Shure SE846 with Ipod Classic?
Feb 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BeHappy

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I use Shure SE530 for many years with a 6th generation Ipod Classic (160GB), and after reading all the great feedback about the SE 846, I'm very excited and thinking of upgrading to the 846.

My question is - while using the ipod classic - what should I expect?
Will the difference between the se530 and the se846 still be so profound?
(Due to impedance issues etc.) - I'm wondering if all the good stuff that I read about the SE846 will be relevant in my case...

Does anyone have an experience with it, or thoughts to share?

(I Listen to Blues, Jazz, Led-zeppelin etc. and alternative rock - mostly in Mp3 128kbps or AAC)

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 22
Shure 530/535 aren't even better than the chord and major rock IMO
846 sounds significantly more refined
Ipod classic has terrible amping potential in my experience

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 22
The greatest improvement will come from the change in your IEMs. So if you get the SE846, you should be able to hear significant improvements. That said, given that your music is mainly encoded at 128kbps or AAC, my suggestion will be to upgrade your files to at least 320kbps to draw out the greatest potential of your 846.

Some people might suggest that you change all your music to FLAC, but it takes up more space than the MP3 files. So you might want to take a few of your favourite tracks and rip them in a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC. If you can't tell the difference between these two, then go with the 320kbps. You can save a lot on space and potentially carry your entire library everywhere you go.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks a lot for the info, coulld youplease advice - Should I install Rocbox in addition?

And - do you have an experience regarding the impaedance of the ipod classic with the SE846 ?

Feb 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 22
  Thanks a lot for the info, coulld youplease advice - Should I install Rocbox in addition?

And - do you have an experience regarding the impaedance of the ipod classic with the SE846 ?

Use no less than 320kbps files (FLAC if you can) and start researching Colorfly C3 audiophile player for $100 to replace the iPod, even if you stick with SE530 replace the iPod. C3 not only performs better than any Cowon, Apple or Sansa player (any mainstream player I have heard) on the market, it has very low output impedance that won't effect SH846 if you decide to upgrade. When I say research C3 I mean start reading about it, as the user interface is not for everyone, however the sound that player puts out for $100 is hard to beat in the price range. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 22
So this threads gone from a member asking if the output impedance on his iPod classic is going to effect SE846 to recommending him an AK120 unit. 

This is exactly what Head-fi shouldn't be.....

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 22
Hahah..I think OP should let his ears decide for himself if he wishes to go that route. Buying a new DAP has got it's perks, but if he is happy with letting iTunes manage all his music, then let it be.

For now, since he's looking to upgrade his IEM, let's all keep to it. Back to topic then, i think the main difference between the 535 and 846 lies in the bass. 846 has more sub bass than than the 535, I would not say that it is a basshead IEM, just better, punchier bass response. As for the impedance of the iPod, i think this information was posted somewhere. IIRC it should be < 1ohm.

To use the Line out from the dock will mean to get an amp. It represents a thicker stack and more money to be spent so i'll leave it to you to decide if you want to get an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back