Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,248 of 3,218
Price perhaps? I know most of us prefer to spend at least $1,000 on a pair of IEMs, but there are still a few people who'd rather spend less.

Please tell me you are joking??
Another clueless wonder! So a small business owner has no reason to be honest? Both from a business standpoint AND from a personal integrity standpoint?

Who said anything about cost comparison per performance? Who cares about that? Everybody's barameter is different so that is pointless. I am talking straight up comparisons

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #1,249 of 3,218
Flavio - thanks for posting.  As you're one of the very few who have had a chance to actually hear these - I'd also really be interested in your thoughts compared to the SE535 (I own the Asian Special Editions).  Thanks for contributing by the way - it's been much better than the back and forth regarding price/value on this thread.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #1,250 of 3,218
This is a joke, am I correct?

Earphone Solutions has the best and most responsive customer service in the distributor IEM business. Nothing but thousands of positive customer feedback comments.

Yet you question Flavio's integrity? Son, please....you sound like a moron. Please back out now to keep from further embarrassing yourself.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,252 of 3,218
Quote:
Yet you question Flavio's integrity? Son, please....you sound like a moron. Please back out now to keep from further embarrassing yourself.

And here we have a classic example of the straw man argument, where the original point is near impregnable, forcing opponents to construct an alternate target to attack...the straw man, if you will.

The original fuss was over Flavio, seller of the earphones in question, wrote a gushing review calling the 846 the best headphone experience he'd ever had. He claimed it destroyed everything else he'd ever heard, including unspecified $1,200 custom made iems. On top of that, the review contained very little valuable information about the 846, other than it is a must buy. This is what is being called into question.

The straw man in this case is that somehow someone insinuated that Flavio is a terrible human being, and only wants to lead our wallets to the slaughter. This is a much less defensible position for the proponents of the original argument, thus ceding their once impregnable points.

If you'll look back over the last few posts you'll notice that the review is not even being called into question anymore, just his customer service and business practices. 

As for the business practices, all I'll say is this...I'm pretty sure the MSRP of the 846 wasn't $1250, or whatever was on the SE site...unless it was, and Shure finally listened to all our bitching.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #1,253 of 3,218
Quote:
Earphone Solutions has the best and most responsive customer service in the distributor IEM business. Nothing but thousands of positive customer feedback comments.

I never questioned the integrity of Earphone Solutions nor Flavio. I merely found this part rather amusing: "You MUST be,  for your business to survive". A sweeping and generalising statement that simply does not hold.

If I remember correctly, I believe it was you engaging in nonsensical discourse regarding basic economics, law and marketing earlier in the thread. Albeit, you did stop when a DA and a professional in the marketing industry pointed out that you were undoubtedly wrong. Better to think again before you go around calling somebody else an ignoramus. Introspection will go a long way.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,254 of 3,218
And before you pop a blood vessel, read more of music's posts.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,255 of 3,218
Quote:
Actually Lehman were straight shooters, they were in business for over 120 years and when the management realized the commercial real estate group lost over $50 billion they ended up filing for bankruptcy and did not get a government bailout. My best friend, a managing director lost $13 million in equity and is not bitter but feels they deserved their fate.

Just like Arthur Anderson, a rogue group in Houston destroyed arguably the best accounting firm. Never forget Anderson's conviction was overturned by the US Supeme Court UNANIMOUSLY but too late to save them.

What is straight shooting in banking? 
size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #1,256 of 3,218
Arthur Anderson has been reincarnated as Accenture so I don't feel too sorry for them. They were neck deep in scandals and besides the Big 4 don't exactly generate a lot of respect, just that they are an oligopoly with good friends in high places. Amazing how HSBC got a slap on the wrist after a multi billion dollar drug money laundering scam. At this point it's hard to take American banking seriously as a harbinger of truth, justice and fair play.

Back to SE846, the review reads a lot like an advertisement but given its from the very person who's selling it, there is a huge conflict of interest. I am looking forward to a second set of customs or universal IEM so will reserve judgement until I hear them.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,257 of 3,218
Quote:
It is on his own site and he does not hide the fact that he is the owner of the website. So he has done ZERO wrong on Head-fi nor has he done anything wrong ethically or morally.

Absolutely true.
Maybe it was unfair to rip his "review" apart, but in my opinion it was a very bad attempt. He did not even try to describe the sound signature and throwing terms like "the best" multiple times will draw attention - you at least have to name your reference if you think it performs better.

I think the text is an advertisement which the author backs up with his own opinion. It's sympathetic and fair, but sadly very bad timing for a community that has been dying to have some questions* answered objectively.

* sound signature - so far not a single impression could describe the bass amount comprehensible for me. Is the tonality warm or balanced? Forward or recessed mids?
reference - what is the reference if the SE846 is supposedly to sound better? Where is the author coming from? Does he even appreciate "high fidelity"?
treble extension - where does it cut off? (Apparently extended treble causes fatigue, which was news to me. How does Flavio get through the day if he does not like high frequencies. Do birds cause fatigue too?)

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #1,258 of 3,218
While everyone is awaiting the release of the SE846, I was surprised that no one (to my knowledge) has mentioned their full sized headphones flagship, the 1840, and questioned why Shure didn't try and take on top tier headphones with it like the Sennheiser HD800, for example. It is interesting that the company has chosen to compete only in the TOTL IEM space.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,259 of 3,218
Quote:
While everyone is awaiting the release of the SE846, I was surprised that no one (to my knowledge) has mentioned their full sized headphones flagship, the 1840, and questioned why Shure didn't try and take on top tier headphones with it like the Sennheiser HD800, for example. It is interesting that the company has chosen to compete only in the TOTL IEM space.

You mean instead or concurrently?

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #1,260 of 3,218
Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't the "review" only picked up because it was posted by someone else i.e. not the person himself here?

Furthermore, the "review" was done not only on his own website, but also a website that sells a multiplicity of earphones i.e. not only the Shure SE846. So with that in mind, not only does he have the latitude to post a review on his own website, but he should also have the latitude to post whatever he likes on his own website. His own website has a section dedicated to "best earphones", and I don't believe his website to be the only one to do this. If so, then I don't see why umbrage was not taken against that in addition to the fact that he does his own reviews?

Sure, the review may have been done to drum up interest, but his review is every bit as valid as anyone of yours. Perhaps, one might be well advised to take it with a pinch of salt given he will be selling it as one of his products etc. But we all take a pinch of salt with most reviews we read here anyway. But let me state this, we have reviewers here who receive free products on the side or who are sponsored by one or more audio companies. And when they review products, they are just as much an interested party whether we like it or not. The question is how some are able to remain objective. Some are, some aren't, who knows? 

What some of you are forgetting is that these earphones may be every bit as good as is claimed (I'm not claiming they are). Picking any "review" apart now for want of impartiality shows yourself up for the very same issue, partiality (by giving a person stick, and the review stick, without even having heard the product itself first). 

Lighten up, take a chill pill. Have a listen to the product when it comes out and then challenge his or whoever else's findings on the Shure SE846. Till then, at least we have an impression of the product, no matter how skewed the opinion may be. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back