Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,231 of 3,218
Quote:
Wow! Look guys, I'm a small business owner. I am not a professional reviewer. I cannot write about sound like most of you can. I have the SE846 here in Orlando. If anyone of you are in the central Florida area and would like to spend 2 hours with them to write an article for Earphone Solutions, I can arrange for you to come over and try the earphones and write something that would suck less than what I did (it shouldn't be hard, right? :wink:

The only experience I have is the fact that I listen to many different models, spend time with them and have been doing this since 1995.

What I wrote, aside from not meeting the expectation of many of you, is my honest opinion. They sound incredible. I never pretended to be able to write and compare like many of you can. I can't. And that's why I have many times reached out to some of you in the past.

When UE launched the Triple.fi many customers that called and asked for my opinion I would tell them I preferred the 5 Pros. "But they are $150 less!" But for me the treble on the triple.fis were too much. So I do give my personal opinion. And when I find my self in a position of not loving a new model, I simply don't say I love them. We try our best.

I apologize if my family's history is boring, off topic, or if it came out like "cheap marketing" and whatever else.

I apologize I can't translate into words the sound quality of the SE846. I was hoping I could do that later this weekend doing an A/B comparison with my other earphones. Our customers know what we are and what we are not. We strive to provide the best, honest, customer service we can.

This was not meant to be an in-depth review (certainly I can't write one that would satisfy some of our customers) but I felt anxious to publish some quick first impressions. My mistake in the title.

The criticism is noted. Thanks for the feedback. Brutal. Not something I'd like to start the weekend with but it is what it is.

IMHO the SE846 is the best earphones I've ever listened to. I know music from a listener perspective. That's my experience. And yes, I can't write very well like an audiophile / copywriter would and I'm sorry I disappointed some of you with my first impressions article.

No hard feelings man! You should compare it to some other earphones to give an idea of how it differs if you can't really describe it. I think knowing how much of a step up over the se535's would be a great indicative. Your review was more of a casual impression and kind of startled many I guess. I just took your information to get an idea of what to expect and called it a "review" as in that I think it's more of an impression.

Comparisons are always good, and knowing what other high end iems you preferred it to would be cool man! The fact that you have the iem and can experience it for yourself gives you a good stance on quieting down the raucous of this thread and giving people a taste of what to expect.

I referred your link because I did think that any information is valuable, so don't feel bad if people are needy and critical!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,232 of 3,218
Quote:
"Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200."

Conveniently, the name of said customs is being omitted.

Likely UE11 or UE18 since that's what he carries in that range. Customs vary a lot as well so without specifics, that statement doesn't mean much. I don't doubt that he genuinely liked them but some statements like bringing live rock concerts home to your head is out there.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #1,234 of 3,218
i do think it is absurd for the merchant who is taking pre-orders for and selling the product to place a "review" like that on the site....look,they may well be the best IEM's ever made but I would like to hear a few impartial reviews before I consider them!

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,235 of 3,218
Every time someone calls me and asks which is best, the W4R or the UM3X-RC I tell them I prefer my UM3X-RC unless your collection has a majority of classical music.

We make more money when we sell the W4R but every time I get a call like this I sell the UM3X-RC.

I'm partial to my own opinion and I try very hard to convey that we are about the best earphones for different price ranges, uses, tastes, etc. based on our opinion.

I didn't write anything about the IE800 because the few we got we sold in 2 days and I had no chance to listen to them yet. Until then you won't find me writing or talking about them.

That's how we have stayed in business for over 18 years. But I understand and accept we don't appeal to all types of customers.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,236 of 3,218
Unlike the SE846 that was given to Jude, the SE846 that was given to us only came with the "balanced" nozzle. There's the "bright" which extends highs and the "warm" enhances upper mids and lows. Testing with iPhone 5 straight up. At 3/5 of the volume it's loud enough. Some songs I will go 3/4 because they sound even better.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,237 of 3,218

Hmm... not so sure it's appropriate for a sponsor to give a thumbs up to a post like the one above (or that it should be allowed).

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,239 of 3,218
Quote:
I thought your previous post was fair and you stated the facts and I appreciated that.
You're right again. I'm not sure that was appropriate either. Emotions, facts,... Hard to separate them. I respect you.

I think it takes guts and a certain amount of humility to write what you just have in a public forum like this one — thank you for doing so.

