Shure SRH1540 Review
Jan 13, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #2,431 of 2,681
I’m of the understanding that longer cables are subject to significant noise, acquired along the distance between amp and driver. Balancng is designed to remove it, as well as provide the extra headroom and, I imagine in some cases, provide for some extra dynamic range. I guess the real question is about what Shure may have done with the included SE cable for ensuring the noise acquired is not significant.

Part of why I’m here is to learn from others because I’m far from learning these types of things first hand in Newfoundland. Although, I must say I haven’t heard much in this tread about SRH1540 Head-fiers needing to lean on balanced cables. Just anecdotally noting, from what I hear from my (broken) SRH940’s, I probably won’t need to spend the extra $$ either…

… but then… this is so much fun!
I use 10 ft extension cables with my Audeze LCD-X headphones, Shure SRH-1540 headphones, and Shanling IEMs, and had detected zero added noise with any of them. I think only a VFD, a big motor, or a microwave oven, would introduce noise in most households. It is correct that balanced is preferable for long cable runs if there's added noise associated with this, but it's meant for a studio environment where there's lots of electronics around. I just don't happen to run my cables by things that would introduce much of it. Though balanced does offer you more power, I don't buy the extended dynamic range argument, unless you had been severely underpowering your headphones with the single ended configuration (like 30 mW with those headphones). If you're listening music that doesn't have a lot of low end, you won't need as much power as you would with rock or techno music. I've lived in Ontario, Alberta, California, and Texas (in that order). In all four places I had used Digikey to buy mail order electronics parts. That's probably your best bet, on the "rock". I think I have a four pin balanced headphone connector in storage from 2018, in the same box as my variable heat Weller soldering iron. I had decided not to continue making a homemade cable. I just feel that the marketing people have been overselling the benefits of balanced headphone connections (and that salesman had HiFiMan HE-1000s). I also don't use balanced patch cables (my bulk has three conductors and a foil shield, with which I could make XLRs or RCAs). The professional microphones at Guitar Center where I had gone today, all had XLR connections, because you are more likely to pick up noise in a lower voltage situation.

I'm trying to sell my SRH1540s and wish I had gotten SRH940s instead, for their resolution and foldability. Neither of them can match Audeze bass (but then again, they're less than half the price). My $500 IEMs can out-resolve even the LCD-X, but they have imaging, soundstage and timbre problems. But still, I am likely to take those on a trip.

Jan 13, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #2,432 of 2,681
The virtues of balanced are as with most things in the hifi/audiophile world, scientifically negligible but also, a night and day difference. Depending on who you ask.

In practice, balanced cables should only make sense if you're running 10s or 100s of feet of cables in a studio, or if the amp you're using is designed around its balanced outputs. Balanced isn't inherently better unless it's designed to be. Sure, most of (but not all of) the time balanced will output more power, but then again, power is just yet another one of these things that fall in the same category...

I saw a chap yesterday on a thread saying that an amp which output 1.5W at 16Ohm might be overkill for iems. 1.5 watts, for iems. 100mw is overkill for most iems! My 1540s are the hardest to drive headphones of the bunch, which isn't saying much as they're still not hard to drive headphones, and even on a lowly (power-wise) Lotoo PAW S1 which outputs 70mw on single ended I rarely, if ever, need to go above 55 (out of 100) on high gain.

As with my use case I don't need, or have any desire, for balanced. But, there's no reason you can't explore it if it's something you're interested in doing so - it's the same with all cables really, if someone takes enjoyment from experimenting with diamond plated USB cables and feels that it adds new depth to their system then who am I to rain on their parade, live and let live. You just shouldn't feel compelled that you either have to go balanced or go home.

Edit: Started typing on the last page so totally missed dan's reply! At least our thoughts on the matter match heh.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #2,433 of 2,681
I’m of the understanding that longer cables are subject to significant noise, acquired along the distance between amp and driver. Balancng is designed to remove it, as well as provide the extra headroom and, I imagine in some cases, provide for some extra dynamic range. I guess the real question is about what Shure may have done with the included SE cable for ensuring the noise acquired is not significant.

