Shure SRH1540 Review
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,026 of 2,679
On my third try with these headphones. The first two with only stock pads so I couldn't get past the same impression Tyll had of a little too much high end and lacking low sub bass. After extensive and horrific bending of the bands (nearly unbreakable) I got them to fit on my large head, with just the right angle and clamp. Their stock pads were still a little small in the opening. I have oily skin so the alcantara over time can absorb too much of it so I needed a solution. I wonder if anyone else here has put the SRH840 pads on them before?

They fit with larger ear openings and better to reach my distant ears, and can be wiped clean. Being a bit thinner the ears are closer to the driver while the pleather/leather whatever makes for a slightly better seal. Ears will get a bit warmer faster. Still not the most noise isolating but adequate. Those slightly tame the highs without making them dull or lack detail. High mids and mids are just right, and fully represented now. Their light mid bass bump is still there or slightly lower, and the sub bass is just slightly more extended and not boomy.

UPDATE: I put the stock pads back on after gently stretching them a bit. They just make it to where my ears are not touching the sides. I notice the warmer sound with fuller bass and less aggressive highs is still there. I put those other pads on right after a very long burn in with bass heavy stuff. I believe the warming was from the burn in, and not so much the pads, as I like they way the sound stock. They still lean toward having good high mid and high end detail, the mids seem less recessed and they are a trustworthy sonic reference.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #2,027 of 2,679
Another update. Stock pads, after burn in, have all the bass you need. You can't do better otherwise. Mids are realistic but while the highs in general are accurate, there are still some narrow peaks giving them a sound that does not liked to be turned up to even moderate levels for long, if you're treble sensitive. The 820 pads went on and then off, they actually lose a bit of sub bass, and those really don't fit in a way where they sit or isolate well. I remember years ago trying Brainwavz HM5 and similar ear pads on other cans, and finding the NVX XRE100S ($20 on eBay) were favorites if keeping more bass, and comfort mattered. They are a bit softer, and just feel better and have a more leather feel (still protein leather). So I put them on these. The extra ear space gives comfort for those wanting it, it helps them reach a bit farther down where I can wear these without 100% extension of the cups and reach fine. They breathe less so they can get a bit warmer in time, but you'd expect that. They seal very well, isolating good or better than stock (which seal well, though some say they leak a bit, I more focus on passive isolation of the outside world vs what they may hear).

Soundstage is better. Wider and taller yet just as natural, which is not an easy task. Sound is fun, without hype, and more accurate. Mid bass was similar, the sub bass a bit more rolled off vs. stock. Extension into subs is still there down past 20 hz. I'm a bit of a bass head, these still do enough. In exchange bass is detailed and not fatiguing. Midrange is the place the help the most. It was good before, but it seems even better now. More flat and accurate. High treble is slightly less in quantity, but still very detailed, and higher in quality. What is kind of scratchy sounding (those peaks) in the stock pads is gone. You can turn it up now (though I do this rarely, protect your ears), without any sibilance. Incredibly non fatiguing yet clear. Compared my former favorite reasonably priced closed back (Sony MDR-1A, with Meze 99 pads) and they are more 'U' shaped to near fatigue, compared to these now. I can't recall a better matching of 3rd party ear pads; truly reference cans now. They could even compete with the Sennheiser HD820, from what I remember of those. They also look good, not that it matters, and are easier to keep clean. Low quality phone pictures follow this below.

upload_2018-11-4_0-56-6.png

upload_2018-11-4_0-57-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_0-56-26.png
    upload_2018-11-4_0-56-26.png
    652.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #2,029 of 2,679
I'm wondering when a successor to the SRH1540 will hit the stage.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,031 of 2,679
I have the Sony MDR-1AM2 and have tried dozens of other headphones but nothing except this Shure catches my ears. Can a DAP like the Sony ZX300 drives this 1540 to its potential though?

On my third try with these headphones. The first two with only stock pads so I couldn't get past the same impression Tyll had of a little too much high end and lacking low sub bass. After extensive and horrific bending of the bands (nearly unbreakable) I got them to fit on my large head, with just the right angle and clamp. Their stock pads were still a little small in the opening. I have oily skin so the alcantara over time can absorb too much of it so I needed a solution. I wonder if anyone else here has put the SRH840 pads on them before?

They fit with larger ear openings and better to reach my distant ears, and can be wiped clean. Being a bit thinner the ears are closer to the driver while the pleather/leather whatever makes for a slightly better seal. Ears will get a bit warmer faster. Still not the most noise isolating but adequate. Those slightly tame the highs without making them dull or lack detail. High mids and mids are just right, and fully represented now. Their light mid bass bump is still there or slightly lower, and the sub bass is just slightly more extended and not boomy.

