Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #151 of 2,683
I've read the HD650 has more of a n-shaped sound... which is far from what these offer. These are only slightly u-shaped... but to me they are more like a hill that evens out towards the mids and highs.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #152 of 2,683
I've read the HD650 has more of a n-shaped sound... which is far from what these offer. These are only slightly u-shaped... but to me they are more like a hill that evens out towards the mids and highs.

Thanks Change. Yeah, a closed HD 650 comparison just didn't sound right at all considering how people have been describing their impressions in this thread. I know I'm going to be treading lightly with this one and I'm hoping for pleasantly surprised, but I'm ready for disappointment if it happens.

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #153 of 2,683
  Thanks Change. Yeah, a closed HD 650 comparison just didn't sound right at all considering how people have been describing their impressions in this thread. I know I'm going to be treading lightly with this one and I'm hoping for pleasantly surprised, but I'm ready for disappointment if it happens.

Be sure to let me know how you like them...

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #154 of 2,683
  Hmm. The HD 650 is extremely dark. Are you saying the SRH1540 is extremely dark as well? That would go against what I've read in the past and really make me think twice about grabbing this can. Dark is not a signature I'm interested in.

The 1540 is by no means dark in my book.  My comment, as I stated, was from a high level and not a detailed one there was no A/B'ing involved :).  I love my 1540s even more than my HD650s (so far), I feel I can use them for any application and still be very satisfied with them.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #155 of 2,683
  The 1540 is by no means dark in my book.  My comment, as I stated, was from a high level and not a detailed one there was no A/B'ing involved :).  I love my 1540s even more than my HD650s (so far), I feel I can use them for any application and still be very satisfied with them.

No problem. I'm just trying to understand your comments. Other than the inherent difference between open vs close, you do think the signatures are similar?

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #156 of 2,683
  No problem. I'm just trying to understand your comments. Other than the inherent difference between open vs close, you do think the signatures are similar?

Yea I feel the sound signature is similar from a high level (meaning a non-detailed level) but I haven't gone into anymore detail and A/B'd them to each other.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #157 of 2,683
  Yea I feel the sound signature is similar from a high level (meaning a non-detailed level) but I haven't gone into anymore detail and A/B'd them to each other.

So does the treble roll off pretty dramatically?

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #158 of 2,683
  So does the treble roll off pretty dramatically?

I haven't noticed any and I didn't see any in the frequency graph either.  Here's the graphs for the 1540 in case you haven't seen them:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #159 of 2,683
  I haven't noticed any and I didn't see any in the frequency graph either.  Here's the graphs for the 1540 in case you haven't seen them:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

So if that's not the case, why are you saying that they sound similar to the HD650's (from a high level)? I don't mean this to attack you, I'm just curious.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #160 of 2,683
  So if that's not the case, why are you saying that they sound similar to the HD650's (from a high level)? I don't mean this to attack you, I'm just curious.

During my first listen (about a half hour into listening to these, for the first time), which was when I reviewed these, that was the best way I could describe them.  It seems some people read past the part where I mentioned the following:
-"after listening to these for about a half hour, the best way I can describe them is..."
-"I haven't done any A/B'ing between the two to verify this nor do I care to at the moment so I'm just going just going from memory"
-"I do not have "Golden Ears""
-"Before anyone rips me apart for that comment please realize this that I'm making this comment from a high level."

I think that my comment about the 1540s being the person child of the HD650s and D600s might be more accurate though.  It's all good though I had a lot of fun reviewing them and I hope some of that was helpful to you all.  I can't wait to get home and listen to them some more!!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #161 of 2,683
No worries, Byrnie. Hope you don't think I'm giving you crap over it. The only reason I jumped on your comment is because of the HD 650 is notoriously known for being very dark. That's not a bad or a good thing. Just a very defining thing about that can, but something that I'm hoping to avoid with the SRH1540.

Feb 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #162 of 2,683
No worries, Byrnie. Hope you don't think I'm giving you crap over it. The only reason I jumped on your comment is because of the HD 650 is notoriously known for being very dark. That's not a bad or a good thing. Just a very defining thing about that can, but something that I'm hoping to avoid with the SRH1540.

Oh no i didn't think you were giving me crap. I was making last comment in laughing manner. Your question was valid and I probably would have asked the same thing. Oh I can't wait watch the latest episode of Walking Dead and True Detective on these bad boys!

**Fixed some of my fail grammar**

Feb 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #163 of 2,683
The Shure drops 19 dB fro 50 Hz to 4000 Hz the goes up again by 5 to 10 dB (cannel depending) whereas the HD 650 only drops 15 dB from 1000 Hz to 5000 Hz to rise ~ 9 dB @ 10.000 Hz. I assume the Shure sounds much warmer and probably also veiled like the HD 650. For me the Shure is a HD 650 with a lot more bass. mids and treblebe should be equal. I had the HD 650 for some time. It was a good listen, the treble was never piercing and if the Shure is similar it is not bad at all.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #164 of 2,683
1540 didnt come across as a dark can during my audition... not a bright can either...not veiled for sure. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #165 of 2,683
  1540 didnt come across as a dark can during my audition... not a bright can either...not veiled for sure. 

Yea I didn't get a dark or veiled impression from them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back