I don't understand people saying the 1540 has a wide soundstage. Maybe the bass is making it sound less wide to me?

That's because it is when compared to other closed headphones! And the 940 velour pads do open up the soundstage even more, while taming the bass by a good bit. Wasn't my cup of tea, but I can vouch for his statement.

I, however, prefer the sound I get with the MrSpeakers Alpha pads. I'ma borderline basshead, doe! :)

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #587 of 2,679
I really don't find the 1540 spacious. It has very upfront presentation. I feel like I'm on stage with the band...which I like but I don't understand people saying the 1540 has a wide soundstage. Maybe the bass is making it sound less wide to me?

It's relatively on the wider side to me compared to headphones that are not HD800. I think with the stock pads and the bass presence, it tends to drown out some of the details, and it's the background details that contribute to a sense of a larger soundstage. I'd place the soundstage on par with the HE-500 or HE-560 from memory. Those are open, but still had a sense of that wall of sound.

Now I should note I have a $2500 chain setup in front of the 1540 right now, so I'm getting close to the best out of them. Earlier though at work, I was listening it through Schiit Modi/Vali, and there the difference between the pads was even greater. This is likely because of impedance matching and the fact the Vali has a relatively high output impedance of 6.5 ohms. At home, my Questyle CMA800R amp has less than 1 ohm output impedance so the difference between the pads is not as much. But even through the Vali, I could sense that level of spaciousness. The Vali is known to be lean and accentuates soundstage well though.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #588 of 2,679

It definitely doesn't have a wide soundstage.  I have found that most closed cans don't have a wide soundstage.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #589 of 2,679
  It definitely doesn't have a wide soundstage.  I have found that most closed cans don't have a wide soundstage.

You know you guys could be right. After being so used to the HD800, everything else has about the same (smaller) soundstage to me lol.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #590 of 2,679
That's because it is when compared to other closed headphones! And the 940 velour pads do open up the soundstage even more, while taming the bass by a good bit. Wasn't my cup of tea, but I can vouch for his statement.

I, however, prefer the sound I get with the MrSpeakers Alpha pads. I'ma borderline basshead, doe!
smily_headphones1.gif

My only other closed can is the D2000.  and the D2000 sounds wider and more open to me. 

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #591 of 2,679
Quote:

My only other closed can is the D2000.  and the D2000 sounds wider and more open to me. 

With all due respect, I read the Denon Dx000s and also the Fostex THx00s are known to have some of the largest soundstages for closed headphones. I also read they isolate very poorly for closed cans, almost as if they were open headphones... so may that be why?

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #592 of 2,679
With all due respect, I read the Denon Dx000s and also the Fostex THx00s are known to have some of the largest soundstages for closed headphones. I also read they isolate very poorly for closed cans, almost as if they were open headphones... so may that be why?

Could very well be. Regardless the 1540 is definitely closer to my SR225i than my AD2000X when it comes to soundstage.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #593 of 2,679

I used to own the D2000 and currently own the 1540s and TH900s, I can confirm what you and bassboysam have said.

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #594 of 2,679
So at the SF meet I heard a lot of high-end open and closed headphones for the first time and recalled my 1540s kept up with almost all of them, but it was not the most ideal environment for comparisons. Today I stopped at a local retailer and pitted my 1540s against the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XCs using a variety of sources. The 1540s went toe-to-toe on absolutely everything. The open X's were a bit wider in soundstage, but as far as closed the 1540s are simply endgame. Considering open headphones, only ultra-nosebleed-expensive Stax setups at the meet were noticeably better than everything else. ($10k for a Stax SR-009 and a Blue Hawaii amp!) I am curious now to hear what the open Shure 1840s sound like, but open backs are not really practical for me.

I would consider the Alpha Dogs I heard at the meet to be comparable to the 1540s for a similar price, so that's a definite alternative for people to consider.

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #595 of 2,679
  So at the SF meet I heard a lot of high-end open and closed headphones for the first time and recalled my 1540s kept up with almost all of them, but it was not the most ideal environment for comparisons. Today I stopped at a local retailer and pitted my 1540s against the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XCs using a variety of sources. The 1540s went toe-to-toe on absolutely everything. The open X's were a bit wider in soundstage, but as far as closed the 1540s are simply endgame. Considering open headphones, only ultra-nosebleed-expensive Stax setups at the meet were noticeably better than everything else. ($10k for a Stax SR-009 and a Blue Hawaii amp!) I am curious now to hear what the open Shure 1840s sound like, but open backs are not really practical for me.

I would consider the Alpha Dogs I heard at the meet to be comparable to the 1540s for a similar price, so that's a definite alternative for people to consider.

Despite my enjoyment of the SRH1540, when I get home and put on my HD800, there's no comparison. HD800 with a good chain can really go up against even those electrostatics.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #596 of 2,679

Despite my enjoyment of the SRH1540, when I get home and put on my HD800, there's no comparison. HD800 with a good chain can really go up against even those electrostatics.

The SF meet was littered with HD800s and I wasn't really impressed with them. Same with all the HiFiMans. The Beyer T1s, Audezes, and some others were more my cup of tea, but I can't really explain why without more comparison time.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #597 of 2,679

The SF meet was littered with HD800s and I wasn't really impressed with them. Same with all the HiFiMans. The Beyer T1s, Audezes, and some others were more my cup of tea, but I can't really explain why without more comparison time.

Probably the bass. People tend to prefer headphones similar to the signature of ones they're used to, and it take some time before they start liking a new signature. You should seek out the TH900, especially if closed-backs are more practical for you. Though I heard it still leaks somewhat.

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #598 of 2,679
Probably the bass. People tend to prefer headphones similar to the signature of ones they're used to, and it take some time before they start liking a new signature. You should seek out the TH900, especially if closed-backs are more practical for you. Though I heard it still leaks somewhat.

They don't leak all that I much. I love my TH900s!

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #599 of 2,679
They don't leak all that I much. I love my TH900s!

I heard these at the meet... very nice they were. Again, though, not noticeably a step up from the 1540s.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #600 of 2,679
Having played with my recently acquired 1540s for a week now, I echo some previously expressed sentiments.

The bass on the 1540 is perfect for low-volume listening (think built-in loudness contour), but at higher volumes I find it too bloomy and boomy.

I DID switch pads with the 940 and agree it seems to make both pairs sound better to my ears.  I may even prefer the 940 now.  I didn't get much head time last night after I switched the pads, so I'll have to do some more listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back