Part of why I’m here is to learn from others because I’m far from learning these types of things first hand in Newfoundland. Although, I must say I haven’t heard much in this tread about SRH1540 Head-fiers needing to lean on balanced cables. Just anecdotally noting, from what I hear from my (broken) SRH940’s, I probably won’t need to spend the extra $$ either…

… but then… this is so much fun!
It depends on the DAP. I use them single ended from the Lotoo Paw Gold.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #2,434 of 2,681
Theoretically balanced and single-ended should be sonically identical. The main reason they're not is because when an amp has both SE and balanced outputs, they'll be using different circuitry by necessity. So if you hear a difference, it's the different amplification circuits, not the different connections themselves.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,435 of 2,681
Received my SRH1450 headphones today—7 days early!! (Intelcom Courier in Canada).

I’ve only listened to them for a couple of hours, but…

I have to say, calling the bottom end warm is certainly an understatement. It’s only about 2db above my usual lite ing level, but unfortunately I’m not able to control the eq for my dongle DAC/Amp. I’ll let you know later if I find it unacceptable…

The included cable has to go—too rigid, easily kinked, and will be a mess in bed. I’m definitely too used to the SRH940 coiled cable. As of now, I haven’t found a replacement.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #2,436 of 2,681
Received my SRH1450 headphones today—7 days early!! (Intelcom Courier in Canada).

I have to say, calling the bottom end warm is certainly an understatement. It’s only about 2db above my usual lite ing level, but unfortunately I’m not able to control the eq for my dongle DAC/Amp. I’ll let you know later if I find it unacceptable…

The included cable has to go—too rigid, easily kinked, and will be a mess in bed. I’m definitely too used to the SRH940 coiled cable. As of now, I haven’t found a replacement.
Lqi Cables. Tangle free.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,437 of 2,681

Embrace the warmth. Consider it a balmy summer holiday to the cold wintery mornings of the SRH940.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #2,438 of 2,681
My LPG tames the warmth.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #2,439 of 2,681
Embrace the warmth. Consider it a balmy summer holiday to the cold wintery mornings of the SRH940.
I have to say… the marriage of the SRH1540 with the unique R-2R DAC, including the unique volume control within the Cayin RU6 DAC/Amp, is making a low volume listener out of me. It’s in contrast to our family room theatre (Denon/Paradigm/Polk Audio) for which instrumental nuance and definition are not revealed noticeably until my wife tells me to turn it down…

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #2,440 of 2,681
I have to say… the marriage of the SRH1540 with the unique R-2R DAC, including the unique volume control within the Cayin RU6 DAC/Amp, is making a low volume listener out of me. It’s in contrast to our family room theatre (Denon/Paradigm/Polk Audio) for which instrumental nuance and definition are not revealed noticeably until my wife tells me to turn it down…
The SRH1540 headphones are good for your hearing. I also listen at low volumes out of my Sony.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #2,442 of 2,681
Could you measure width of driver housing on 840a? I have old pair of 840s that have broken headband and new one would be 50€ quoted by Shure. No point in spending that much on headband that is definitely gonna fail again anyway, but the headband on 840a looks much nicer and sturdier. It might be worth it to buy that one instead if it would fit (which it should as the main housings seem to be pretty much same from photos).
Yeah I'll measure them and report back!

Jan 15, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #2,443 of 2,681
Could you measure width of driver housing on 840a? I have old pair of 840s that have broken headband and new one would be 50€ quoted by Shure. No point in spending that much on headband that is definitely gonna fail again anyway, but the headband on 840a looks much nicer and sturdier. It might be worth it to buy that one instead if it would fit (which it should as the main housings seem to be pretty much same from photos).
Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_123553.jpg
    IMG_20220115_123553.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #2,444 of 2,681
I believe you mentioned covering your SRH1540’s split headband with something you had found on Amazon(?) I don’t want to put any squeeze on the rails as they are—how did you determine the proper wrap-around width? Did you end up with the zippered type or snaps? Do you still have a link to your Avalon purchase? TIA :)

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #2,445 of 2,681
I believe you mentioned covering your SRH1540’s split headband with something you had found on Amazon(?) I don’t want to put any squeeze on the rails as they are—how did you determine the proper wrap-around width? Did you end up with the zippered type or snaps? Do you still have a link to your Avalon purchase? TIA :)
Here is the headband padding I use. I haven't seen it without ear pads...goes on ziploc style.

1028191017c_HDR.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Replacement-Headband-HD280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B07M8NYSD1/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=2H9360TXUWG47&keywords=hd280+pro+replacement+pads&qid=1643124778&sprefix=hd28,aps,180&sr=8-3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back