It has to be said, in all fairness, that although I've never purchased an item from Earphone Solutions (ES), and haven't always appreciated some of the marketing techniques this & other companies use, I have seen countless posts praising the excellent customer service ES provides. In fact, I don't think I've ever come across a single negative post in that regard.

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,240 of 3,218
I don't know why anyone would not buy from a reseller because they think the reseller lacks credibility in regards to their review of a headphone. If I am mistaken and the concern is about the reseller's credibility as a reseller then I do understand that and respect everyone's right to choose who they buy from.

Personally I have never seen anything written by Flavio that is dishonest and his review reads like someone who really liked what he heard (enough so that he is buying extra units to sell). Is he a bit flowery and less critical than some on this site? ABSOLUTELY but that is just as much a difference in styles and personalities as anything (my reviews are only rarely really negative too but I am not a reseller so nobody questions my integrity or at least not as hostilely as what I am reading in regards to Flavio). Also I think that Flavio made it very clear in his review that he was the owner of Earphone Solutions so he was not being misleading in that regard either.

Having said all this I won't be buying this expensive IEM until I have read many reviews and may not bite even then as the price is getting to high in the stratosphere for me. But if I do decide to buy it, Earphone Solutions will be on my list of resellers I will consider buying from as I have had good experience with them personally.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,241 of 3,218
Flavio is a straight shooter.  You MUST be,  for your business to survive.  Been doing business with him for 10 years now.  Unlike many owners he's intimately involved in the business.  Have spoken with him a few times before some purchases and have always thought he was looking out for my best interest.   Anyway....enough of that.

Flavio.....comparisons would be great but I would hope the biggest focus would be with comparisons with Earphone Solutions "best" IEM....the SE535.    With the "star" tips I find it crazy good.  Clarity is exceptional (far superior to W4), treble is extended enough where anymore would be shrill or too much, bass is very adequate and plentiful.  Soundstage quite large for an IEM.    So I really want to know exactly where and how and by how much it excels over SE535?  At this level most of us would consider 20-25% improvement pretty significant so a percentage amount is welcome.  Also, what custom do you have that you compared SE846 with?

Lastly, and I guess I am, again, focusing on SE535....is there any scenario where one would still prefer SE535 over SE846 where it basically comes down to preferences?  Or are you undoubtedly convinced SE846 kills it under any scenario?  The reason I ask is because many here would NOT want more bass than SE535 already has.  Thanks.

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,243 of 3,218

Quote:
Flavio is a straight shooter.  You MUST be,  for your business to survive.

How long did Lehman Brothers survive? Are all investment banks that are still around today straight shooters"? How long have some pretty famous audit firms been around? Are they all "straight shooters", too? Oil companies? Fast food chains? TV networks? Newspapers? Record companies? etc., etc.

Quote:

....is there any scenario where one would still prefer SE535 over SE846 where it basically comes down to preferences?

Price perhaps? I know most of us prefer to spend at least $1,000 on a pair of IEMs, but there are still a few people who'd rather spend less.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #1,244 of 3,218
My last post on this issue. I do not know Flavio personally my entire experience with him has been through a couple exchanges a few years ago in the SE215 thread and buying 2 IEM's from his website all done through PayPal with zero personal interaction. So saying I am a friend coming to his defense is a bit far reaching.

As for his review. It is on his own site and he does not hide the fact that he is the owner of the website. So he has done ZERO wrong on Head-fi nor has he done anything wrong ethically or morally. He simply expressed his opinion on the new IEM Shure has made.
When I used to sell computers years ago I tested and reviewed tons of different models and I recommended equipment based on what I knew. Guess what, LOTS of people assumed I was just trying to sell them a bill of goods instead of being honest (I didn't sell to many of those people) and I hope each of those people found what they needed. But some people decided I was just trying to help and I sold them a computer. I wake up every day knowing I never once ripped off or led my customers astray, regardless of what those who "knew" different believed. So Flavio, if you know in your heart you are always looking after your customer's best interests, just let the detractors comments slide of your back like water off a duck

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,245 of 3,218
now the reviewer didn't know what he was doing when he wrote that review even though he owns a company that sells earphones, and now we have his friends defending him, makes sense to me.

Don't be an *******! He apologized for not being an English literature scholar. Does that makes his opinions irrelevant? You don't have a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back