Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #136 of 2,683
I find his criteria quite disarming...
Soaring highs, involving mids...deep bass...
Now which can has that at an accessible price?
Despite the number of cans being churned out these days...
I find myself scratching my head...amidst trying to catch up with them.

The Mikros 90 seems like an almost there candidate, but needs some v minor modding.
It's got soaring clear highs...entrancing mids.. Deep soundstage..Textured low bass...for 90 bucks..
In a small on ear format. Maxxx managed to open up the bass quantity further thru a simple mod.

The shure1540 may not have the most involving mids, but maybe a tube amp..on high gain might improve it..just thinking.
Dakanao is just feeling the heat of a buying mood, n wanting ..hoping somehow to squeeze out an answer, torturous :pFUN!

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #137 of 2,683
I'm a self claimed neutral/mid head, and I approve of SRH1540's mids. If anyone worries that they are distant or recessed, let me assure you that it's not. But if you want "forward" mids, I'm not so certain about SRH1540.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #138 of 2,683
Its like your expecting us to detach your head and place it on our shoulders... just to make the choice for you. Maybe 50-100 years from now, that will be possible.

Conservative estimate. I say 15 years, tops. :)

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #139 of 2,683
You are making this quite fatiguing on us. You keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Please stop with the constant nagging about if its "bassy enough" and are the mids "too distant" for your taste. No one can make these assumptions about whether this is the right headphone for you... but you... no one else. We can only give you suggestions... nothing more.

Its like your expecting us to detach your head and place it on our shoulders... just to make the choice for you. Maybe 50-100 years from now, that will be possible. Until then, you need to rely on your gut instinct.

Conservative estimate. I say 15 years, tops.
smily_headphones1.gif

So...you're telling me...Futurama really is ALL fiction? 

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #140 of 2,683
Are there replacable pads for these Shures, which would increase the isolation?

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #141 of 2,683
The pads for the 1840 fit the 1540s so you could buy the pads. The pads on the 1840 aren't perforated so it should help some with isolation but i haven't tried it. Maybe kimvictor has?

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #142 of 2,683
The pads for the 1840 fit the 1540s so you could buy the pads. The pads on the 1840 aren't perforated so it should help some with isolation but i haven't tried it. Maybe kimvictor has?

I've tried the velour pads on SRH1540. I forgot how the isolation was. I remember that it made the sound more balanced. I'll try tonight and report back.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #143 of 2,683
  Are there replacable pads for these Shures, which would increase the isolation?

Shure's velour pads or pleather. I highly recommend velour, as it's more comfy. But pleather isolates more. Oh, I've seen some people use alpha pads too.

All of shure's headphone have same pad size, so all of them are interchangeable.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #144 of 2,683
I performed some pads swapping on the Ultrasone PRO 550/900/2900. All have the same mounting system. But all alter the sound immensly. The deepest velour pads (PRO 900) produced the biggest but wobbly bass on all three cans. The pleather pads (PRO 550) kinda swallowed this overpowered bass to neutral. The less deep velour pads (PRO 2900) had the best slightly elevated bass quality. The treble was also strongly affected.
Bottom line:
Different pads will better or worsen a headphone by a high degree.

Feb 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #145 of 2,683
So I just got my 1540 (yay FedEx...) and after listening to these for about a half hour, the best way I can describe them is if the HD650s and D600s had a baby and that's the 1540s :D.  A better more proper description would be they sound like a closed version of the HD-650s (I haven't done any A/B'ing between the two to verify this nor do I care to at the moment so I'm just going just going from memory), what I mean is these are like a pair of HD-650s with more low end emphasis (I do not have "Golden Ears").  Before anyone rips me apart for that comment please realize this that I'm making this comment from a high level.  I like them a lot and I feel I can listen to these with any genre (I think kimvictor might have said something similar in his review).  These are some of the tracks I've listened to so far:

