Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 16, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #841 of 3,218
Quote:
Now this sounds like my house.......My son is a 20 year old College student and EVERYTHING is about him LOL

I'm married, and everything is about SHOES.....

How do you think I've been able to get away with all the purchases of headphones I've made in the last 18 months since I arrived at this site? There are double the amount of new shoes in the closet!

EDIT: Think the price of these is high? Try a pair of Manolo Blahnik!

May 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #842 of 3,218
Quote:
Now this sounds like my house.......My son is a 20 year old College student and EVERYTHING is about him LOL

Quote:
I'm married, and everything is about SHOES.....

How do you think I've been able to get away with all the purchases of headphones I've made in the last 18 months since I arrived at this site? There are double the amount of new shoes in the closet!

EDIT: Think the price of these is high? Try a pair of Manolo Blahnik!

LOL.......Rudi has a good story about headphones and shoes.  His wife asked him "Why do you need all these Heaphones, you only have two ears?"
He said right back, "Why do you need all the shoes you have, you only have two feet?"   Hehehehehe...... 
L3000.gif

deadhorse.gif

May 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #843 of 3,218
Quote:
Well, goodvibes, I bow to your seniority here.  I'm not going to make it to 4000+ posts.
wink_face.gif
I often try to use [more like abuse] my 18 year seniority on my job but it almost never works (except at bid time). I tell them that it's "all about me", and they just roll their eyes.

Some people seem upset about the direction of this thread. I have to wonder what-the-heck did they expect on a thread about a product that is not yet to market? Perhaps they can check the Head Gear section for no-nonsense info.

I appreciate the thoroughness of the established reviewers here. Even if they have an SE846 review unit, they are in no hurry to rush to judgment.

We know they are good. Jude seems to like them and that's good enough for me. The rest is about how good. I think for a top tier universal consumer product, you need to cover your tracks just a bit and it's a tough balancing act. I know how significantly my jh13s can change character with a cable swap from lean to warm and different emphasis' and they are rather non reactive electrically. That type of revealing can present problems for a non professional unaccustomed to interfacing. When making something like this, you need to pick a bit of a freindly sig while still allowing a high level of resolve and good octave to octave balance.

May 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #844 of 3,218
Well the number of posts per hour has really died down. Have we said all there is to say on the topic? It was kind of crazy early on reading 15 or 20 pages for every 1 review. I like my 535s, and will consider the 846s or JH16s the next time I feel like getting new IEMs; however the LCDs are next on my list. Cheers

May 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #845 of 3,218
Quote:
Since we are running full circle here, isn't a $600 cost increase a lot for a increase in bass?

I guess they HAD to throw in the gimicky filter swap outs with stainless nozzles to add SOMETHING of more value.  Isn't using EQ to adjust the treble easier? 

oh no she didant!!!

lol
popcorn.gif

May 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #848 of 3,218
(Hopefully not too OT, because there is an IEM connection.)  EQ is very tricky to apply. It generally takes lots of data, or lots of patience, or lots of experience (usually some of each is best).  The phrase "more harm than good" often applies, although one can have success in limited contexts.  It also creates tradeoffs.  I have the Sony XBA4 IEM which I have EQ'ed to yield an extremely-revealing sonic character.  I can only use it in portable mode where I have the EQ capabilities (currently in Rockbox and in phone apps), I have to amp it using a low output impedance amp to keep the sound stable, and the EQ lowers battery life.  But in the hot summer, my Sony setup is definitely the best portable solution for me.

The better thing is to find an IEM that sounds exactly the way you want it to sound, without EQ.  Using EQ is a way to save money and time in the search for the ideal IEM. 

May 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #851 of 3,218
I am a huge fan of the 535.    I have been using a pair in  clear for 2 years now.    I fitted these with the Comply P-Series Slim Foam Tips.     As we all know, fit and sound quality are subjective.  Now add to that other variables such as the  type of music you play and your rig, and nobody is going to agree on one set of "perfect" IEMs.    For me, the 535s are my everyday go to IEM.  I plug them into my Iphone 5 and they sound great.  They are super tough and make just about any recording sound full and clear.   The fit is perfect for my medium sized ears.  I find that I can uses them  indefinitely without any discomfort.   So what is a  Sure believer's first thought re  the  846?    Spyro has a good point, at $1000, the 846 is treading dangerously into custom territory.  If I stepped up.  were would I go?    Hard to imagine they could be that good, or worth 2x the price of the 535.  That said, I will check them out. 

May 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #853 of 3,218
Specs are impressive!   Almost half the Impedance of the IE-800s

Impedance:

Sure 535                      36 Ohms
JH-16                           18 Ohms
Sennheiser IE-800       16 Ohms

Sure 846                        9 Ohms

May 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #854 of 3,218
Quote:
Specs are impressive!   Almost half the Impedance of the IE-800s

Impedance:

Sure 535                      36 Ohms
JH-16                           18 Ohms
Sennheiser IE-800       16 Ohms

Sure 846                        9 Ohms

Is there an advantage to having a lower impedance? If anything, it makes finding a "magic 8" damping factor harder. Also from what I recall, lower impedance headphones are actually harder to drive due to the higher current needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back