Shure SRH1540 Review
May 28, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #497 of 2,681
^Who tf is you? If anything you're the one actin' like a kid... kiddo.

Back to speaking on the topic, at hand. The SRH1540 really is a winner for most people who like a fun, slightly u-shaped sound. To those who love their forward mids... these may not be their cup of tea.

I think he's just inexperienced or he's trolling.  The 1540s even got on Inner Fidelity's Wall of Fame which is a great accomplishment in my book so we really don't have to prove anything to this kid.

May 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #498 of 2,681
I think he's just inexperienced or he's trolling.  The 1540s even got on Inner Fidelity's Wall of Fame which is a great accomplishment in my book so we really don't have to prove anything to this kid.

I'm not saying he's trolling or inexperienced. Everyone will have different opinions on what they hear and like...

The point is to talk about it and keep it classy. Otherwise, just don't post at all...

May 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #499 of 2,681
Haha haha nice try. I've been into audio for nearly 15 years.
You are having a little cry because I don't like the 1540s dry and distant mids? Man up! Not everyone enjoy that type of sound. I actually did give them a lot of praise in other areas.

May 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #500 of 2,681
Everyone will have different opinions on what they hear and like...

The point is to talk about it and keep it classy. Otherwise, just don't post at all...

Agreed.  Maybe there's a language barrier that is causing problems here (I'm not making fun of him, it's just an observation)?

Anyway I am looking forward to a local headphone meet (in the next couple of months) where I can listen to my TH900s and 1540s on some other rigs.

May 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #501 of 2,681
I'm not saying he's trolling or inexperienced. Everyone will have different opinions on what they hear and like...

Which post did you feel I wasn't being classy? If you are talking about my big kiss comments it was literally a joke. The problem is on the internet people take things wrong! in person you would get my humor. I can assure you it's nothing personal.

May 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #502 of 2,681
Currawong is always watching.  He instructs us to not respond to trolls because it only makes the matters worse and further derails the threads.  I suspect many of the last posts will be deleted in the next day.  Don't let it get to you.

May 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #503 of 2,681
I haven't heard so many different opinions about the mids of a headphone until now. There are people who say that it has great, not recessed, beautiful, rich, detailed, full, warm and even lush mids. At the same time there are other people who says the opposite, dry and distant mids, not detailed, etc. I don't get it.

For me if the mids are distant or dry them it is very probably that I don't like the headphones too much.

May 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #504 of 2,681
Agreed.  Maybe there's a language barrier that is causing problems here (I'm not making fun of him, it's just an observation)?

Anyway I am looking forward to a local headphone meet (in the next couple of months) where I can listen to my TH900s and 1540s on some other rigs.

The fact that you own a TH900... and still own your 1540 leads me to believe these can hold their own weight for their price? :)

May 28, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #506 of 2,681
I haven't heard so many different opinions about the mids of a headphone until now. There are people who say that it has great, not recessed, beautiful, rich, detailed, full, warm and even lush mids. At the same time there are other people who says the opposite, dry and distant mids, not detailed, etc. I don't get it.

For me if the mids are distant or dry them it is very probably that I don't like the headphones too much.
You will have to try them yourself. I've owned every Shure headphone that is full sized and they all have that dryness. The 1540 to me sounds more like the 840 then the others but has a more bass heavy sound. I would say if you like the DT770, X1, 840, you will like the 1540 but if mids a big deal try the W1000x.

I used the 1540 as my EDM, Dance and pop and R&B phone but when I want buttery, warm and haunting mids the HD650 and W1000x where my babies.

Try them though you might like them!

The D5000 and 1540 were close but the D5000 where a bit more lush sounding.

May 28, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #507 of 2,681
You will have to try them yourself. I've owned every Shure headphone that is full sized and they all have that dryness. The 1540 to me sounds more like the 840 then the others but has a more bass heavy sound. I would say if you like the DT770, X1, 840, you will like the 1540 but if mids a big deal try the W1000x.

I used the 1540 as my EDM, Dance and pop and R&B phone but when I want buttery, warm and haunting mids the HD650 and W1000x where my babies.

Try them though you might like them!

The D5000 and 1540 were close but the D5000 where a bit more lush sounding.

I just want to note, it's not that the mids are "recessed", is that the mid-bass is a bit too much... this is why I call the SRH1540s "borderline" basshead cans!!
And yup, prefer my modded D5000s over the 1540s.

May 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #508 of 2,681
^Who tf is you? If anything you're the one actin' like a kid... kiddo.

Back to speaking on the topic, at hand. The SRH1540 really is a winner for most people who like a fun, slightly u-shaped sound. To those who love their forward mids... these may not be their cup of tea.

Yup. I love forwards mids. I guess these do make a wonderful mild U, but I can't stand even the slightest recession in my mids.

May 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #509 of 2,681
To me the D5000 were too bassy and bright. The D7000 is better, with more tight bass and more forward mids although with a thinner sound overall.

I prefer the sound of the X1 to the D5000. Maybe it is not as detailed and It is V-shaped too but I think it is more balanced and warmer. Also, the Denons have that house-sound that to me sounds less natural and more like a pub, club or disco (ok, ok, it's an exaggeration, just to get the idea).

I hope the 1540 to be more like the X1 than to the D5000. If it is somewhere between the HD650 and the X1 then it could be perfect.

I dont mind that the bass be above the mids as long as the mids don't sound distant. Thats the less that I like in a headphone, distant mids with tiny voices far away.

May 28, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #510 of 2,681
The fact that you own a TH900... and still own your 1540 leads me to believe these can hold their own weight for their price? :)

Yea the 1540s really confirmed what I was starting dislike about the D600s for movies and gaming. They are so comfortable to me that I doubt I will ever give them up. Now that's not to say the D600 is a slouch either. For me, the D600s got me back into closed headphones and helped me get back into EDM. I am considering selling the D600s only because I don't use them much anymore and because it would help me buy a new amp sooner. My TH900s on the otherhand are great for everything, to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back