UPDATE: I put the stock pads back on after gently stretching them a bit. They just make it to where my ears are not touching the sides. I notice the warmer sound with fuller bass and less aggressive highs is still there. I put those other pads on right after a very long burn in with bass heavy stuff. I believe the warming was from the burn in, and not so much the pads, as I like they way the sound stock. They still lean toward having good high mid and high end detail, the mids seem less recessed and they are a trustworthy sonic reference.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,032 of 2,679
I have the Sony MDR-1AM2 and have tried dozens of other headphones but nothing except this Shure catches my ears. Can a DAP like the Sony ZX300 drives this 1540 to its potential though?

I think so. It's remarkably good right out of my iPhone 5S. I did hear a small step up plugged into my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 headphone amps (some of the cleanest I've heard) but much. It's pretty versatile. Considered the MDR-1AM2 but I hear it's got a bit more treble. Part of why I'm selling the MDR-1A is a bit more treble than I'd like with the Meze Pads (that are a necessity, stock pads are too small, and it helped the sonics overall with the Meze but they and every other more spacious pad brings out the treble more). It's remarkable what the NVX pads did to tame the Shure treble to where I like it in quantity.

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #2,033 of 2,679
Thanks. Are those NVX XRE100S or a Brainwavz HM5 variant? I see you have some pad on the underside of the headband as well?

They're the sheepskin leather HM5 pads, and the foam is from a replacement Beyer headband that didn't quite fit so I cut it out and attached it using velcro (pictured with tape in that older pic). You can see my thoughts on the sheepskin pads here.

Nov 6, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #2,034 of 2,679
They're the sheepskin leather HM5 pads, and the foam is from a replacement Beyer headband that didn't quite fit so I cut it out and attached it using velcro (pictured with tape in that older pic). You can see my thoughts on the sheepskin pads here.

The “here” link went to a dead Amazon “sorry” page.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2,036 of 2,679
Maybe it only works for us based in the UK, I'll just copy my text below:

"There's not much more that I can add to describe the excellence of these pads that hasn't been said previously; they are super comfy. Even compared to my Shure SRH1540's stock Alcantara pads which are universally praised for their comfort, these are just as nice, and I prefer them because of the extra depth with the thicker memory padding inside.

If you're a fellow 1540 owner, be aware that these pads do change the sound, but for the better. Bass is more controlled with better impact and as a result the rest of the sound becomes more engaging."

Those thoughts are still pertinent today - I'm actually wearing them right now at the office!

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #2,037 of 2,679
Cool. Thanks for the info. These NVX pads aren't sheepskin, but there is something more legit leather feeling about them, and they look similar. They are a touch thinner, I find when I'd compared them to comparable HM5 pads they felt and sounded better. A great alternative perhaps for some who may not want to pay extra for sheep skin, they were only $20 on eBay.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,038 of 2,679
I think so. It's remarkably good right out of my iPhone 5S. I did hear a small step up plugged into my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 headphone amps (some of the cleanest I've heard) but much. It's pretty versatile. Considered the MDR-1AM2 but I hear it's got a bit more treble. Part of why I'm selling the MDR-1A is a bit more treble than I'd like with the Meze Pads (that are a necessity, stock pads are too small, and it helped the sonics overall with the Meze but they and every other more spacious pad brings out the treble more). It's remarkable what the NVX pads did to tame the Shure treble to where I like it in quantity.

Tried dozens of headphones and IEMs today. Only like the Meze Neo 99. So far I only like my Sony 1AM2, Shure 1540, and Meze 99. The only thing bothering is to get balanced cables for the Shure or Meze. Wondering if a balanced cable will make the sound signficantly better.

Nov 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #2,039 of 2,679
Tried dozens of headphones and IEMs today. Only like the Meze Neo 99. So far I only like my Sony 1AM2, Shure 1540, and Meze 99. The only thing bothering is to get balanced cables for the Shure or Meze. Wondering if a balanced cable will make the sound signficantly better.
Balanced Cable will add more power and will clean up some noise... but it won't change sound drastically... About cable itself, I wasn't able to find any for a reasonable price... So my solution is to buy Neutric NC4MX connector and solder it from TRS to Balance. Anyway, we have extra TRS cable in the package.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,040 of 2,679
Balanced Cable will add more power and will clean up some noise... but it won't change sound drastically... About cable itself, I wasn't able to find any for a reasonable price... So my solution is to buy Neutric NC4MX connector and solder it from TRS to Balance. Anyway, we have extra TRS cable in the package.

Many cables cost as much as headphones and it sounds counter inituitve to me. Cant stop wonder if these cable biz has one of the highest margin after gasoline and diamond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back