Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
May 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #721 of 3,218
Quote:
It's only half the truth. I think the big problem is that SE535, IE80 and AKG K70x still cost the same.

Actually, they are cheaper — there's also something called "inflation". When the TF10 & E500 were originally released, they were extraordinarily expensive.

Quote:
I repeat myself...

Yes

Quote:
... it's just a matter of time until 100$ earphones will outperform the SE535 and IE80. When that happens, I will put Shure and Sennheiser in the same bag with AKG, Bose and Dr. Dre.

Oh yes, AKG sucks big time! I know, sadly AKG = Skullcandy these days. Oh, but but wait, wait...wait…actually Skullcandy are making better sounding products these days than they used to. (seriously)

Quote:

For now, let's see how innovative Shure actually is and if it can beat customs

NOTHING can beat customs and that, to this day, is an indisputable fact.

-------------------

All that said, I'm more interested at present in the StageDiver SD-2 than in the SE846.

May 14, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #722 of 3,218
If you think consumers speaking up about feeling ripped off is Marxist and anti-free-market, I don't think you actually understand either of them.

No I understand both quite well. You miss my point which is please whine somewhere else as I would like to see posts about the actual product (SE 846) and its sound/build quality.

May 14, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #723 of 3,218
Be quite funny if some veteran reviewers say "it worth every cent", guess some people here will be eating there own words. If the new nozzle setup is any good it could actually 3 in-ears for the price of one.

May 14, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #724 of 3,218
Quote:
All that said, I'm more interested at present in the StageDiver SD-2 than in the SE846.

Mine was sent today. I ordered both, SD-2 and SD-3 because after seeing the price of the SE846, I thought they were dead cheap, lol. Will get the IE800 next month. Somebody with a lot of experience said the SD-3 is technically superior to the IE800...

May 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #725 of 3,218
drop the econ topics. Jeez. If you want to roll your eyes on these arguments, go ahead.
In some ways, there are pointless. But if people want to argue/discuss, let them do so.
It's not like what's being discussed here is stupid or pathetic, etc.

In my opinion, Shure just want's to compete with the other companies like Sennheiser for example. They don't want to do left out. They are people who likes Shure products. Shure wants to keep those customer, who are willing to spend $1000 on IEMs, happy. But diminishing returns is unquestionably there.

I'm not planning to buy $1000 IEMs any time soon. The improvements over $300 IEMs is not really there especially on portable devices like iPod/iPhone/Android phones.
This is obvious when I thought the FX700 is not much of an improvement over Monster Turbine Coppers in sound quality alone, while joker thought the FX700 sounds quite a bit better than the Coppers. Well, I only listen to 320 mp3/aac on portable device. But I don't think that makes a "big" difference. That's why the mainstream consumers spend around $100 or maybe even less.

May 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #726 of 3,218
Quote:
No I understand both quite well.

Then why bring it up, given that it's a total non sequitur?

And I don't know about you but I've been reading the impressions just fine as they come in.  It's not like there's a maximum post limit and we're pushing out all the impressions that would otherwise be here.  There aren't many demo units out there right now and very few people who've actually heard them.  And as has been said over and over, Shure was hoping to make an impact with this price so you can't actually be surprised that it's having that precise effect.

I'm interested in reading more impressions too, but that elephant in the room isn't going to leave all by itself.

May 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #727 of 3,218
Then why bring it up, given that it's a total non sequitur?

And I don't know about you but I've been reading the impressions just fine as they come in.  It's not like there's a maximum post limit and we're pushing out all the impressions that would otherwise be here.  There aren't many demo units out there right now and very few people who've actually heard them.  And as has been said over and over, Shure was hoping to make an impact with this price so you can't actually be surprised that it's having that precise effect.

I'm interested in reading more impressions too, but that elephant in the room isn't going to leave all by itself.

I'm interested from a business perspective to see if their gamble will pay off, but we'll likely never really know. Though I'm not sure if Shure is in a position to take advantage of "there's no such thing as bad publicity."

May 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #729 of 3,218
Quote:
As I haven't read all 45 pages forgive me if this has been mentioned. While I applaud Shure for finally releasing what I hope to be a successful IEM for them, I am again perplexed. As a forever user of ER4P's and UM2's (almost always portably) I have always marveled at how people seemed to get caught up in the "more is better" thinking. As I only use IEM's while commuting or traveling, and almost never at home, I never felt the need to upgrade. Whatever improvements made would sure to be cancelled out by ambient jackhammers, buses, subways, etc.

Sure people do buy blind based on internet reading  and diminishing returns absolutely also needs to be kept in mind in consumer electronics. Nevertheless you do not necessarily need to spend 1k to find out the grass is greener. As a UM2 owner of 5.5 years and having demoed what was out there, going back to the UM2 now would make the bloated bass, so-so mids and sibilance ever more apparent. Part ignorance is bliss and part having the willpower to resist temptation is the greatest saver of wallets from this site :)

Quote:
It's a side by side comparison between the SE535 and SE846.

Original source: http://m.av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/20130510_598878.html

Scroll down for a few more side by side comparison shots.

Thanks! Someone needs to go on a diet
tongue.gif
Judging from the photos it is fatter than Heir

May 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #730 of 3,218
Quote:
Quote:
Is that a black SE846 on the left?

It's a side by side comparison between the SE535 and SE846.

Original source: http://m.av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/20130510_598878.html

Scroll down for a few more side by side comparison shots.

Translated:
Quote:
- The cost down to the technology used in the SE846 is the feeling creative? Engstrom: cost is at stake or plate of metal material, such as the processing technology, in any part, price reduction It is difficult.

May 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #733 of 3,218
All that's left to say is this:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." ~Gandhi

I'm afraid there's just no denying that quite a few of us here will eventually pick these up, sooner or later. :p

May 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #734 of 3,218
$1k for universals? Consider me not only not interested, but downright pissed off. I don't want the headphone hobby to start looking like the speaker hobby, i.e. an uber-expensive, esoteric niche and status symbol only attainable to the few. However, it is heading - or rather charging full steam - in that direction. And this is coming from SHURE??

May 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #735 of 3,218
I don't want Ferrari to stop making red cars because I cannot afford an F430 (maybe I can get an old 308GT4)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back