Shure SE846 replacement / upgrade?
Jul 13, 2021 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fly Boy

New Head-Fier
My Shure SE846’s no longer work due to the left one literally coming apart. I managed to stuff everything back in and glue it but now a year later it just does not sound right so I am looking for a replacement.

I am strongly thinking about purchasing the iBasso DX300 to pair with the new headphones as well.

Things that I need in my headphones:
  • I travel a lot so I need good to better passive noise protection.
  • I will also on occasion sleep with them as I am a day sleeper at times.
  • Excelent build quality is a must! My 846’s came apart a couple months shy of 4 years.
  • Sound quality needs to be at least at the 846’s level or above. I listen to a bit of everything but metal is my favorite.
  • $3000 or so is the limit on budget. Would prefer below this.
  • Be able to work out in them (not a must but would be a nice to have).

The 64 Audio Fourté connection looks like a week point which made me question the durability of their entire line along with their port only having a -20db rating. Ultimate Ears Live, 11 or 18 is what I am gravitating to at the moment for their better db rating and connection system that is built for movement and sweat.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 2
If you're looking for a similar sized IEM, the Maze Rai Penta is terrific and steps above the Shure 846. I listened to it quite a bit back in 2019 at a couple of CanJams and thought it would be very good for travel, moving about and sleeping in them. The ergonomics for listening while on the go would be terrific, combined with some quality foam tips and there's pretty good sound isolation suitable to travel, exercising, etc. And they are quite a bit below your budget at $1100. Check them out at either Audio46 ( https://audio46.com/products/meze-rai-penta ) or Bloom Audio ( https://bloomaudio.com/collections/...udio-rai-penta-dynamic-balanced-armature-iems )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back