Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #5,341 of 22,945
Welcome to the dark side Monty - we have cookies.  Balanced is better...for those who care to know.  I have been saying the difference is profound (25%+) range.  I am curious what you observed.  

People upgraded single ended cables and it is a micro step compared to balanced.  I am convinced that if folks check it out the chorus will grow to a deafening roar.  

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #5,342 of 22,945

Labkable is the brand and it is made in Hong Kong. I was face to face with the maker and he is kind enough to allow me to demo everything in the store.

Yeah I was looking this cable that day in their Web, oh my my my look at the price~~ Are you currently using this cable?

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,344 of 22,945
Nice, however in the SE846's case, these are universal IEM's so saying these are customs obviously wouldn't apply.

Now, back to paddle boarding in the canals of Seal Beach...

That is some real sexy foot!!!

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5,345 of 22,945
That is some real sexy foot!!!

Uhh...thanks? LOL. I didn't want to post any other 'much better' photos, y'all will just have to imagine what I saw (incognito with the Oakley sunglasses of course).

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #5,348 of 22,945
  Welcome to the dark side Monty - we have cookies.  Balanced is better...for those who care to know.  I have been saying the difference is profound (25%+) range.  I am curious what you observed.  

People upgraded single ended cables and it is a micro step compared to balanced.  I am convinced that if folks check it out the chorus will grow to a deafening roar.  

I will post my thoughts tomorrow when I am more awake. One big thing I observed is the music was both inside my head AND at some distance as well. A bit more forward but wider and in two places at once. Out side my head which is a trick and inside the way the SCS seem to link the sound to my synapses. Steely Dan RUSH of Course Pink Floyd have an added air of excitement. I chose the Pink Floyd as I knew it was Spook's Favorite Oh a a  smattering of Paul Simon as my Prog Rock
wink.gif
 (Who say what you will sounds great through a Balanced Amp.)

As to my thoughts on Amps and connector cables and a fully functioning "Jacob's Ladder    

to make the whole shebang go I will leave that and more detail until tomorrow when sleep has transpired and caffeine is flowing freely through my veins

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #5,349 of 22,945
3 days with the SE846 and I'm just loving it. I have been going through the whole box of tips and westone tips all day ... especially going through really nice vocals and songs that have that impact hard hitting bass that gives a good thump to see which tips were best. To my surprise the small shure black foams are the best for what I want! I've never ever like comply foams.. for one they don't last, and usually they make everything a bit muddy and detail is just all lost. But these shure ones sound amazing .. the most hard hitting low bass out of all the tips but without making the vocals or mids veiled. I went through all the sizes of the westone star tips also ... they're very comfortable but they just lack bass impact and just a bit brighter overall .. kind of loosing the smoothness. 

Maybe in a week's time, my preference will change again but at the moment buying more shure black foams :) 

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #5,350 of 22,945
Nice ! It was 12 C last night on southern Ontario
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that.  Over here, the state has a drought, and at least in the part of the state where I live (not far from the beach) it hasn't been 12C (53F) here since probably the start of the year.  During the day the temperature has been 21.1C (70F) to about 32.2C (90F).

Quote:

I will definitely report back how it sounds - I think I will also try with HA-FX850 - It should be here any day, I should probably experiment with the black and white filter before it comes to get a feel for the variables in sound....

Oh, I forgot to ask, what "Wire" did you choose?

From the plusSound website for the X8 (the current base price is $234.99 before customizing the "Length", "Wire" and "Plug" of your cable):

Silver Plated Copper -- + $0
Copper (cryo treated) -- +$50
Copper (type 2 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$100
Copper - 24AWG (type 6 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$200
Silver + Copper (type 2 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$200
Pure Silver (type 6 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$300
Copper and Silver + Copper (type 2 litz) (hybrid) -- +$150
Silver plated Copper and Silver + Copper  (type 2) (hybrid) -- +$110
Copper (type 2) + pure Silver (type 6) (hybrid) -- +$200 or
Silver and Copper (type 2) + pure Silver (type 6) (hybrid) -- +$250?

Whew, plusSound sure does have a plethora of wire choices!  
eek.gif
  There are actually a total of 24 choices, but the other other choices are regarding cable/sheath colors.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #5,351 of 22,945
  3 days with the SE846 and I'm just loving it. I have been going through the whole box of tips and westone tips all day ... especially going through really nice vocals and songs that have that impact hard hitting bass that gives a good thump to see which tips were best. To my surprise the small shure black foams are the best for what I want! I've never ever like comply foams.. for one they don't last, and usually they make everything a bit muddy and detail is just all lost. But these shure ones sound amazing .. the most hard hitting low bass out of all the tips but without making the vocals or mids veiled. I went through all the sizes of the westone star tips also ... they're very comfortable but they just lack bass impact and just a bit brighter overall .. kind of loosing the smoothness. 

