Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #751 of 3,218
Quote:
I didn't really wonder about the LCD-3 to 2 price difference. I was being facetious towards the previous post and the evidence-free implication that the new Shure was not worth the asking price. The LCD-3 is worth it if you think that it is and that is good enough for me.

If you have the Miracle and the TG!334, I don't blame you for skipping the new Shure. More and more (it seems) people have more than one $1K IEM. Which do you reach for more often?

I call BS on the notion that people are legitimately concerned about the “future of the IEM market” based solely on this one new upcoming Shure IEM.

Jude has heard the SE846 and says it belongs in the $1K decision in terms of competing with other $1K IEMs soundwise. He came back and said it is not a new 535. It is an upgrade new model. I do wonder if the pre-release attacks are based on stockholder of competitors.

You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing several times, but expecting a different result.

However, since I am insane, I will repeat myself again.

Nobody is questioning the sound of the Shure iems. What is being criticized is the fact that a mainstream company like Shure is putting out an iem at $1K, boutique prices, despite their access to relatively massive manufacturing and infrastructure. It's pushing the market into thinking that $1K is "ok" for a flagship phone that is not resource intensive to manufacture. You mention the Miracle and 334, two iems that are very time and labor intensive to produce, and require individualized attention by technicians. 

May 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #752 of 3,218
I still don't get the fuss over the price of these iem's. again, if others do it, why can't Shure, of all companies not do it? They're maybe mainstream, but they make professional quality product, and always have been. I feel more confident dealing with this type of company than with foreign companies where I can only communicate with the marketing department...

Knowing some distributor reps for Shure here in Canada, I have to say it's nothing but professionalism and knowledge on their product.

I'm getting ticked off with this thread going around in circles ( and i have to add to it). Let's try to keep this informative guys...

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 14, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #753 of 3,218
from eke2k6  -  What is being criticized is the fact that a mainstream company like Shure is putting out an iem at $1K, boutique prices, despite their access to relatively massive manufacturing and infrastructure. It's pushing the market into thinking that $1K is "ok" for a flagship phone that is not resource intensive to manufacture

No, that is not true.  But it seems they are having that effect on you.  You are brainwashing your self into that thinking but Shure has NOTHING to do with that.

Last I checked, SE535 is still Shure's flagship universal (and a damn good one!) until some time later this summer when the new product comes out.  By the mere fact that it will cost more than double what the SE535 costs doesn't in any way diminish what a great IEM SE535 is yet1/2 the people posting here have already set their thought process that SE535 is all of the sudden a lessor crappy IEM'.  In other words, you are getting sucked in to the trap.  You can't resist thinking you MUST have the SE846.

If people think it cost too much (without hearing it too
rolleyes.gif
)  just enjoy your fabulous SE535's and move on with your life.  If, some day you run into some extra cash or win the lotto, then go ahead and buy some $1000+ IEM's.

Supply and demand....plenty of other offerings these days...fantastic sounding IEM's in the $300-500 range.

May 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #754 of 3,218
You know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing several times, but expecting a different result.

Said a man who looked like he stuck a fork into an outlet :p

May 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #755 of 3,218
Only crazy people don't think they're crazy.  So if you think you're crazy, you're not. 
confused.gif

May 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #757 of 3,218
It is hard and I understand the viewpoints for both sides of the discussion. $1,000 is a lot of money to some and for others it is not. Audio is a horrible hobby for anyone, as the strive for perfection is just so hard to resist.

I think it needs to be taken into account, that these new breed of TOTL (C)IEMs are pushing the boundaries of sonic reproduction, and the improvement over the years are vast due to advances in technology this sector has seen, especially for BA drivers and their implementation. 

If the SE846 sounds comparable/ better, than other (C)IEMs of similar price, then Shure has done a great job and should be congratulated on this feat. 

At the end of the day, it is about the sound and what this quality is worth. Not product line up and differentials in the prices of the line up..............

Best of all, the consumer has the option to choose whether to buy or not. If $1,000 is a lot of money, please wait for the reviews/auditions, if the amount isn't then take the plunge
size]

May 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #758 of 3,218
Quote:
If you have the Miracle and the TG!334, I don't blame you for skipping the new Shure. More and more (it seems) people have more than one $1K IEM. Which do you reach for more often?