Skrillex - The Devil's Den
Skrillex - Bangarang (I like the high note guitar in the begining)
Crossfade - Breathing Slowly [Acoustic]
Vitamin String Quartet - Enya Tribute - Boadicea
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home
Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child
Kottonmouth Kings - Bump (This is a dumb song from my youth but I still like testing headphones on it for the bass beats)
Offspring - A Lot Like Me (I like the beginning of this song for headphone testing)
Hell or Highwater - Tragedy (Great for male vocals)
2 Pac - Changes (Hey it's not a headphone review without some TuPac)
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us
Daddy Yankee - Rompe (Man this sounds so damn good on these headphones)
Far Too Loud - Faster than Light
Knife Party - Destroy Them with Lazers
Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane (Acoustic)
Emery - Holding Out For a Hero

The bass doesn't hit as hard as my Denon D600 but the D600's really punch hard, in fact they rock your skull.  The 1540's don't hit too hard to me, in fact they hit hard enough.

TLDR: I'm really enjoying these for all music genres.  It's like the baby of the D600's and HD650's :D

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #147 of 2,683
Another way to describe it is it's a more neutral version of the D600's.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #148 of 2,683
  So I just got my 1540 (yay FedEx...) and after listening to these for about a half hour, the best way I can describe them is if the HD650s and D600s had a baby and that's the 1540s :D.  A better more proper description would be they sound like a closed version of the HD-650s (I haven't done any A/B'ing between the two to verify this nor do I care to at the moment so I'm just going just going from memory), what I mean is these are like a pair of HD-650s with more low end emphasis (I do not have "Golden Ears").  Before anyone rips me apart for that comment please realize this that I'm making this comment from a high level.  I like them a lot and I feel I can listen to these with any genre (I think kimvictor might have said something similar in his review).  These are some of the tracks I've listened to so far:

Skrillex - The Devil's Den
Skrillex - Bangarang (I like the high note guitar in the begining)
Crossfade - Breathing Slowly [Acoustic]
Vitamin String Quartet - Enya Tribute - Boadicea
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home
Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child
Kottonmouth Kings - Bump (This is a dumb song from my youth but I still like testing headphones on it for the bass beats)
Offspring - A Lot Like Me (I like the beginning of this song for headphone testing)
Hell or Highwater - Tragedy (Great for male vocals)
2 Pac - Changes (Hey it's not a headphone review without some TuPac)
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Can't Hold Us
Daddy Yankee - Rompe (Man this sounds so damn good on these headphones)
Far Too Loud - Faster than Light
Knife Party - Destroy Them with Lazers
Breaking Benjamin - The Diary of Jane (Acoustic)
Emery - Holding Out For a Hero

The bass doesn't hit as hard as my Denon D600 but the D600's really punch hard, in fact they rock your skull.  The 1540's don't hit too hard to me, in fact they hit hard enough.

TLDR: I'm really enjoying these for all music genres.  It's like the baby of the D600's and HD650's :D

This is very good to hear!

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #149 of 2,683

How's the subbass on the Shures compared to the Denons?
From brief listening I remember that the D6000 have a powerful midbass, but lacking a bit in the subbass.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #150 of 2,683
  So I just got my 1540 (yay FedEx...) and after listening to these for about a half hour, the best way I can describe them is if the HD650s and D600s had a baby and that's the 1540s :D.  A better more proper description would be they sound like a closed version of the HD-650s (I haven't done any A/B'ing between the two to verify this nor do I care to at the moment so I'm just going just going from memory), what I mean is these are like a pair of HD-650s with more low end emphasis (I do not have "Golden Ears").  Before anyone rips me apart for that comment please realize this that I'm making this comment from a high level.  I like them a lot and I feel I can listen to these with any genre (I think kimvictor might have said something similar in his review).

Hmm. The HD 650 is extremely dark. Are you saying the SRH1540 is extremely dark as well? That would go against what I've read in the past and really make me think twice about grabbing this can. Dark is not a signature I'm interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back