Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 29, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #3,211 of 3,218
I completely agree with you. Shure takes the slow and steady road to create a great sound that lasts over time unlike the offerings of other companies.
Exactly. I did not always honor the companies that build for the long run, but over time I came to appreciate it more and more. I think there's much more technical knowledge necessary, a deeper understanding of the problem to solve, to build something that lasts. Having gone through many FOTM cycles and see the products fade after a short time, I'm now in a better position to value longevity I think.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #3,212 of 3,218
Yes I agree, Shure's product range, integration, and development seems very beneficial to the customer. An honest and concise range of IEM's with standard interchangeable connectors, cables, and BT adaptors throughout. Having options to maintain/add functionality to your existing products is very different on how most companies work these days.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,213 of 3,218
I'm on my 2nd pair of SE846 (bought used from another Head-fi member) and still prefer them over anything newer I own or have listened to. It's my 2nd pair as the 1st ones experienced a fault in the left earbud. My only complaint about them is that Shure only offers full replacement buds for $300US (each; total for L+R = $600) rather than offer a repair service. I was pleased to find a used pair for $400 with a few accessories and continue to prefer their sound, sometimes even more-so than my modded Sennheiser HD800 (SDR mod + Dekoni earpads + custom home-built cable).

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,214 of 3,218
I'm on my 2nd pair of SE846 (bought used from another Head-fi member) and still prefer them over anything newer I own or have listened to. It's my 2nd pair as the 1st ones experienced a fault in the left earbud. My only complaint about them is that Shure only offers full replacement buds for $300US (each; total for L+R = $600) rather than offer a repair service. I was pleased to find a used pair for $400 with a few accessories and continue to prefer their sound, sometimes even more-so than my modded Sennheiser HD800 (SDR mod + Dekoni earpads + custom home-built cable).
You may find it helpful to pursue fixing the old faulty bud. Vesper audio can fix a lot of things relatively inexpensively. I was only quoted around $50 including shipping to replace the mmcx connector on mine.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #3,217 of 3,218
You may find it helpful to pursue fixing the old faulty bud. Vesper audio can fix a lot of things relatively inexpensively. I was only quoted around $50 including shipping to replace the mmcx connector on mine.

Had some health stuff come up so I wasn't able to respond right away. On top of the failure of the left earbud from my original SE846, the used pair I picked up has now got a cracked case on the left earbud. Not sure how it happened but one day I went to remove them from my ear and the shell separated and I ended up breaking the wires going to the MMCX connector. I have managed to repair it and tried to reshell it, but the shell kit I bought won't fit the SE846 internals, even though that's what it was advertised for. The replacement shells even have SE846 imprinted on them, but there are 2 more 'posts' to join the two halves of the shell more securely. I could use my Dremel to remove those posts but then the shell will need to be glued to stay together.

On top of this, my Topping DX7 Pro just died as well. Went to lower the volume using the front panel knob and it would only let me increase the volume. I thought it might be a glitch so I powered off and now it won't power back on. I've removed all cables and am leaving power disconnected overnight to bleed off residual charge from capacitors. I'm not very hopeful though as others have experienced the same issue and had to return their unit to China for repair.

I've been an electronics tech for 35+ years so I'd be willing to try the repair myself if they can tell me which parts to order. I've sent an email off to Topping to see what they say. For now I'm using my Fiio Q5s TC with the Topping A90 so at least I'm not completely without my music.

As for Vesper, it does appear that they are no longer in business. COVID hit so many small businesses hard so it's understandable. If anyone has successfully re-shelled their SE846, can you advise which shell kit you purchased? Thanks!

Aug 2, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #3,218 of 3,218
Had some health stuff come up so I wasn't able to respond right away. On top of the failure of the left earbud from my original SE846, the used pair I picked up has now got a cracked case on the left earbud. Not sure how it happened but one day I went to remove them from my ear and the shell separated and I ended up breaking the wires going to the MMCX connector. I have managed to repair it and tried to reshell it, but the shell kit I bought won't fit the SE846 internals, even though that's what it was advertised for. The replacement shells even have SE846 imprinted on them, but there are 2 more 'posts' to join the two halves of the shell more securely. I could use my Dremel to remove those posts but then the shell will need to be glued to stay together.

On top of this, my Topping DX7 Pro just died as well. Went to lower the volume using the front panel knob and it would only let me increase the volume. I thought it might be a glitch so I powered off and now it won't power back on. I've removed all cables and am leaving power disconnected overnight to bleed off residual charge from capacitors. I'm not very hopeful though as others have experienced the same issue and had to return their unit to China for repair.

I've been an electronics tech for 35+ years so I'd be willing to try the repair myself if they can tell me which parts to order. I've sent an email off to Topping to see what they say. For now I'm using my Fiio Q5s TC with the Topping A90 so at least I'm not completely without my music.

As for Vesper, it does appear that they are no longer in business. COVID hit so many small businesses hard so it's understandable. If anyone has successfully re-shelled their SE846, can you advise which shell kit you purchased? Thanks!
Try posting over on the SE846 impressions thread here. There are tons of owners with experience, and I’m sure they’d be happy to help. This thread is a bit old and inactive so you’ll definitely have better luck over there.

Too bad about vesper audio ☹️.They seemed like nice people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back