Which one is based on what setting I'm in. I use the Miracles on Airplanes. The Miracles' isolation is so complete that it drowns out the engine noise. With being able to that though, I am afraid to wear them in public......I know that sounds.. well... something... but it's true. In case someone was trying to get my attention or there was danger I would not have my sense of hearing. I just read that someone was walking on a train track with 'ear buds' in and did not hear the train coming, got hit, and died. Stupid for shure:) to be on a train track to begin with.

I use the 334s when not at home and not on an airplane.   Which is better? Damned if I know  
smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #759 of 3,218
Quote:
If the SE846 sounds comparable/ better, than other (C)IEMs of similar price, then Shure has done a great job and should be congratulated on this feat. 

At the end of the day, it is about the sound and what this quality is worth. Not product line up and differentials in the prices of the line up..............

If you read the impressions so far and consider the reviewers were put in line for 30 minutes to have a quick listen, this is what I interpret: The Shure does not noticeably extend the highs compared to their previous flagship or create an holographic soundstage like a custom monitor, but they have incredible subwoofer bass.

Nobody has said this is the truest hi-fi I have yet heard. Far from it! There is no reason to applaud yet. They have nothing but a feature.
I hope I am wrong here, but I cannot tell until I have the SE846 in my hands and I get to compare them to something other than the SE535, like the custom monitor Stage 3. If they can beat that (same price), then I applaud. But even then, I will have to consider if I want to give the same amount to money to a factory, or a very talented person that has worked day and night on my very special and own product.

May 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #760 of 3,218
As an audio enthusiast that has been faithful to the Shure brand over the years; starting with the SE210 4 years ago, graduating to the SE420 a year later, and finally taking (what I thought was) the final plunge this year in getting the Limited Edition Red SE535-J, I would say my feeling on this latest announcement is a mixture of awe, disappointment, regret and aspiration. Awe at the apparent technological achievement and innovation involved in this product, disappointment at the high price, regret at the fact I bought my 535's just a couple of months ago, and aspiration towards one day perhaps being fortunate enough to own these.
I thought I had taken the final step in purchasing the SE535 Ltd and feel an immense pride of ownership in them. Now I just know I will not rest until I have my very own pair of these 846. Even if it means waiting 1 or 2 years to be able to afford them. I am sure there are quite a few Shure aficionados who feel the same way as I do.

Sent via iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #761 of 3,218
Quote:
The Lexus, though, is a wonderful example of insane pricing - and I think the price was nearly as offensive as the styling - two strikes against it in the marketplace.

Fwiw, Lexus sold every one of the LFAs that they made. So for Toyota it was a success.

May 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #762 of 3,218
Quote:
Anyhow, for better or worse, this is driving a new market for iem after cables so soon enough you'll have 299USD silver plated cable for your 846
wink.gif

Like this... (Alpha Design Labs/Furutech)

http://www.adl-av.com/products/cables/headphone/

May 15, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #763 of 3,218
Quote:

However, since I am insane, I will repeat myself again.

Nobody is questioning the sound of the Shure iems. What is being criticized is the fact that a mainstream company like Shure is putting out an iem at $1K, boutique prices, despite their access to relatively massive manufacturing and infrastructure. It's pushing the market into thinking that $1K is "ok" for a flagship phone that is not resource intensive to manufacture. You mention the Miracle and 334, two iems that are very time and labor intensive to produce, and require individualized attention by technicians. 

Nobody, eh? So, you speak for everybody? Okay then, are you saying it cost Audeze $1000 more (in sweat-equity,  or something) to produce the LCD-3 than to produce the LCD-2? From pictures, they look nearly identical. Never mind, don't bother answering.

If “boutiques” like 1964Ears and Alclair can sell their (highly rated) labor intensive CIEMs for around $400, does that make $1K+ CIEMs overpriced? Never mind, it's just that devil of a company Shure (who primarily make studio equipment) who is the villain.....

I've already made the argument myself that I thought the SE846 came with an audiophile premium and was not priced as a result of R&D. So called “innovation” (claimed by “ingenious” engineering) is market jargon that can apply to everything under the sun (from laundry detergent to cars). At the end of the day, I want to see (or in this case) hear the results. That's all that matters. I'll determine if it is worth my money at that time. I won't have to be stuck trying to sell it, if it is not worth my money.

May 15, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #764 of 3,218
To me the 'money' thing at this stage is a crass argument

a) A new low pass filter and crossover design

b) 3 changeable nozzle sleeve which change the sound

with reference to 'b' possible 3 different in-ears for the price of one.

So lets drop the money issue until it is released and reviewed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back