Shure SRH1540 Review
Jan 9, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #2,402 of 2,679
Looks like Shure has revamped the 840. If it was just the build that put you off them before, it looks much improved now.

@crewcut beat me to it!

I've had my 1540 for ~5 years and have had no trouble with the stock cable losing connection at the cups. @Quadfather uses these as his main set day in, day out. I don't think he's had any issues with his set either, although he does use an lqi aftermarket one.
Five years zero issues. I usually leave my Lqi balanced cables attached. I don't remove them.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,403 of 2,679
Five years zero issues. I usually leave my Lqi balanced cables attached. I don't remove them.
I'm actually selling my lqi 4'4mm balanced cables for the Shure 1540!

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,405 of 2,679
I had my 1540s on this morning running them from a Lotoo PAW S1 while bumbling around the house and still enjoy them a lot. However, going to them straight, or soon, after a session with either my SE846 or Fostex TH900 does make me wish Shure went ahead and produced a higher end version with better resolving capabilities. Back to back the difference is pretty noticeable.

I mean they're clearly not inherently adverse to putting out models that transverse the line between the pro and audiophile segments, as seen within their iem line up. Alas, I gave up waiting for this towards the tail end of last year and went for the TH900. They're the only company I can think of that is well regarded in the headphone world that haven't come out have what could be considered (in the headfi realm) TOTL over-ears - both open and closed.

It's been evidently demonstrated for a while now that there's an appetite for these headphones, even in their primary target audience, the pro market. Who knows, maybe they are quietly working away on something in the background...

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #2,406 of 2,679
I had my 1540s on this morning running them from a Lotoo PAW S1 while bumbling around the house and still enjoy them a lot. However, going to them straight, or soon, after a session with either my SE846 or Fostex TH900 does make me wish Shure went ahead and produced a higher end version with better resolving capabilities. Back to back the difference is pretty noticeable.

I mean they're clearly not inherently adverse to putting out models that transverse the line between the pro and audiophile segments, as seen within their iem line up. Alas, I gave up waiting for this towards the tail end of last year and went for the TH900. They're the only company I can think of that is well regarded in the headphone world that haven't come out have what could be considered (in the headfi realm) TOTL over-ears - both open and closed.

It's been evidently demonstrated for a while now that there's an appetite for these headphones, even in their primary target audience, the pro market. Who knows, maybe they are quietly working away on something in the background...
I wish you could hear them from my Sony NW-WM1Z.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #2,407 of 2,679
I'm sure that can be arranged. I'll PM you my address :wink:

From memory, you've had (or still have?) quite a few summit-fi cans. Did you never find yourself wishing for a slight bump in clarity and resolution in the 1540s when comparing them? I'm by no means equating a higher technical ability with enjoyment, but for me, personally, I find the improved resolution adds to the sensation of realism i.e. not listening through headphones, but rather listening to a live performance.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,408 of 2,679
has anyone tried these vs 840 and 440? crin ranks all of them high... IU have taken the good deals I have seen mostly because the way they look, lol no hate, but I also don't know which one I would like the most

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #2,409 of 2,679
Curious as to why… little improvement?
I jumped into the high end hp train and I had two balanced cables for the Shure's so...

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #2,411 of 2,679
Looks like Shure has revamped the 840. If it was just the build that put you off them before, it looks much improved now.

@crewcut beat me to it!

I've had my 1540 for ~5 years and have had no trouble with the stock cable losing connection at the cups. @Quadfather uses these as his main set day in, day out. I don't think he's had any issues with his set either, although he does use an lqi aftermarket one.
Hmm OK that's good to know. I've had issues with these day one and I don't use them as a daily listener. I use them to comb through a mix to find thing I normally would hear on my monitors and for tracking vocals. Hopefully Shure will run into the issue and take care of. It's still under warranty.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2,413 of 2,679
I jumped into the high end hp train and I had two balanced cables for the Shure's so...
I’m just curious as to the value of balancing the input to the 1540’s. That is, I believe it’ll actually be detrimental in my situation because it would double the current draw for my Cayin U6 DAC/Amp from my connected iPhone. It could be already causing dropouts when asking trying to push my SRH940’s to higher volumes. My present situation is my iPhone providing enough current to push 42ohm headphones, when my 1540’s will be asking it to push similar current into 46ohms.

I’d sure hate to give up this lovely DAC to a lesser quality one just because it’s independently powered. And, I’d love to be able to keep the 1540’s because I love the Shure sound. But my 940’s are falling apart, even while they sound great. I’ll report back if the dropouts become that much worse with the 1540’s…

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,414 of 2,679
I’m just curious as to the value of balancing the input to the 1540’s. That is, I believe it’ll actually be detrimental in my situation because it would double the current draw for my Cayin U6 DAC/Amp from my connected iPhone. It could be already causing dropouts when asking trying to push my SRH940’s to higher volumes. My present situation is my iPhone providing enough current to push 42ohm headphones, when my 1540’s will be asking it to push similar current into 46ohms.

I’d sure hate to give up this lovely DAC to a lesser quality one just because it’s independently powered. And, I’d love to be able to keep the 1540’s because I love the Shure sound. But my 940’s are falling apart, even while they sound great. I’ll report back if the dropouts become that much worse with the 1540’s…
They must be source dependent. I have always loved them single ended from LPG and balanced from Sony NW-WM1Z.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back