Maybe in a week's time, my preference will change again but at the moment buying more shure black foams :) 

Congrats!  Welcome to the club of satisfied (most are very satisfied I must say) SE846 owners.  If you haven't tried swapping out the filters, you should do that as well to find out the sound signature that is right for you.  For example, I like using the black modded filters (took out the damper) as it sounds great to me, and Spook76 uses zero filters, or as he likes to call them: Afterburners© (I even added a copyright for him). 
etysmile.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5,352 of 22,945
It is fairly obvious that I need, need!, custom fitted sleeves on the strength of the Westone foam tips. They themselves have broght me all the closer to the music (I was just in tears while listening to Pink Floyd's "Keep Talking" -not that there is anything unusual there for mine...), however there is always an effort involved in finding the right fit; trajectory even in bringing the best sound forth.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5,353 of 22,945

Sorry to hear that.  Over here, the state has a drought, and at least in the part of the state where I live (not far from the beach) it hasn't been 12C (53F) here since probably the start of the year.  During the day the temperature has been 21.1C (70F) to about 32.2C (90F).

Oh, I forgot to ask, what "Wire" did you choose?

From the plusSound website for the X8 (the current base price is $234.99 before customizing the "Length", "Wire" and "Plug" of your cable):

Silver Plated Copper -- + $0
Copper (cryo treated) -- +$50
Copper (type 2 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$100
Copper - 24AWG (type 6 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$200
Silver + Copper (type 2 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$200
Pure Silver (type 6 litz) (cryo treated) -- +$300
Copper and Silver + Copper (type 2 litz) (hybrid) -- +$150
Silver plated Copper and Silver + Copper  (type 2) (hybrid) -- +$110
Copper (type 2) + pure Silver (type 6) (hybrid) -- +$200 or
Silver and Copper (type 2) + pure Silver (type 6) (hybrid) -- +$250?

Whew, plusSound sure does have a plethora of wire choices!  
eek.gif
  There are actually a total of 24 choices, but the other other choices are regarding cable/sheath colors.

It isn't listed because they ran out of silver & (1% gold) wire... I bought a used one - it is the X8 - so 8 strands. Positive leg is 4 silver (1% gold) and negative leg is OCC copper. So it was at least a $200 add to the regular price. Should be here any day - can't wait 
tongue.gif

What are you doing up so early? Hitting the beach? My old office was on Main in Seal - moved out in June to home office - great restaurants - and you can't beat the view.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #5,354 of 22,945
It is fairly obvious that I need, need!, custom fitted sleeves on the strength of the Westone foam tips. They themselves have broght me all the closer to the music (I was just in tears while listening to Pink Floyd's "Keep Talking" -not that there is anything unusual there for mine...), however there is always an effort involved in finding the right fit; trajectory even in bringing the best sound forth.

If you really do need custom fitted sleeves/the SCS, it will be worth it and will liberate you from having to ever use effort to find the right fit regarding trajectory because the custom sleeves will have negated that aspect of insertion from the equation.  If you are absolutely happy with the Westone foam tips and have the most optimal and deep seal/fit/feel/isolation, that is great, and the SCS may be more trouble (and money) than they are worth.

It isn't listed because they ran out of silver & (1% gold) wire... I bought a used one - it is the X8 - so 8 strands. Positive leg is 4 silver (1% gold) and negative leg is OCC copper. So it was at least a $200 add to the regular price. Should be here any day - can't wait 
tongue.gif

What are you doing up so early? Hitting the beach? My old office was on Main in Seal - moved out in June to home office - great restaurants - and you can't beat the view.

First, there is a lot about me that you do not know, sir. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  Regarding hitting the beach, I went to Seal Beach yesterday and spent the afternoon paddle boarding in their canals.  Nice area, but parking on a Saturday out there was atrocious.  I found it interesting that the homes and docked boats of the canals in Seal Beach were a little bit better in 'quality' than the Long Beach Belmont Shores canals' homes and docked boats when I kayaked there a few weeks ago.  It was almost like the neighbors were in competition with each other: "my boat is bigger than yours", then next door, "no, MY boat is bigger than yours", then on the other side of the canal "Nooo, I RUN this canal, and hear me roar with this super snazzy huge technological VESSAL!" 
tongue_smile.gif
   I definitely got a kick out of that.

As for your cable, oh, so you got the (hybrid) one.  Now I'm really interested to read your impressions, and find out if they match the Forza Audioworks Hybrid IEM cable's (from Forza's site:  High purity, 4 strands of 26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC copper + UPOCC silver in semi-Litz geometry and PE insulation) impressions that I've read. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back